Medtronic Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.6

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak
Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • The work-life balance is manageable across most functions and the compensation is competitive (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • To much no work life balance needed additional money for training patients (in 29 reviews)

• upper management chooses downsizing staff as means for cost cutting (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

I believe in this company but one bad apple (manager) spoiled the barrel.

Former Employee - Planner  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Rewarding in that I always felt like my contribution individually or as a team member made a difference in the product quality, availability, or access. Lots of investment in training every employee.

Cons

Some managers got caught up in politics and persecuted individuals for ego sake. Lost good employees because of poor manager.

Consider having a true advocate for the employee. I was a 10 year plus employee with a wall full of awards and endorsements from others but ONE person had the power to sway HR. HR is not at all on the side of the non-manager. Worthless to even try to improve if a manager has it out for you. Not just me, happened to many others in my career. Its a shame because otherwise Medtronic is the best!!

Excellent company which believe in the professional development inside the organization

Current Employee - Senior Principal Analyst  in  Juncos, PR
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Analyst in Juncos, PR

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They believe and live the mission, they invest in their personnel

Cons

A lot of variation between the culture between BUs which reflect in work-life balance

It has become a large company that makes a lot of money, compensates well, but is not fast moving.

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Mounds View, MN
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Mounds View, MN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A great place for work/life balance.
    You can set your own trajectory.
    LOTS of career opportunity.

Cons

If you are a poor engineer they will move you into program management. This sometimes works out well. Other times, not too much.
    Tolerate poor performers for too long.

Understand the RIF process - but you need to start keeping people that have the 30+ years of knowledge.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great intro to working life

I worked at Medtronic as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Entry level, projects well defined

Cons

Projects would run out and it would be difficult to stay busy

Interns are ready to be busy and want to learn so take advantage of the willingness to work hard

Proud to be working for Medtronic

I have been working at Medtronic

Pros

Great work/life balance, profitable company, great corporate vision, amazing products, great reputation in Medical device industry

Cons

You should promote your internal candidates rather hiring an outsider

Great place to work, future still strong

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Continued growth, potential merger with creates excitement, time off, ethical company that strives for product quality as the patient is really first and conforms to the mission to extend life, alleviate pain, restore health

Cons

work-life balance can be challenging at times

Some divisions are very stressed in comparison with similar sized companies, creating over-worked employees

Very corporate, but full of opportunity, many brilliant minds, and very rewarding to improve people's lives

Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer

I have been working at Medtronic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company has a very strong mission statement that is timeless and effective, improves the life of millions, believes in volunteerism and supporting one's community, and has a giant network of incredible people that can work together to solve problems. Perks include great benefits, ability to transfer within the company, ability to travel and attend conferences, and having a lot of training courses as well as wellness screenings provided on site.

Cons

Like any large corporation, there can be a lot of red tape and a lot of bad management, especially in upper management. Some parts are too top heavy (in management). Much of management sugar coats and hides behind the truth, only few are wiling to tell you like it is to gain your trust. Layoffs are extremely impersonal and most of the time handled very poorly. Corporate headquarters is really insensitive and bullish and illogical when it comes to making decisions that affect all of Medtronic (regarding things including tuition reimbursement, vacation policy, rollout of Medtronic-wide systems, etc).

Please be transparent and trust your employees. Even if it's bad news, be honest and genuine.
    I believe that all sites should have a gym and shower available to employees.
    Try not to let business units get too top heavy... the people at the bottom do most of the work, they should be recognized as such.

Medtronic

Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro was I learned about device research.

Cons

Unfortunately, the management was not supportive at all and didn't value others from outside the company. It was a disappointing experience as the process were lacking for such a well known device company.

Technical Support

Former Employee - Technical Support  in  Mounds View, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Mounds View, MN

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary ok, Hours were good.

Cons

Managers were constantly gone at meetings or worked from home or gone for personal reasons. No direction given.

Stick around and manage your time once in a while.

A couple of terrific years of hard work and awesome co-workers, followed by years of layoff threats and poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fridley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fridley, MN

I worked at Medtronic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best part of my work was knowing that patients; real people and their families were benefiting from it. The products Medtronic makes,saves lives and changes lives for the better.
    Most of the staff I worked with were intelligent and had an excellent work ethic.

Cons

On the negative side, opportunities for advancement in the company were non-existent unless you were lucky enough to have a corporate angel. Time off was very difficult to schedule. Some excellent managers reigned and some very negatively motivated, weak management spoiled the barrel.

Worked for Medtronic? Contribute to the Community!