www.medtronic.com

Updated December 1, 2014
3.6

Medtronic Chairman and CEO Omar S. Ishrak
Omar S. Ishrak

Pros
  • Company culture emphasizes work-life balance and the trust that you will get your work done (in 44 reviews)

• Great benefits with one of the best overall retirement packages of any Fortune 500 company (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of variation between the culture between BUs which reflect in work-life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work

I worked at Medtronic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment. Specially for interns. My colleagues were very helpful. I really enjoyed my time out there and learned a lot.

Cons

At our time, many of the interns were not hired for the full time. Probably there were no opening. Though it didn't affect me as I were not looking for a job.

Office culture was great.

Tempe Contractors Subject to Management Whims

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great product, great product quality, friendly workforce; other divisions will gladly give you advice and lend their time and experience in helping you solve many issues with your tasks.

Cons

Contract labor faces unforeseen changing end dates that limit the contractor's output. A contractor brought in to help Medtronic employees feels unsatisfied when an end date is arbitrarily truncated by ten months; this contract change was not due to dissatisfaction with that contractor's output or work quality. There appears to be no method of allowing local management an effective way to disagree with such upper management decisions. I certainly would not recommend this campus to contractors - you are less than an afterthought here.

Upper management should increase and encourage communication with management that reports to you. How would upper management react if promises for assistance made to them were broken in such a fashion?

Good Company

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was great along with the opportunity for advancement. Had a great experience there.

Cons

Not a good place to make a mistake as they tend to quickly assign blame. Unfortunately they are very email based with limited face to face conversation.

Limit the bureaucracy.

Great company while job lasted.

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good working environment, excellent benefits with reasonable expectations from supervisors and managers. Excellent training in quality for medical device company.

Cons

Company lost focus and diversified too much. It became too politically correct instead of doing the right thing. Upper management lost touch with reality as they became insulated from the general worker. Cut costs by cutting jobs became the norm instead of cutting waste.

Stay in touch with the worker. Don't cut jobs to cut costs. Cut waste to reduce costs.

Great place to be an intern!

I worked at Medtronic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Open networking & friendly environment. One is able to speak with or take time from literally anyone on the site, ask questions, schedule lunch, or just have a conversation.

Valued employees. As an intern, you're treated like a valuable asset, and given important projects to match this valued mindset.

Interesting projects. You will never get bored working for Medtronic.

Cons

As with any good company, there are limited full-time positions and the need will vary with each department.

Keep it up, no suggestions for the Tempe site.

Internship at Tempe campus

Former Employee - Intern Engineering in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern Engineering in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bunch of lazy old guys who described it as a place "Where engineers go to die". This is both a pro and a con - if you don't like to work this is the place for you!

Cons

Incompetent managers, lazy engineers etc. Felt like my entire job revolved around trying to entertain myself by finding something to do not work related

Give more direction

Intern @Medtronic

Former Employee - IC Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - IC Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, Friendly staff and plenty of HR activities for the interns to enjoy.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Give more interns full-time positions

Low Pressure Environment, Very Slow Product Cycle, No Product Plan

Former Employee - Senior IC Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior IC Design Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Kids' sport practice at 4pm? no problems.

Cons

No product plan. Projects are never canceled, just paused, hibernated, delayed, or any other synonym for "never going to ship". Office Politics is strangling.

Commit to a product plan. Dump the dead weight in middle management. Dump Matrix management.

Management is clueless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Medtronic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Community Day is always a pro. Love helping out the community.

Cons

Management is clueless. They have managers in positions that don’t understand what their employees do, thus leading to layoffs and saving those who lie and feed managers with BS or are his or her friends. Low-end managers listen to leads that are banking on retiring in 5 years. Senior Managers are getting fed bad information from low-end managers.

Look around, how many 50+ employees does Medtronic have. Some employees are great but some have a goal and it is to coast to retirement. They are hoping to squeeze 5 more years out. Some of these are leads and managers. Senior management is seeing its young work force leave. For engineering and tech jobs it will take years to get new employees up to speed. Guess they are all banking on 5 years. Medtronic is going to be lost 5 years from now. Unless the plan is to start shipping jobs over seas? With the new CEO and what he did at GM, bank on more jobs in the US being lost in 2013 and on.

Current Employee - Principal Sourcing in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Principal Sourcing in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employees are always aware that the products we make help people become healthy. Highly intelligent, motivated workforce. Opportunities to learn and grow. Attractive salaries.

Cons

Annual layoffs. Leadership located in Minnesota, often too remote to know or care about individual contributors. Promotions tied to visibility, instead of work performance. Compensation is no longer tied to performance.