Medtronic Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.6

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak
Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of variation between the culture between BUs which reflect in work-life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay off the radar!

I have been working at Medtronic full-time

Pros

Mission and benefits are solid

Cons

If you go against status quo, or go to the corporate legal department/HR with an issue--you will find yourself on the "fair and objective layoff list" faster than you can blink an eye. If you work here, keep your nose to the grindstone, be a yes person and just become a corporate lemming and you'll be fine. Doesn't do much for innovation, improvement, and change, but you'll be able to keep your job.

Reward your hard workers and innovators, not the yes/ status quo employees..

Good social-minded company

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

good values, ethical, social-minded company

Cons

hierarchical decision making is slow

Developing as a company, long way to go at that time

Former Employee - Management in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Northridge, CA

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an outstanding boss, great team to work with, endorsement of the directions I was moving my group, a lot of positives.

Cons

Lots of internal factions promoted by division president's lack of personal discipline in setting, keeping direction, allowed and encouraged many different directions based on who talked to her last, low standards in business practices. Odd hiring, promotion, layoff decisions. Seemed to be running a Harvard MBA post-graduate remedial course -- several of those types running around messing up projects. Lots of hollow talk, inconsistent action.

Take accountability, set direction, react less, clean out the people who allow the business to be mediocre.

Not bad for a huge international company

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Chances to work with very talented engineers.
    * Good overall reputation (at least before the recent merger news)
    * Good salary and benefit (going downhill in recent years though)
    * Good work-life balance (YMMV though, some groups even in the same building are like sweat-shops)

Cons

* Annual layoff (not this year though) does not make you feel "valued"
    * Politics trumps engineering way too much. This plus the layoff created too many yes-men in the lower / middle managers.
    * Too much bureaucracy with so many layers of management. Nothing get changed unless there is a new initiative from middle/upper management.
    * Very easy to get pigeon-holed. Not much career development unless you are the golden boy or a brown-nose. What happens to you mostly depends on your relationship with your boss, his/her relationship with his/her boss, ....

Good

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Good pay, amazing colleagues, great personal growth

Cons

Now work life balance at all

It's a big company now...

Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The two major plusses: 1) I am so grateful to be able to work in the medical device industry and have a part in improving people's lives, and 2) really good benefits.

Cons

Over the last 10 years, Medtronic has made the shift from a fast growing, small company with an emphasis on valuing their employees to a slow growing, international, bureaucratic big company interested primarily in the bottom line. Being a big company, you will find a wide varieties of workplace sub-cultures, some good, some not so good. Where I work, there is significant distrust between employees and most levels of management. This is the result, in part, of many years of layoffs, initiatives to "level" employees (demote those that are not performing, or invite them to leave), loss of unused vacation time (it's not paid out - it's lost), a huge increase in off-shoring (remember all those layoffs? Guess who got the jobs?), and more. I've experienced 5 years of 50-60 hour work weeks with no tangible benefit (except, perhaps, being able to keep my job). I have had requests for vacation denied, as well as requests for training. In 25+ years of employment, this is the worst employer for both work/life balance and supporting employee training. This is not the same company it was 10 years ago...

Act as if your employees matter. Align word & deed with the stated company value of work/life balance.

Inanely Inefficient

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary and good benefits.

Cons

This place is a model of inefficiency and a real challenge to anyone who has an ambitious spirit. Everyday I work there it's like being forced to handle hay with a shovel although I know pitchforks are widely available and would increase efficiency like 1000%.

Due to the high level of inefficiency, I am surprised anything ever gets done. Nobody knows anything and everybody seems to be doing their assigned task for the first time, because they learned nothing the last time the task was done. Most questions are answered with "I don't know" and a shrug, even from people who have been there for years.

It's mind-numbing and I'm planning a very hasty exit.

Try telling the truth in the job interview. If you an hiring an engineer to do the tasks of a secretary or administrative assistant, be honest about it. You'd probably find a mediocre engineer who is only interested in the salary and will stay forever, instead of the ambitious overqualified ones who keep walking out the door.

Variation and instability with in the organization

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Great people who are kind, passionate and skilled to perform the work they are asked to.

Cons

Not enough help, lots of pressure to execute tasks and get things done at the expense of work life balance consistently.

Overstaff to make improvements, then have some cutbacks. Not cutbacks and continual unbalanced lives of employees.

Good company to learn from

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonably well-compensated for Sonoma County.

Cons

Unorganized, inexperienced leadership, no mentoring system

Overall great, a lot of very bright people, good focus on a mission, host of interesting projects

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will likely work with a lot of bright people, a lot of great opportunities for interesting projects if you are in the right field

Cons

Like anywhere, some middle managers where it is really hard to identify their value-add. The company can be pence wise/pound foolish at times, throwing millions at a project that gets hyped to the point of being funded in a major way, only to be cancelled a couple of years later, while much more modest, straightforward projects with budget of 100K or less get ignored even though their value is straightforward.

Focus on high-ROI, smaller projects. Ramp up high-cost, new programs more slowly to prove viability. Focus a bit less on acquisitions and more on growing and preserving the business you have-integrating all of these acquisitions have a huge cost associated with them.