Medivation Reviews

David T. Hung, MD

1. Amazing, Inspirational Workplace

Former Employee - Research Fellow in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Extremely intelligent people are surrounding you, smart ideas float around, and dynamic, collaborative culture is present. Very flexible work hours,

Cons

Can't really think of one. It really is an amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you have been doing. I can only envision a larger success for Medivation in the future.

2. Good company, dysfunctional HR

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Medivation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO is the best. Company portrays an innovative culture. Office location very convenient.

Cons

The growing pains the company is going through needs to be remedied fast starting with what is supposed to be the heart of the company. The HR group is dysfunctional from the top down.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your HR group and truly evaluate how the current members are not adding value to the company.

Overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Medivation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous pay, benefits and perks. Everyone loves our CEO. The company really respects and values their employees.

Cons

In my department I don't see any advancement opportunities. They seem to hire managers from outside.

5. Interview was pleasant

Former Employee - Senior Professional
    Former Employee - Senior Professional

I worked at Medivation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, they understand that the smartest way to find the best fit is understanding how the person behaved in certain situation. They don't get into the brain teaser questions or showing off how smart they are themselves.

Cons

Lack of career growth on some functional areas

6. Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Medivation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Medivation is a great place to work. The people are professional and hard working. Many have worked at a larger pharma company and have come here to find more of a home and growing/learning environment. The leadership team is very supportive and cares about their people. There are a lot of career opportunities and diversity in work that allows you to advance your career.

Cons

Being a small, but rapidly growing company, there are challenges with processes. Many people come from big pharma and they want to put processes in place to allow the organization to grow, so there are always pains when doing that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - hiring great, diverse talent, allowing people growth opportunities and making a difference in patient's lives!!!

Great place to work

I have been working at Medivation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the best work Culture, Open business people, Great facilities

Cons

Over Processed specially in IT, Over Security conscious IT environment impacting business in -ve way, Silo-ed IT organization.

Advice to Management

Review IT organization, zero work life balance for all employees,

Great company going though lots of changes/growing pains

Current Employee - Management Level in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management Level in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Medivation full-time

Pros

Benefits are awesome. Salary is above average. Very challenging and fast paced so keeps you excited 100% of the time. Medivation provides a very generous PTO and paid holidays plus we get the week and half almost when company shuts down for Xmas and New Years. The company does a lot of employees, lots of parties, catered lunches, etc. They also provide an unlimited supply of snacks (too many to list) and beverages of all kinds. David...awesome CEO. We are also voted one of the top places to work two years in a row now.

Cons

The company is going through a massive growth so lots of growing pains. There is a lot of politics. CEO promotes no silos but they exist. Upper level management is sometimes very disconnected from the reality of things. HR has taken away some nice benefits otherwise it would be an even better place to work. The benefits package is shrinking as we continue to grow. We went from a company with little to no turnover to people getting fired all the time. I suppose this is why Medivation is a great place to work...your incompetence stands out very quickly amongst high level performers.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to listen to the lower level folks...they do the work and have a much better idea of the situation versus those in upper management. Not all Directors carry their weight. Take another look at the benefits package.

Best company I ever worked for. Nobody EVER quits! They do get fired, as I found out. Everybody loves CEO.

Former Employee - IT in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Medivation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely generous in every way, life saving mission, many brilliant, thoughtful people, great location, millions in bank - no money problems, incredible benefits, good future potential, exciting products.

Cons

The crazy rate of firing seems to be a few whackos sprinkled throughout management, who otherwise are fine people to work with. I know that my boss and both levels above are no longer there, so maybe it's better now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I wish I was still there. Maybe something as serious as firing people should be reviewed by someone who doesn't take it so lightly, but honestly, I know you do have more important things to think about.

Explosive growth potential, but disorganized at the top.

I worked at Medivation full-time

Pros

Medivation, in its brief history has seen impressive growth. In attempting to support this type of growth, Medivation has done a lot to try and attract the top talent. The benefits package is pretty nice for a small biotech, but nothing compared to the dot coms and IPO darlings of Silicon Valley.

Cons

With explosive growth, there are growing pains. Medivation's leadership has seemed in the past disjointed and counter-productive. There is seemingly a lot of miscommunication at the VP level and that get filtered down through the different groups.

Advice to Management

For all the money people spend on snacks and multi-million dollar/month rent in downtown SF...spend some time, money, and effort in developing a cohesive leadership team. Develop the director level folks so that there is less prejudice and more collaboration.

Growing company, not well managed, good ol boy/girl mentality

I worked at Medivation full-time

Pros

Excellent science, great location, nice work environment, good pay/benies

Cons

Back stabbing environment, firing at the drop of a hat, not willing to work with employees honestly, good ol boy/girl network, too lean a team to accomplish deliverables successfully. People at all levels, from the top down, are regularly fired. The co has a fear-based culture for many. Even people who have been there for years and have been excellent leaders have been fired for not "playing the game".

Advice to Management

Don't let the kingpins fire good employees just for expressing an opinion. Work with, not against, good employees to develop them. Ensure enough employees on each team to succeed without killing their personal lives.

RSS Feed </> Embed