Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews in Northridge, CA

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive(in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients(in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting(in 27 reviews)

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My personal review for this company.

Electrical Engineer Technician (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsWell, is a good opportunity to learn and applied my knowledge.

ConsNot really, it is a good company.

Advice to Senior ManagementExcellent, good people, good professional people.

Frustrating, but good learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsI have supportive teammates and like being in an environment that's not routine or boring.

ConsPolitics in upper management. No opportunities for growth/advancement or support from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive credit where it's due and try to empower your employees, not tear them down.

good pay and benefits

Clinical Research Manager (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

Proslots of opportunities, personal growth, company values, flexible time off, career oriented, solid company, fortune 500 company. interested in a challenging and successful work environment

Conslots of red tape. as with any big company there is lots of red tape. as the business tries to take advantage of economies of scale, they are outsourcing many activities to other groups within medtronic. not always a good idea

Advice to Senior Managementbe careful cutting corners to be fast

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where are we going?

Senior R&D Engineer (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsGreat Company. it has OK pay.

ConsBad Management. Few selected people get everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementManaging cost and people should go together and not against each other. Stop favoritism.

Medtronic Global Talent Acquisition responded to this review

May 15, 2014

Hard work but enjoyable

Scientist (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsBoundless opportunities for personal growth and development

ConsLong hours and expected to work occasional weekends

Medtronic Global Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Apr 2, 2014

We appreciate your feedback, both constructive and positive so thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Horrible Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsA lot of talented colleagues, interesting and meaningful projects, the company has a lot of money to support research projects.

ConsInexperienced managers take out frustration on employees, leading to a hostile work environment and low team morale. Extremely high turnover rate. Projects lack seasoned veterans who know how to guide the ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more positive and supportive work environment.

Company focused on the short-term

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsMedtronic presents employees with a truly challenging job in that there is never a shortage of work. You have the chance to learn new skills and diversify your experiences. Additionally, some of your co-workers are truly great.

ConsDepending on your manager, morale is very low, and has been for years. In addition to great co-workers, there are some who do not seem to do anything. Additionally, since everyone's plate is full, you will lose a lot of time without any sort of direct instruction or mentoring. Promotions and incentives are few and far between. Going above and beyond to do a great job is never rewarded, rarely acknowledged, and seldom if ever thanked.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to reinstate the quarterly goals and 360 review process. Upper management appears utterly indifferent to the constantly low morale, mismanaged workloads, poor project management, and the short-term thinking that has lead to the current problems. Additionally, turnover is excessively high and no efforts are being taken to address the issue.

DO NOT work at Medtronic Diabetes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsYou receive a paycheck and benefits.

ConsCompany does not care about the employee. Work-life balance does not exist. Middle-to-Senior Management will do whatever is in their power, whether it be legitimate or underhanded/unethical, to ensure their own personal success.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the employee. Shake-up management. Unethical behavior should not be tolerated, no matter what your role is.

Product Reporting Specialist

Product Reporting Specialist (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsLike many biotech firms, Medtronic offers very good medical benefits. They also offer educational incentives and Lean Sigma training. Over all, the incentives they offer are much stronger than the average.

ConsPay is not up to par of industry standards. Some managers have significant influence and are micromanagers, lowering over all productivity. Also, educational incentives are offered but are hard to get approval for.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanagement has the adverse effect of lowering productivity.

Great, but not my thing.

Mechanical Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Northridge, CA

ProsCompany has lots of money. They never go cheap of events.

ConsHope you're not in a hurry. Everything takes forever to get processed. And good luck with quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm sorry you have to work so hard.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!