Medtronic

Medtronic Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak

Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive(in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company(in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients(in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting(in 27 reviews)

Great Company

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent technology and I work with great people.
    Mission is very powerful and everybody understands and supports it.
    Phd Bakken founder is still alive and he is an icon.
    Great compensation, benefits, medical , the works....
    Very international but still learning how to become global.
    The CEO has brought the stock up, great job there.

ConsMinneapolis Politics and every Division is like a different company.
    Worst culture in CRDM, nothing moves and layer over layer, needs some change.
    The CEO brings people from the outside every time he has an opportunity to a VP level specially his buddies from GE, there is an abundant talent within.
    He shows very little emotion as a leader, so difficult to rally behind him, get a coach.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop bringing people from the outside specially GE, there are really smart people inside Medtronic.
    Stop the splitting of businesses and putting layers of VP's and stop squeezing the people below it is not fun and every year gets more difficult to energize people.

Genuine effort to care for their employees

Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsI enjoyed the culture in Minneapolis. Everyone had pride in their work and it showed. There would be many mini special events that catered to employee health and well being.

ConsThere was a tendancy for some groups to become somwhat cliquey, which took away from the experience being as diverse.

Great Workplace

Principal Scientist (Current Employee) Mounds View, MN

ProsPatient focus, strong work ethics and great colleagues

ConsFuture growth opportunities very limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a Great Company, but now they only care about Numbers!

Customer Service Representative II (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsBenefits are GREAT if you were hired directly. Great job on trimming down most things on the pump t/s guide.

ConsHave too many supervisors from the outside(helpline dept) who don't know the product or how to help you meet your stats. Company expects us to meet certain metrics and still maintain a certain quality range. Company no longer cares about the customers and more about meeting numbers. Have to work most holidays and now they are starting to MICRO-MANAGE too much. Certain supervisors talk too much how they hate the company and how their bosses suck. Morale in the helpline is at all time low. Now, if you don't meet quality metrics you will be booted out the door. Also, people coming into the company now have to wait at least year before they are converted over which creates a lot of resentment. Most of the contractors I know are already looking elsewhere and don't feel valued by the company. Pay could be a lot better for what they are expecting us to do!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't create a headache for the employees busting their butt. Instead, the people who are not pulling their weight should be let go, don't punish the entire department by setting ridiculous metrics. Also, we should get some slack from quality. Basically, if you miss one little thing you fail your call. Also, the t/s guides should be trimmed down on sensor. We are not appreciating the customer's time.
     It should get back to taking care of the customer and not so much about asking a bunch of questions that seem not to have any benefit to the customer. Also, most of the supervisors need to learn our job so they can expect us to meet the metrics and quality. You cannot expect the poor team leads to take calls, do projects, help us with questions, and expect us to get our metrics where they need to be. Lastly, why are we always out of pumps and supplies?
     The company could be so awesome, but now they are more concerned about money and not so much about the customer experience.

Great place to start...Run away if you want a career

Competitive Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Fridley, MN

Pros-Résumé builder
    -Great Resources & development
    -work life balance

Cons-lack of promotions and advancement
    -Minnesota nice closed culture
    -politics gone mad & lack of senior executive development
    -intentional over hire of roles and layoffs--- only to be followed up with recast with new job requests: root out company people that are not 'Minnesota nice' good fits
    - great place for lazy old school former engineers to hide out and die as they wait for retirement ...many are hiding out in marketing or other roles where they can 'sleep'

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider bringing in fresh blood and moving offices from Minnesota to Massachusetts. Too many inbred Minnesota persons running the company resulting in a clicking culture of incompetents....promotions and rewards are based almost exclusively on relationships and hunting/fishing buddy ties.....Can't wait to see covidien east coast culture clash with Minnesota nice!

very bureaucratic

Supply Chain (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is ok...not that competitive but overall benefit package is good.

ConsVery bureaucratic...lots of paper pushing. Fluff work that is non value added.

Stable job, to an extent company cares about its employees

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood structure, as a contract engineer you are paid good without any over burden of work, stable job. If you are looking for a highly defined job structure Medtronic is place to be

ConsToo much documentation but I think that's standard in Med Device companies, long development cycle 5-7 years before product can be launched

Great Company to work with

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) Juncos, PR

ProsGreat company to work with

ConsMust be on your toes at all times, highly technical

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring about your professional consultants

Manager at Medtronic

ProsPeers have great attitude and extremely skilled

ConsPay is low for the industry. Stress levels are high. Raises have been a flat 2% for the last three years.

Blah

ProsDecent company to work for.

ConsKeeps temps to long without hiring them.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!