Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros:
  • "Management is very flexible and it is very easy to maintain proper work/life balance"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Great benefits and competitive salary make employment even more enjoyable"
    in 54 reviews
Cons:
  • "To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients"
    in 26 reviews
  • "upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible Management

Northridge, CA

I worked at Medtronic as a contractor for more than a year

ProsA lot of talented colleagues, interesting and meaningful projects, the company has a lot of money to support research projects.

ConsInexperienced managers take out frustration on employees, leading to a hostile work environment and low team morale. Extremely high turnover rate. Projects lack seasoned veterans who know how to guide the ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more positive and supportive work environment.

DO NOT work at Medtronic Diabetes

I worked at Medtronic full-time

ProsYou receive a paycheck and benefits.

ConsCompany does not care about the employee. Work-life balance does not exist. Middle-to-Senior Management will do whatever is in their power, whether it be legitimate or underhanded/unethical, to ensure their own personal success.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the employee. Shake-up management. Unethical behavior should not be tolerated, no matter what your role is.

Once a great culture losing its way because of cost cutting mentality

Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Flexible workplace
- Health fund packaged

Cons- Constant restructuring serving no purpose. People are let go and a few months later roles are hired for same positions with less capable employees.
- Senior leadership promoted before they are ready. For example, lacking people skills, and business acumen.
- Weak HR team. Feedback in reviews not followed up. Poor performers and managers with poor people skills are never confronted nor is feedback actioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees especially those leaving the company. Poor performers and management with poor people skills will drive out high performers.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the poorest experiences ever in healthcare. Not recommended.

None (Current Employee)
Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Medtronic as a contractor

ProsThere seemed to be few pros. Can still work an 8 hour day and achieve much more than most of the incumbent employees who are working 10-12 hour days.

Cons* Antiquated company that has not yet progressed to the 1980's.
* Treatment of women and minorities is appalling.
* Systems and processes dis-organised and only just functional, but managers ignore this and continue to pull in their salaries and bonuses.
* One manager frequently comments "Nothing in this company works", which is realistic and true assessment.
* Employees permitted to do whatever they like, regardless of job description, and no KPI's are ever set, let alone adhered to.
* Ripe for a buy out and a turnaround by a savvy capital investment company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, there is too much that needs to be done to turn this company around, and the current managers are neither committed enough, nor have the business acumen to achieve this. Best to start over with a completely new senior management team to achieve the turnaround necessary.

Don't expect to be fairly compensated... if you get paid at all

Diabetes Therapy Consultant (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Benefits (not counting pay/bonus structure), Feels good helping people

Consunfair pay structure - $5 commission per $5-7K pump sold. Yes, you read that right ... $5 - less than .1%

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees fairly, you have a great "motto" about the culture of Medtronic. But a cultural identity is only as good as it's implementation. Walk the Walk. The DTA/DTC culture is toxic. Meetings after meetings on how to "fix" things - nothing was ever done and things got worse. Promote based on real talent/experience.

Dead end job.

DTA (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company name. Get out as fast as you can.

ConsOvertime is EXPECTED, there are times when you are "dismissed" from work. Sexual harassment complaints and no follow through. Favoritism is rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are weak and there is no respected for you in San Antonio.

not good

Supply Chain Engineer (Current Employee)
Northridge, CA

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

Proslarge company good benefits for permanent employees

Conspoor management style most times

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Bad Upper Management, Changing Culture

Engineer (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood pay and benefits, smart co-workers, interesting and challenging work, most immediate managers came through the ranks and are great to work with, although senior management is another story, large company.

ConsYearly layoffs, no job security, no loyalty to long time employees, best people are leaving the company, culture changing from putting patients and employees first to putting Wall Street first, obsessed with cost savings instead of making innovative and better quality products. Many talented long term employees are leaving and work environment has become increasingly stressful and toxic. Talks about being mission focused but in reality is more Wall Street focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what made Medtronic originally a great place to work--making great products that people need and treating employees well. Spend money on R & D instead of spending millions acquiring bad companies.

Great Products! Some good people! Poor Management practice

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medtronic full-time

ProsGreat products that are life enhancers for so many clients. Global business, and great research into the products they launch.

ConsProduct recalls and weak HR staff that permit overzealous Managers to bully and 'force out' staff that question any decision

Advice to Senior ManagementThese Managers, coupled with weak HR staff, will result in law suits and tribunals from employees the business targets for removal.

Medtronic has a cult-like corporate culture

Internal Auditor (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey paid me on time.
Comfortable physical work space.

ConsIf they decide they don't like you they make you miserable trying to make you leave.
They want you to worship the company.
You are supposed to work work work.
there is not work-life balance it is all lies.
Hostile work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people right. You don't own anyone. People just want to go to work and have a life. They don't want to worship Medtronic.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!

Medtronic Videos

Medtronic – Why Work for Us?

Medtronic is the world’s largest medical technology company, offering an unprecedented breadth and depth of innovative therapies to fulfill our Mission of alleviating pain, restoring health, and extending life. Last… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medtronic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Medtronic CEO Omar S. Ishrak. All 644 reviews posted anonymously by Medtronic employees.