Medtronic

Updated January 25, 2015
3.6

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak
Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • Company culture emphasizes work-life balance and the trust that you will get your work done (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of variation between the culture between BUs which reflect in work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Operator

I worked at Medtronic

Pros

Good pay, good set hours, and awesome management

Cons

Not a lot of elevation for production operators

There is bully supervisors

I worked at Medtronic

Pros

To work inventions of medical devices

Cons

A lot of bullies and bigots

Stop the bigotry

Inside sales-Great Experience

Former Employee - DTA in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - DTA in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Medtronic

Pros

Great resume builder and chances to become a Sr... Eventually! Maybe $4/hr more!

Cons

Way underpaid for a college grad.. Now position doesn't require degree???

Pay your college grads more & maybe the turnover rate would be lower!

An interesting experience

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Great people, exciting work, work that you can be proud of

Cons

Unorganized, unreasonable deadlines, communication sometimes breaks down, politics

Fantastic Place to Work as an Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Good mission
    Wonderful smart and competent co-workers
    Robust business processes and systems make it easy to do you job

Cons

Santa Rosa is kind of in the middle of nowhere which makes it difficult to have a 2 career family.
    The pay is lower than many similar companies. By leaving Medtronic, I have doubled my salary. However, I work more hours and have more stress, so I am not always sure the extra money is worth it.
    Equal pay and promotion opportunities for women is a real problem. Some departments are hostile to female engineers but promote employees quickly. Other engineering departments are more accepting and diverse, but promote slowly and don't pay as well.

1) Improve shuttle services to more populated areas to attract and keep the best employees.
    2) Improve treatment or women in science and engineering functions.

It's a place where hard work pays of and are recognized for it.

Current Employee - Floater in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Floater in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Medtronic as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Management sees and recognizes a hard worker and will offer a permanent spot for someone who has a positive attitude with everyone and their work.

Cons

Many hours sitting. Many longtime workers start complaining of back ache, some severe.

Supportive team!!

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Some of the thing that I need to mention:-

I think I have performed very well for the past whole year, and my skills have well proven to be of great help to the organization. I have given my 100% input, worked efficiently and given my best and provided the great amount of support/hardwork that myprojects required at Medtronic. I have received equal amount of support from my managers and directors.

Cons

Lot of re structuring going on!

Medtronic in Northridge is a horribly racist place to work.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Northridge, CA

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The science and engineering is not bad. The product serves a good purpose for diabetes patients.

Cons

The manufacturing floor is extremely racist. I worked in engineering, and was very upset and disheartened with the lack of respect with which some employees are treated. Talk about segregation. Most of the department's contract (no benefit, minimum wage) workers are minority workers (Asian, Latino, ie: not white). The people manufacturing the medical devices that are inserted into other people's bodies subcutaneously are getting paid as much as the people who flip your hamburgers at McDonalds. Many of them are there on visas and are afraid to speak out due to their immigration status and fear of deportation. Management is unnecessarily spiteful and demoralizing (sometimes even hateful) to these employees, and the workers must just keep their head down for fear of losing their jobs. Many of the workers are skilled at what they do and have been there for many years. They deserve more respect. Instead they generally look fearful and anxious of being yelled at, punished, or fired. Just because Medtronic isn't legally liable for these workers due to them being contracted out doesn't given them the right to treat them subhuman.

Stop looking at the short term legal and monetary incentives of hiring contract workers. It's a very near-sighted and ignorant way of managing a workforce. There's no use in segregating contract workers and Medtronic workers, contract Engineers and Medtronic Engineers if in theory everyone is supposed to work as a cohesive team to make progress. Mistreating a significant part of your workforce (workers, Engineers, analysts who are contracted out) on the basis of them being contracted out does nothing for morale, happiness, innovation, or progress. Lesson 1: Treat everyone with respect. Somewhere along the way this basic principle has been lost in the grand money making industry of medical device and pharma.

Great company and mission but employees are overworked.

Current Employee - Diabetes Therapy Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Diabetes Therapy Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company.

Free food when you work late.

Cons

Long work hours. Must work very late at the end of the month and during holidays.

Tempe Contractors Subject to Management Whims

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great product, great product quality, friendly workforce; other divisions will gladly give you advice and lend their time and experience in helping you solve many issues with your tasks.

Cons

Contract labor faces unforeseen changing end dates that limit the contractor's output. A contractor brought in to help Medtronic employees feels unsatisfied when an end date is arbitrarily truncated by ten months; this contract change was not due to dissatisfaction with that contractor's output or work quality. There appears to be no method of allowing local management an effective way to disagree with such upper management decisions. I certainly would not recommend this campus to contractors - you are less than an afterthought here.

Upper management should increase and encourage communication with management that reports to you. How would upper management react if promises for assistance made to them were broken in such a fashion?