Meditech Reviews in Westwood, MA

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work!

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Bonus, Employee Benefits, Company Picnic
    Beautiful Buildings to work in, Great Technology

Cons

Hours are a little late for my liking 9-5:30.

Easy work, low pay, reluctant to change

Current Employee - Development Programmer  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work is relatively easy and, work life balance and benefits are great. Work from home available after one year, ability to buy company stock which pays a good dividend, high annual bonus

Cons

LOW pay for entry level employees, pay not increased when transferring to a higher paid position, no attempt to increase pay for current employees when starting salaries rise.

Raise starting salaries, allow employees to get a salary review more than once per year if they are good, bring in new blood with fresh outside experience into development management positions

It's like meeting&dating the man of your dreams and finding out he's married. ;)

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, easy work, marriott points galore(best benefit), opportunity to travel and enjoy our great country.
    Happy place to start (until you realize how poor the pay is and how nonexistent progress will be)
    Staff r nice but that says nothing about the company, u can find nice staff working at a junkyard or a car wash but that doesn't mean you're going to work there now does it? ..as always there are plenty idiotic staff who annoy you because of their constant need to kiss bum and b seen kissing bum.

Cons

Where to start....as said, depends on your supervisor. I have an ok one, makes life easier but majority of the supervisors here are a bunch of complete junkboxes; Lowlife long tenured peeps who don't know a lot about a lot and just know what they know cos they've been there forever. They sit around gossiping and plotting the 'underbus pushing' of the next employee...and their superiors get involved too. Wish I could name names but that would be low.

Probably pointless to tell u that salary is ridiculous and raises are as foolish and baseless as the gossipy supervisors.

Resistant to change, they will rather die stupid than progress in their mentality

Before I forget, let me just tell you, take a meditech job if u get offered before finding anything else, stay for about 2-3yrs to get experience and build resume and fly out before u get roped into this nonforward thinking/nonforward movement setting. To move up, you have to be there forever and u have to master the art of moving your lips towards superior bums ...A.k.a kiss superior arse with your hands raised so they can see u.

The only thing that excites them is a new web based product on the way ...which they should have thought of ages ago.

Ehm, let me be unoriginal this time and steal what someone said...GTH :D

Only one person(or 2 maximum) is great and visionary but unfortunately , SHE won't be the next CEO, I believe - reorg in progress or complete they say, we see what comes out of that.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great to get a head start

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees and managers alike are amazing people, and some of the best I've ever worked with. Work is consistent and keeps coming, while not ever being too stressful.

Cons

Work is very easy if you have any background at all in your field. Pay is very, VERY low.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're great! Perhaps raise wages to keep some more talented employees.

Good First Job

Pros

-Benefits
    -Subsidized Lunches
    -Company Parties
    -Great place to get Healthcare experience
    -Laid Back
    -No Pressure
    -Work/Life Balance

Cons

-Pay
    -Lack of Mobility
    -Lack of HR
    -Promote those who stick around
    -Lots of mediocre employee, who do the minimum
    -Many manager and supervisors are not qualified and only got that position due to tenure

Stop allowing all your highly skilled employee leave for greener pastures. Increase pay raises based on performance not on only allocating a certain amount to each group. Could be a great place but you decided to live with mediocracy.

Decent job, especially right out of college

Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance

Cons

Low salary, mediocre raises, boring

Give better raises to those who deserve them

Great place to start, but lacking in long term potential.

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Not a high-pressure sales environment - no quotas will be a positive for some. Great co-workers, great cafe, year end bonus for all employees.

Cons

Sales territories are getting smaller, which means sales bonuses, which were already decreasing with hospitals settled in with current vendors for ARRA, are also getting smaller.

Allow for sales staff to naturally decrease over time, and stop hiring additional sales reps - at least until business picks up after ARRA.

Great first job/stepping stone for next job

Former Employee - Development Specialist  in  Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Development Specialist in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable, secure, excellent benefits, great working environment, annual bonuses.

Cons

The company does not value their employees as much as they should. Everyone is expendable. During my time there, I saw numerous people leave because management refused to give them more pay or let them transfer to a more desirable position within the company.

Keep the good people and treat them right. Give them what they deserve. By losing all of these great workers, the quality of your product is going to decline, and this will be detrimental to not only you, but also all of your healthcare clients.

A good career starter & for long term employees.

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good benefits for the most part.
    90% of health/dental insurance is paid by the company. Two weeks of sick time/two weeks of vacation for the first two years of employment, which then gets bumped up to 3 weeks. The cafeteria is subsidized by Meditech, so lunches are pretty cheap. You can get a burger/fries/drink for about $4. The food tends to be pretty good overall. After two years you're allowed one 'work from home' day a week.

- Work/Life balance
    You don't take work home with you. I've worked at Meditech for three years and haven't worked more than 50 hours in a week since I started. Meditech offers 24/7 customer support, so any ongoing issues can easily be handed off to the 2nd/3rd shift employees.

- Job Security
    Meditech tends to not fire employees for whatever reason. After three years I've known 2-3 employees that have been fired. You need to be a serious screwup to get fired. On the one hand it's great to know you don't need to be looking over your shoulder for the hammer to drop, on the other hand this leads to a good amount of apathy/complacency since you know you won't be fired as long as you're barely competent.

Cons

- Compensation
    As mentioned in every other review, the compensation at Meditech is pathetic in comparison to the industry average. I was hired as a programmer around 38k and after 3 years I'm making roughly 45k, still well below starting salary at most companies, especially in the Greater Boston area. The compensation model is geared toward longer tenured employees. Since the starting salary is so low, they expect employees to invest in company stock. The yearly bonus is tied to how much you've made in the last 5 years, so again geared towards longer tenured employees. I hear that the compensation does catch up eventually with dividend payments + the bonus. Lots of good employees tend to stick around for a year or two, then find a much higher paying job at another health care organization/hospital. Pay increases are only done on a yearly basis and can only be in $1200 increments. For what reason, I don't know.

- Management
    You're Meditech experience can made/broken depending on your supervisor. Some allow autonomy and tend to leave you alone, some micromanage and will be constantly breathing down your neck. Some will hound you over internet usage, some won't. Some will go to bat for you, etc... Your mileage can vary wildly depending on your supervisor.

-Transferable skills
    There basically are none as a programmer. Saying you can code in MAT/Magic to any other company other than Meditech is like saying you can speak Klingon. Meditech uses proprietary software at every level, so none of that experience is transferable to any other company except those hospitals that also use that software.

- Promotions
    The way Meditech handles promotions is a little ridiculous. Promotions don't guarantee a pay bump, it just raises the 'pay ceiling' for whatever you make. So for instance an employee can have their yearly review in April, get promoted in May, then will work at their current salary for 11 months before their next yearly review in April. Even then, the promotion only raises your pay ceiling, so you might not get a bump then either, however you probably would.

You need to revisit your compensation model. It may have been a good model back when Meditech was rapidly growing as a company, but now that it's a more stable company with slower long term growth, the model is outdated. You need to offer more competitive salaries in order to incentivize employees to stay. I'm not sure if management is aware of the growing student loans/debt issue with recent graduates, but I've seen numerous employees leave the company due to needing a higher salaried position to pay for their loans.

Hire programmers with programming experience. While I understand that Meditech hires employees with any degree, the fact that the company hires programmers with Math degrees and have never written a "Hello World" program in their life is frankly ridiculous. If I'm talking with a fellow programmer and mention 'regular expressions', their reaction shouldn't be to look at me like I have seven heads. It's embarrassing.

Good job out of college

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible, laid back work environment
    Everyone is friendly and willing to help you learn the system
    Ability to travel the country after a few months of training
    Job security

Cons

Can be boring material
    It takes a long time to reach a promotion
    There aren't many incentives to work hard

Offer more incentives to motivate employees to stay

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!