Meditech Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.1

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

good for an entry level. Get your feet wet for a couple years and then scram

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good work environment.

Cons

No real career growth. Pay is below average and does not increase quickly enough. Everyone starts out entry level. They should hire people with experience.

Higher starting salary and hire people with experience. They pretty much go hand in hand.

I'm young and I'm underpaid...

Current Employee - Applications Specialist
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All locations are right off the highway. Free coffee. Decent cafeteria food. 90% paid health/dental. Tuition reimbursement even for courses that have nothing to do with your job. That's about it.

Cons

Bad management- promoting from within sounds great until you realize it means they promote people who know the software, not how to manage people. They also often get lazy once promoted, at least the younger ones. Supervisors seem to forget that the stupid low cubicles mean that their staff can see everything they're doing, including browsing the internet all day. Oh, and there no HR, so if you want to complain about your supervisor it has to be to your manager, and if they love all the supervisors under them...well, good luck with that.

Low pay- the pay is laughable, and don't let the alleged "range" they give in the interviews fool you- there's a set amount and you're going to get it, whether you're straight out of college or have years of experience in the workforce. The higher ups seem to think that the benefits make the low pay okay- like having health & dental insurance is unheard of. Specialists are paid what seems like an okay amount until you realize what the rest of the industry makes. Programmers are revoltingly underpaid, even those in development, and the CEO and VPs have flat out asked their young development programmers "what can we do to keep you ASIDE from paying you more" when they pay $20-40k less per year than is reasonable- especially for how busy development is. They will always find reasons not to give appropriate raises, citing slow sales, and yet the CEO still takes home $800,000+ in a bonus every year and they keep buying more buildings...

Understaffed- no matter how fast they hire, they can't keep up with the demand. No matter if you're a programmer or a specialist, there's too much work. Meditech hires for the business they HAVE, not the business they WANT, so they continue to get more sites without hiring enough to keep people from drowning in their work. 9-5:30 with half an hour for lunch- that's funny. Not only do many people work through lunch, but they also have to work overtime (unpaid, of course,) because even with every day being a full 8.5 hours, there just isn't enough time to get it all done.

Culture- it's college all over again. Gossip is the preferred social currency. Everyone is young so drinking is the fun thing to go do for group bonding time. Their official corporate culture has recently taken a really annoying tilt towards "wellness", and they're constantly pushing their employees to start lunchtime walking and running clubs and the like, which just sounds great until you remember how for most people the choice is to work through lunch or to get further behind on tasks.

Cubicles- they're low. No privacy, no ability to focus if you're early distracted by conversations. I often have to work in headphones.

No 401k- they have profit sharing, and to be blunt, I doubt it's as valuable as an actual retirement plan. Plus you conveniently aren't fully vested until after most people leave, so if you resign after a couple of years you're not taking much home with you.

Low end computers- it's a technology company and they give people Compaqs. Until I stated I didn't even know they still MADE Compaqs. No matter what make you get, it's probably going to have something wrong with it. They're stingy with monitor upgrades and splitters for two monitors as well.

The company has also begun to focus too much on rolling out big new software and not enough on making it stable. Many of the current releases are buggy- which goes back to development being overworked. It's hard to blame them when there are simply not enough people to code all the requests that come in.

I'm sure I've missed some specifics, but I think that what Meditech boils down to is that it's a great place to work long-term, especially for people with kids because of the flexibility you're afforded with the ability to work part time or after hours and the size of the bonus once you've been there for a while. But your experience will depend greatly on your supervisor and manager, and if they're terrible at their job- either lazy or outright mean, I've heard of both- you'll hate going in to work every day. If you can eventually get in with a good team of coworkers and supervisors/managers and you can hold out for that bonus- which can end up making a good $10k difference in your yearly salary after you've been there for five years- that's great. But most Meditechers can't make it past the first couple of years, either because they're actively looking elsewhere due to their dissatisfaction or because a recruiter snaps them up with a superior salary- not hard to find in this field. Meditech is an okay stepping stone, but they're only a lifetime career if you're extremely patient and willing to wait years for a payout...and not ambitious at all.

Get your supervisors better management training. GET AN HR DEPARTMENT SO PEOPLE CAN ACTUALLY REPORT BAD MANAGEMENT. Pay people what they're worth. Stop being so stingy.

If you're not entry level then keep it moving

I have been working at Meditech

Pros

health benefits, cheap cafeteria food, every holiday off

Cons

too much dead weight. too many "settled" people who do the bare minimum. no human resources dept

get a real hr dept so that employees don't feel intimidated when they have an internal issue, get a proper policy manual that explains the rules of the company instead of letting each manager make their own rules. get rid of the dead weight and pay the people that want to work hard more money

Good company, slow climb to a higher salary

I have been working at Meditech

Pros

Culture is good
    9-5 hours are consistent
    Bonus is good if you stay for a while
    Benefits employees who stay a long time in salary, bonus, and vacation time

Cons

Takes too long to get to a salary you want.
    Can do the bare minimum and barely receive less in salary than someone who works much harder.

Great Entry Level Company

I have been working at Meditech

Pros

+ Gain a ton of marketable experience
    + Beautiful facilities
    + Company picnic and christmas party are amazing

Cons

+ Non-competitive pay
    + Convoluted Upper management
    + Product is poor

Don't let the good ones go so easily. Make the pay competitive after 3 years

Pretty ok...

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Canton, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's like a cult, but in a good way. If you aren't a 'joiner' or don't want to share details of your personal life at work, this isn't the place for you.

Cons

It's like a cult...you spend time with these people during the week and often on the weekends. Slow to advancement...

You're doing A-Ok...

Low initial pay, but job security

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security. Eventually bonus and stock options add up.. but you'll never be driving a Lexus.

Cons

Low initial salary, a lot of grunt work.

Two Words, Bad Company

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good with this company is the health insurance as well as the cafeteria. The kitchen staff are exceptional guys.

Cons

After the first two months, they throw you under the bus, practically setting you up to fail. The turnover rate is quite incredible. At least 5 people in the company leave each month, which doesn't look good in a potential applicant's eyes. They don't get fire, they quit. Meditech doesn't want to pay for unemployment, so they do everything they can to get the current employees to quit, therefore not being eligible for unemployment.

By working here for over a year, I've seen many ways in how they try to get employees to quit:

- Low salary
      - No raise (said they can't afford raises, meanwhile, they can afford a multi-million dollar picnic)
      - Set you up to fail, big time
      - Supervisors/managers don't provide much help (if you ask a question, they look at you like you're an idiot)

I heard this exact story from many others before I started, and now I completely understand what they were saying. Do yourself a favor, if you're not working and currently receiving unemployment, don't throw it away by working for this disgraceful company. If you work at Meditech, you'll have to deal with the younger, twenty year old "children" that still believe they're in college. Meditech should think about hiring more mature staff and not idiots that just came out of a frat house. Also Meditech should think about upgrading their system and appliances (phones, printers, etc.) because they are a bit on the older side. I can't tell you how many times the system crashed on me or how often the internet connection goes down. It's quite embarrassing, getting a call from a customer asking for help and me having to say "Oh I apologize, but I can't help right now as our internet connection is down." You think the customer feels comfortable knowing they just purchased a very expensive piece of software and hear the Meditech Support Specialist saying we can't help because they can't maintain their internet connection? I sure don't think they'd feel comfortable. I for one, would want to give the software back, get refunded and use something else.

So please don't apply for a job here because one year later, you may be saying the exact same thing I'm saying.

I strongly recommend that upper management start to see the light and hire much more experienced supervisors to lead the way for the specialists. This whole business of promoting from within is good, but also very bad. Bad in the sense of these employees having no idea how to supervise. Just because they know the software, doesn't mean they know how to supervise. Two completely different things. Also, I think you should think about nixing the company picnic and give us some raises. I think we, the specialists are the most deserving of raises because we are the ones interacting with the customers, taking the blame for other employees mistakes, and because we work incredibly hard and feel that we have nothing to show for it. Give us what we want and we'll work even harder.

Depends what you're looking for

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-It's a good place to start out and get your feet wet in a corporate setting. There are many young professionals right out of college and the atmosphere is pretty low-key in many groups.

-They're loyal to their employees as long as you don't give them a hard time. Stick with them, do things their way, and you'll probably be taken care of.

-Medical/dental coverage is outstanding. They pay 90 percent.

-Annual bonus is a great add-on to your salary. I don't remember the exact formula but it's something like 4 percent of your earnings for the last five years. In other words, it adds up, especially if you've been there for a while.

-This is a good field to get into. Everything in the medical world is trending toward the electronic, so it's one of the few areas where it seems like there will be growth and steady work.

Cons

-Like everyone has said, the starting salaries are rough. Don't get me wrong, I made enough to live on but you're not going to get rich here. Starting out, first job? Fine, you're not supposed to have it made yet. But if you're living in Boston or the suburbs, you've got to stay here a long time, through a bunch of annual raises and bonuses, before you'll have some breathing room.

-All their locations are outside the 128 belt, so if you're looking to ride the T in every day and hit up downtown afterward this isn't the place for you.

-Their proprietary software is clunky and inefficient, and their insistence on using it seems to be based on stubbornness rather than any coherent philosophy.

-A decentralized approach taken to extremes. It's nice that they allow lots of flexibility and let each group and department decide what works for them. But it wouldn't hurt to set a few more top-down ground rules that would apply to everyone. It's very possible that your group will have casual dress days, get a 30-minute work-free lunch in the caf, and leave on time every day... while your buddy the next group over wears a tie every day, is "encouraged" to take working lunches at his desk, and stays until 6 or 7 regularly. There are always rumblings about this, and some of the complaining is justified.

-Lots of turnover at the bottom of the food chain, not enough at the top. People in their first year or two are coming and going all the time. People who have been there forever, have been there forever and aren't going away anytime soon. The administration will talk about the "average" turnover rate, but they basically fudge the numbers by not counting anyone who leaves in their first year (or maybe it's two). Upper management tends to be stale and you get a lot of people who aren't doing much work, but will hang around for the rest of their career. It's hard to get canned unless you do something egregious, and it can be aggravating when there's not a lot of pay separation between someone who's going through the motions and someone who's been going all out for years. Additionally, a lot of people who are not management material end up with senior/supervisory titles by default just because they've stuck around for so long.

-There is a cult-like vibe around the company that is always just below the surface. Employees are told constantly what a great place to work it is and how lucky they are to have such great management. Company founders and bigwigs are venerated. There is a strong resistance to new ideas or anything coming from outside the company. If you even voice the thought of leaving you may be walked out. Upper management takes everything very personally, like it's unfathomable that any job, way of doing things, or opportunity could possibly surpass what's available at MT. There are a lot of people who have totally bought into the company as a way of life and it's creepy (the ones who are sitting at lunch in February fantasizing about what might be new at the company picnic this summer).

Lighten up. This is not a bad place to work but it's not the alpha and omega of medical IT, and life outside the walls isn't as nasty, brutish, and short as upper management would have us believe.

Low initial pay, No real performance reviews, very little movement up their ladder

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Job Security (for now) Hospital IT field has many more HIS in play.
    - Opens door for work within hospitals

Cons

- Supervisors aren't required to know their APPLICATION/Modules, making it hard for them to help their staff.

- They do not fire the people that hold groups down, and those same people get the same raises

- Starting Pay

- Don't rehire ex-workers that leave on good terms. Those workers know the systems.

- Training can take 1 year, but should take much less.

- Disproportion of work among teams, groups, modules.

I gave a two week notice, and on that very same day they literally told me to write a letter of resignation, and then they proceeded to walk me out the door. This is after 3 years of work and not 1 bad performance review. That is no way to treat someone who put in time and effort to help customers.

Management, stop using the motto "At least you have a Job" . Many occasions suggestions to better groups were shot down because they did not fit the mold of Meditech's old ways, and I would hear from managers and supervisors "At least you have a Job".

Meditech is consistently losing its best employees to other companies or hospitals. They should focus on wow to get those employees back or why they left, instead of hiring College Grads at low wages with no experience.

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo