Meditech

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great first job/stepping stone for next job

Development Specialist (Former Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsStable, secure, excellent benefits, great working environment, annual bonuses.

ConsThe company does not value their employees as much as they should. Everyone is expendable. During my time there, I saw numerous people leave because management refused to give them more pay or let them transfer to a more desirable position within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good people and treat them right. Give them what they deserve. By losing all of these great workers, the quality of your product is going to decline, and this will be detrimental to not only you, but also all of your healthcare clients.

Good First Job

Westwood, MA

Pros-Benefits
    -Subsidized Lunches
    -Company Parties
    -Great place to get Healthcare experience
    -Laid Back
    -No Pressure
    -Work/Life Balance

Cons-Pay
    -Lack of Mobility
    -Lack of HR
    -Promote those who stick around
    -Lots of mediocre employee, who do the minimum
    -Many manager and supervisors are not qualified and only got that position due to tenure

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing all your highly skilled employee leave for greener pastures. Increase pay raises based on performance not on only allocating a certain amount to each group. Could be a great place but you decided to live with mediocracy.

Decent job, especially right out of college

Senior Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsAnnual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance

ConsLow salary, mediocre raises, boring

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better raises to those who deserve them

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start, but lacking in long term potential.

Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsNot a high-pressure sales environment - no quotas will be a positive for some. Great co-workers, great cafe, year end bonus for all employees.

ConsSales territories are getting smaller, which means sales bonuses, which were already decreasing with hospitals settled in with current vendors for ARRA, are also getting smaller.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for sales staff to naturally decrease over time, and stop hiring additional sales reps - at least until business picks up after ARRA.

A good career starter & for long term employees.

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

Pros- Good benefits for the most part.
    90% of health/dental insurance is paid by the company. Two weeks of sick time/two weeks of vacation for the first two years of employment, which then gets bumped up to 3 weeks. The cafeteria is subsidized by Meditech, so lunches are pretty cheap. You can get a burger/fries/drink for about $4. The food tends to be pretty good overall. After two years you're allowed one 'work from home' day a week.

- Work/Life balance
    You don't take work home with you. I've worked at Meditech for three years and haven't worked more than 50 hours in a week since I started. Meditech offers 24/7 customer support, so any ongoing issues can easily be handed off to the 2nd/3rd shift employees.

- Job Security
    Meditech tends to not fire employees for whatever reason. After three years I've known 2-3 employees that have been fired. You need to be a serious screwup to get fired. On the one hand it's great to know you don't need to be looking over your shoulder for the hammer to drop, on the other hand this leads to a good amount of apathy/complacency since you know you won't be fired as long as you're barely competent.

Cons- Compensation
    As mentioned in every other review, the compensation at Meditech is pathetic in comparison to the industry average. I was hired as a programmer around 38k and after 3 years I'm making roughly 45k, still well below starting salary at most companies, especially in the Greater Boston area. The compensation model is geared toward longer tenured employees. Since the starting salary is so low, they expect employees to invest in company stock. The yearly bonus is tied to how much you've made in the last 5 years, so again geared towards longer tenured employees. I hear that the compensation does catch up eventually with dividend payments + the bonus. Lots of good employees tend to stick around for a year or two, then find a much higher paying job at another health care organization/hospital. Pay increases are only done on a yearly basis and can only be in $1200 increments. For what reason, I don't know.

- Management
    You're Meditech experience can made/broken depending on your supervisor. Some allow autonomy and tend to leave you alone, some micromanage and will be constantly breathing down your neck. Some will hound you over internet usage, some won't. Some will go to bat for you, etc... Your mileage can vary wildly depending on your supervisor.

-Transferable skills
    There basically are none as a programmer. Saying you can code in MAT/Magic to any other company other than Meditech is like saying you can speak Klingon. Meditech uses proprietary software at every level, so none of that experience is transferable to any other company except those hospitals that also use that software.

- Promotions
    The way Meditech handles promotions is a little ridiculous. Promotions don't guarantee a pay bump, it just raises the 'pay ceiling' for whatever you make. So for instance an employee can have their yearly review in April, get promoted in May, then will work at their current salary for 11 months before their next yearly review in April. Even then, the promotion only raises your pay ceiling, so you might not get a bump then either, however you probably would.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to revisit your compensation model. It may have been a good model back when Meditech was rapidly growing as a company, but now that it's a more stable company with slower long term growth, the model is outdated. You need to offer more competitive salaries in order to incentivize employees to stay. I'm not sure if management is aware of the growing student loans/debt issue with recent graduates, but I've seen numerous employees leave the company due to needing a higher salaried position to pay for their loans.

Hire programmers with programming experience. While I understand that Meditech hires employees with any degree, the fact that the company hires programmers with Math degrees and have never written a "Hello World" program in their life is frankly ridiculous. If I'm talking with a fellow programmer and mention 'regular expressions', their reaction shouldn't be to look at me like I have seven heads. It's embarrassing.

Good job out of college

Westwood, MA

ProsVery flexible, laid back work environment
    Everyone is friendly and willing to help you learn the system
    Ability to travel the country after a few months of training
    Job security

ConsCan be boring material
    It takes a long time to reach a promotion
    There aren't many incentives to work hard

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more incentives to motivate employees to stay

Nice place to start career

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsFriendly, good health care benefits.

ConsLow pay, management is a little stale.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a technical company - LOSE the 1940s phones

Senior Applications Specialist (Implementation)

Senior Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsYou will be doing work way above your pay grade which is great experience and invaluable. Great way to travel the country if you're in a travel position.

ConsIf you have any student/car/home loans you will live paycheck to paycheck the first several years. Also, depending on what group you end up working in you can either be bored or super overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a consulting company to teach you how to retain staff and for peets sake get rid of the 60's phones without hold/speaker/mute functions.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Flexible but the pay could be better

Westwood, MA

Prosflexible workplace mainly depends on our management team, the longer you stay at Meditech the more benefits you will receive.

Conshard to advance and sometimes feel ignored by upper management, the reorg has diminished employee moral and value as well as stagnant raises.

Advice to Senior Managementshare more information about company plans and increase base pay

A great place to work, but they do a lousy job with developing and appreciating staff.

Senior Development Programmer (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsThe coworkers make it great - most staff truly are a lot of fun to work with.
    Work/life balance is great, and telecommuting (1 or 2 days a week, depending) is a great perk.
    The work is challenging, interesting, and you feel like you're really helping the world.

ConsManagement does a poor job managing talent. Too often you have to be in the right place at the right time - they never go out of their way to help you grow in your career. While it's true that a good employee should not worry about titles, it's also true that you do appreciate being given further responsibilities and opportunities to grow. Often the person who happens to be in a group is the one promoted, even if they're a poor choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a continuing theme on glassdoor, and among those I speak with at MEDITECH, that there needs to be 1) better training for supervisors and managers and 2) an HR department to help develop staff.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings in Westwood, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.