Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros:
  • "Management is very flexible and it is very easy to maintain proper work/life balance"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Great Benefits (not counting pay/bonus structure), Feels good helping people"
    in 48 reviews
Cons:
  • "To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients"
    in 25 reviews
  • "upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work, better if you are management

Memphis, TN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Benefits. Always something to do. Most coworkers are very intelligent and professional. Industry leading, high quality products. Lots of money to throw at small projects.

ConsThe balance of work is lopsided, some have little responsibility while others are covered up. Slow to promote except for managers. Limited opportunities to move up, lots of talent leave the company for better positions. High tolerance for low performers, the lazy get less work. Several layoffs in the past few years with the work being picked up by consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty please.

Mar 12, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate all feedback we receive from candidates and employees as it helps us to better evaluate where we need improvement. We have passed your feedback onto ... More

Best company I have ever worked for in 25 years. Period. Dedicated to the highest quality possible

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Medtronic full-time

ProsA company truly dedicated to its mission, patients and products. The industry leader in the majority of the markets it plays in.

ConsMarketing departments compete for attention on product lines and reduce focus on important messages. Lots of "corporate initiatives" that detract from day to day work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember how hard the field works and stop "nickle and diming" with comp and benefit cuts.

Mar 12, 2014

Thanks for your positive review. Happy to hear about your positive experience working for Medtronic!

Great company to work for

Clinical Research Specialist (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

ProsOpportunity for development growth (many different businesses and global locations)
Meaningful mission
Flexible work hours
Smart and talented employees
Great benefits

ConsMedtronic is a very big company serving many different geographies in a strictly regulated environment - all of the governing procedures can be confusing especially for people in roles serving multiple business units, geographies, etc. However, the company has a good internal learning portal and communication dissemination system.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and make an effort to communicate in a way that most employees can understand easily.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mar 12, 2014

Thanks for your positive review. Glad to hear about your positive experience working for Medtronic!

Inspirational

Associate Engineer (Current Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking in a highly-motivated environment to improve lives gives a satisfaction of working at Medtronic. Great benefits and competitive salary make employment even more enjoyable.

ConsCorporate environment, per usual, embraces the bureaucracy that makes minor tasks difficult to accomplish. This level of conformity is required in any FDA or other highly regulated industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on keepin on.

Excellent Mission

Quality Analyst (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorklife balance, company mission, competitive benefits, great focus on ethical behavior

Consconflicting direction from leadership, but a work-in-progress.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep an updated and relevant operating procedure, and incorporate training announcements with messaging, to ensure conflicting directives are not given.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mar 12, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, both constructive and positive so thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Competitive company. Rewarding career.

Territory Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company, leading products, good pay, competitive culture.

ConsLong hours. Challenges with turnover of some employee groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementHealthcare benefits on the decline.

Mar 12, 2014

Excellent people, great benefits, limited advancement opportunity.

Contracts Manager (Former Employee)
Mounds View, MN

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

ProsMedtronic is a great place to work, offering excellent people, benefits, corporate offices and compensation.

ConsUpward mobility is limited due to contractions in core markets. Established ways of doing things rule and change is very slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespond to the radical changes in the market place with radical new ideas. The burden of previous business models cannot be immediately removed, but if not addressed and changed future growth and even maintenance of current standing will be jeapordized.

Excellent

Shipping/Receiving Clerk III (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThey have great benefits and they are a great company

ConsJust has to be focused and do your work

Advice to Senior Managementjust keep up the good work and shoot for the highest.

Document Control Specialist/Trainer

Doc Control Specialist/Trainer (Former Employee)
Juncos, PR

I worked at Medtronic as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAn opportunity to growth and complete my expectations

ConsNo downsaids working for medtronic

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

Feb 20, 2014

Horrible Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Northridge, CA

I worked at Medtronic as a contractor for more than a year

ProsA lot of talented colleagues, interesting and meaningful projects, the company has a lot of money to support research projects.

ConsInexperienced managers take out frustration on employees, leading to a hostile work environment and low team morale. Extremely high turnover rate. Projects lack seasoned veterans who know how to guide the ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more positive and supportive work environment.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!

Medtronic Videos

Medtronic – Why Work for Us?

Medtronic is the world’s largest medical technology company, offering an unprecedented breadth and depth of innovative therapies to fulfill our Mission of alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life. Last… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medtronic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Medtronic CEO Omar S. Ishrak. All 644 reviews posted anonymously by Medtronic employees.