Meditech

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to start career

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, good health care benefits.

Cons

Low pay, management is a little stale.

We are a technical company - LOSE the 1940s phones

Senior Applications Specialist (Implementation)

Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will be doing work way above your pay grade which is great experience and invaluable. Great way to travel the country if you're in a travel position.

Cons

If you have any student/car/home loans you will live paycheck to paycheck the first several years. Also, depending on what group you end up working in you can either be bored or super overworked.

Hire a consulting company to teach you how to retain staff and for peets sake get rid of the 60's phones without hold/speaker/mute functions.

MEDITECH provides a good, stable, family-friendly workplace.

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people at any employer can make or break your experience. As with any large employer, MEDITECH has its share of good and not-so-good, but the company is generally willing to work with people to find a good job fit once you're in.

Cons

Historically, MEDITECH has not paid particularly competitive salaries, and with its proprietary technology, it has felt that it didn't need to. This is starting to turn around, but more in the salaries for new hires that for long term employees.

It's long past time to move away from the proprietary technologies and embrace well-established commercial technologies. The rest of the world has moved beyond the 1960's.

Good Company

I have been working at Meditech

Pros

Great Environment to work in. Everyone seemed to enjoy where they were at in the business. Nice office and understanding management. Looking forward to hearing back from them on interview process.

Cons

Long interview Process. Still waiting on hearing back from them on the outcome. Could have briefed interviewees on having to take a personality test and write an essay.

Best viewed as a paid internship to people fresh out of college

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A good opportunity for recent graduates. The best way to think of Meditech is as a paid internship, stick around for a year or two, and then find another job. Buffalo chicken week was the highlight of my employment.

Cons

The compensation is easily half what you could be making elsewhere in the industry. Since leaving the company I've more than tripled my salary, and look forward to going into work each day. The morale within our division was quiet low, nearly everyone who I became friends with when I first started either left in the months before I did, or soon after I left. That kind of environment wouldn't make anyone want to stay for long.

Good for the experience, good for no more than a few years

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The benefits are good. If you're older, I hear the healthcare benefits are top-notch. If you're a young guy like me, this won't really help you.
    - There is a good work/life balance. Although you have set hours, bosses are easy going about leaving early or coming in late on days you need to.
    - If you are not the breadwinner in your family, this is a good place to work and bring in a little extra money for the family.
    - My group was very laid back but we got work done too. I would consider it a "fun" place to work if you have the right group.
    - Consistent raises every year.
    - Good experience to get a job elsewhere. I took a 20k increase in pay at my next job with the MEDITECH experience I took away.

Cons

- Low starting salary (36-37k for my position). The raises are consistent, but 3 years in, you're still at an entry level salary in the low 40s.
    - High turnover, lots of people are in and out within 2.5 years.
    - Not a lot of career growth. There is no human resources, and so you will need to work your boss's boss if you want to move up to what amounts to a cosmetic improvement. There is not a lot of growth up the ladder as well. For the most part, supervisors have been there at a minimum 5 or 6 years. For the most part, managers are about 10-15 years. This requires you to put a lot of time into the company at the expense of learning new skills and making more money.
    - Supervisors and Managers do not get a pay increase for the job, just an increase in their pay cap.
    - It is the company culture to put in a lot of time and be all-for the company. A lot of people seem complacent with their job because the company fosters those who 'stick it out'. They are just collecting the paycheck and the bonus that they rant about. They don't seem to realize that tons of other companies out there offer an equal or better bonus.
    - I found the company to be a bit unforgiving. When I left the company after three and a half years, I was walked out the day I put in my two weeks notice, without a thank you for your time and hard work. I guess they had a bad breakup in the past at some point and never quite got over it.

Foster growth for those who have your entry-level positions. The morale was awful in my group.

Best place to work for 2013 is not. If you need a job, this is the place. A job is better than no job.

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule (Development only), food in cafeteria is cheap, free soda, good office environment, free coffee, can use a small gym if you have the time, excellent health care coverage, $4,000 tuition reimbursement per year, a year end bonus but the tax rate is 35%, a $3,500 bonus is available if you recommend someone to work at Meditech which also gets taxed at a high rate so after taxes you get $1,225. You also get 13 paid holidays, the first 2 years of employment you accrue 6.67 hours per month for vacation and on your third year you start accruing 10 hours per month. Finally after 3 years of employment, you can petition to work from home 1 day a week.

Cons

Low salary, no 401K, poor management (Meditech thinks that because you are a good programer or a good specialist then you must be a good manager/supervisor), there is a profit sharing plan which employees can buy into it but since this is not a public traded company, Meditech decides at what price you can buy/ sell your shares and you can only sell them back to Meditech. Meditech likes to hire people right out of college to mostly work for service, implementation or marketing. These positions pay the least and requires long hours of work and in some cases you have to work or travel to a site on weekends or holidays without any extra compensation. People in service and implementation usually last between 1 to 3 years and most marketing personnel usually 4 to 5 years. If you are a new employee regardless of the position, you will be required to travel between buildings for training sessions for about 15 months and there is no compensation for the hundreds of miles traveled.

Management does a lot of micromanagement and employes feel as they are always being watched. Employees would work a lot harder if there was trust. Hire experts not just people right out of college so the company can create innovative products. Increase salaries in every department so employees think twice before leaving. Add the annual bonus to the employees' salary so the tax rate is lower than 35%. A real benefit would be to incorporate that bonus into my salary. Finally reduce the bonus that directors get so it can be more equitable. Bonuses for 2013: Pappalardo $600,000, Polimeno $300,000, Messing $800,000, Manzolillo $400,000, and Lefthes $400,000.

MEDITECH Implementation Specialist

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, no micromanaging, great travel opportunity, good balance of individual and teamwork, great bonus structure and benefits and fun challenging environment

Cons

Salary not very competitive for field, salary increases non negotiable, do not work hard enough to keep hard working employees happy

Work harder on making good employees happy and retaining these employees.

Flexible but the pay could be better

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible workplace mainly depends on our management team, the longer you stay at Meditech the more benefits you will receive.

Cons

hard to advance and sometimes feel ignored by upper management, the reorg has diminished employee moral and value as well as stagnant raises.

share more information about company plans and increase base pay

Working at Meditech has been a great opportunity

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic Benefits. Good working environment (in the Atlanta building). Rewarding work. Employees have never been laid off. If you have a good head on your shoulders and can pass their rigorous programming tests in the interviews, you can get a job here with just an associates degree and no prior experience, perfect for an entry level shoe-in-the-door. Even still, with the benefits and bonuses, it can make for a great life-long career. Very flexible hours for some groups. After three year tenure, working from home is allowed one day a week which can really help for long commuters. Raises have been pretty sweet so hard work is recognized.

Cons

Mid to low range salary for the industry standard, but the benefits + bonuses make up for this a bit (Meditech pays 90% of health insurance premiums, and for a family package health insurance is $18k+ a year so that's huge - and then bonuses have typically been ~4% of your last 5 commulative salary so for a $40k per year employee of five years will get a $10k bonus every year, but having a $45k salary as a programmer is pretty low). People complain about bad management but I haven't seen much of this in my group and anything in the higher echelons hasn't really affected me in any way. My building is in Atlanta and can be a bad commute depending on where you live. It's also not the in the friendliest of neighborhoods, so safety in the parking lot at night is a concern and so is car left.

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo