Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros:
  • "The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company"
    in 58 reviews
Cons:
  • "To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients"
    in 26 reviews
  • "upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany name holds some weight; benefits were good; time off was a joke!!

ConsTerrible training department and system. Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing in any department, especially training and management. Would NOT recommend to work there!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what's going on with your team, i.e. what they are doing and selling, what the latest regulations are.
    May want to have a few compliance and harassment courses to make sure the company understands what these things are.....

Consistently changing

StartRight Representative (Current Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

ProsI really enjoy the building environment & the people are great! The benefits are excellent!

ConsThe challenges of working here is with Poor Leadership with false promises. Communication is slim to none. Medtronic promotes many people into leadership positions that do not have leadership experience. This company is mostly a "who you know," company. This creates challenges of working with leaders who do not listen to their employees and creates low morale. Also Personal Time Off needs more of a fix. Medtronic only allows 40 hours of PTO, and many employees prefer a different approach. Promotions are based on "who you," and sometimes seen as unfair in some departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and give them what they want. Create career plans. Create more promotions in the work place and do not promise things to your employees if you cannot give it to them.

Flag Review
    Medtronic Global Talent Acquisition responded to this review May 15, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your feedback, both constructive and positive so thank you for taking the time to share your experience

In the process of looking for a new job.

ProsThe mission of Medtronic is wonderful and the desire to help customers with diabetes is what keeps me going. The benefits are very good considering they just raised in price.

ConsThere is lack of direction, lack of loyalty, lack of promoting those who truly deserve to be promoted. In 5 years of hard work for this company I have only received a 2% raise each year. I question whether or not if this is the right place for me. I have a feeling I will not only improve financially by leaving Medtronic but I will grow in ways I cannot at this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to those who work hard.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where are we going?

Senior R&D Engineer (Current Employee)
    Northridge, CA

ProsGreat Company. it has OK pay.

ConsBad Management. Few selected people get everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging cost and people should go together and not against each other. Stop favoritism.

sales representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsPay, Culture, teamwork, promotion,personal growth, perks

ConsThey will Black Ball you from the industry

Excellent experience, but they manage people resources poorly

Minneapolis, MN

ProsPlenty of extremely smart people makes it a great place to learn and grow. Company culture emphasizes work-life balance and the trust that you will get your work done. Everyone is extremely committed to the mission and to helping improve peoples' lives.

ConsMedtronic has the interesting practice of training all of their interns to go off and work for St. Jude and Boston Scientific; they do not hire anyone out of college. Frequent layoffs. They do not invest in young talent at all, which seems like a bad strategy for long-term growth. They do not have any loyalty towards their employees, everyone seems expendable.

Mediocre

ProsGood Salary and Bonus and occasional stock grants

ConsFrequent Layoffs, Company has thin product pipeline of its own and tries to grow with Acquisition of venture companies, many of which fail at hefty costs. Leadership is quite entrenched and is difficult to break in.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop your own R&D and try to hire good engineers from good engineering schools and not IVY league MBA schools.

Flag Review

Great company with a great mission.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, employee friendly, decent pay.

ConsCan be very political. Uses a lot of contractors versus investing in building employee base and loyalty.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees they have great ideas.

Engineering Manager

ProsGreat mission. Strong relations. Great company.

ConsNeed more opportunity to share manufacturing visions.

Flag Review

Be patient and open-minded, and you'll gain a lot from the experience

Pros-Flexible work schedule (just make sure you communicate and depends on supervisor)
    -Feel like I'm part of the team
    -Get to attend meetings and have resources to learn more about company
    -Friendly people -- everyone is willing to help answer questions

Cons-Everything seems overwhelming at first (be a quick learner and you'll be ok)

Flag Review

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!

Medtronic Videos

Medtronic – Why Work for Us?

Medtronic is the world’s largest medical technology company, offering an unprecedented breadth and depth of innovative therapies to fulfill our Mission of alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life. Last… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medtronic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Medtronic CEO Omar S. Ishrak. All 711 reviews posted anonymously by Medtronic employees.