Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive(in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients(in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting(in 27 reviews)

Great Company

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent technology and I work with great people.
    Mission is very powerful and everybody understands and supports it.
    Phd Bakken founder is still alive and he is an icon.
    Great compensation, benefits, medical , the works....
    Very international but still learning how to become global.
    The CEO has brought the stock up, great job there.

ConsMinneapolis Politics and every Division is like a different company.
    Worst culture in CRDM, nothing moves and layer over layer, needs some change.
    The CEO brings people from the outside every time he has an opportunity to a VP level specially his buddies from GE, there is an abundant talent within.
    He shows very little emotion as a leader, so difficult to rally behind him, get a coach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bringing people from the outside specially GE, there are really smart people inside Medtronic.
    Stop the splitting of businesses and putting layers of VP's and stop squeezing the people below it is not fun and every year gets more difficult to energize people.

Proud to be working for Medtronic

ProsGreat work/life balance, profitable company, great corporate vision, amazing products, great reputation in Medical device industry

ConsYou should promote your internal candidates rather hiring an outsider

Genuine effort to care for their employees

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI enjoyed the culture in Minneapolis. Everyone had pride in their work and it showed. There would be many mini special events that catered to employee health and well being.

ConsThere was a tendancy for some groups to become somwhat cliquey, which took away from the experience being as diverse.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Workplace

Principal Scientist (Current Employee) Mounds View, MN

ProsPatient focus, strong work ethics and great colleagues

ConsFuture growth opportunities very limited.

Stable job, to an extent company cares about its employees

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood structure, as a contract engineer you are paid good without any over burden of work, stable job. If you are looking for a highly defined job structure Medtronic is place to be

ConsToo much documentation but I think that's standard in Med Device companies, long development cycle 5-7 years before product can be launched

If you can survive the first year as a contracted employee, the best is hopefully yet to come.

DTA (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsOne of the greatest companies on the planet. Those with great work ethic can make a career here or build tenure/experience and be the cream of the crop to other companies hiring in the industry. Leadership (on average) is extremely driven, helping create an energetic environment. If you've proven yourself, getting requested time off is not an issue.

ConsYou have to be a contracted employee for an entire year. You will not be paid for holidays or any time taken off. Starting pay is as much as non-degreed, manufacturing laborers receive. Training continually changes, which is good, as it will only continue to improve. This location has young professionals, many of whom are doing their job (supervisors,management,trainers, etc.) for the first time. If you do not have patience dealing with young people who impact your work environment, you'll be extremely challenged here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing management from another industry, I cannot comment on first time supervisors/managers negatively as they learn to lead and manage. I only hope they embrace learning from mistakes, continual development as people, leaders, and managers, and always keep company mission first priority. Do not fill leadership inexperience voids with ego, it will only reduce respect, demoralize staff, and dissuade quality employees from staying with the company. Also, you are not padding your position by ridding yourself of staff that challenges your inexperience but digging the rut you'll stay in for the duration of your tenure at Medtronic.

Great Company to work for

Compliance Audit Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsWorking toward diversity in workforce

ConsPromotions are difficult to come by

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize exceptional talent

Great Company to work with

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Juncos, PR

ProsGreat company to work with

ConsMust be on your toes at all times, highly technical

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring about your professional consultants

Great company while job lasted.

Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat people, good working environment, excellent benefits with reasonable expectations from supervisors and managers. Excellent training in quality for medical device company.

ConsCompany lost focus and diversified too much. It became too politically correct instead of doing the right thing. Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker. Cut costs by cutting jobs became the norm instead of cutting waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with the worker. Don't cut jobs to cut costs. Cut waste to reduce costs.

Worse than some; better than most

Patient Support Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsIt's rare that you're the smartest person in the room. There are a lot of really driven people who work here; so it's easier to trust to team mates when it comes to getting a project done.

ConsSome Senior Directors have gotten where they are thanks to socializing & politicking much more than performance. Directors/VPs need to listen to the people who are in the weeds talking to patients/clients. There is some good wisdom for future decision-making to be had from listening to honest feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your teams to accomplish the tasks set before them. We're all Team Medtronic; we're all pulling for the success of Medtronic.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!