Meggitt Reviews

Meggitt Chief Executive Stephen Young
Stephen Young

Bait and switch

I have been working at Meggitt full-time

Pros

The employees are caring folks who are absolutely overwhelmed with the work load.

Cons

I joined Meggitt based on a negotiated salary and bonus package. The only problem is Meggitt pays bonuses based on favoritism, rather than performance. I held up my end of the bargain by working two jobs; they didn't meet their financial obligation to me.

Advice to Management

You are far too Eurocentric and completely out of touch with your US employees. Setting impossible standards is not a way to motivate people. It is a way to guarantee high turn-over rates.

Horrible place to work - Miami location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Free coffee, People share nicely

Cons

You will be required to work at a moments notice overtime and on your days off (weekends) If you get approved vacation they will disapprove last minute so don't urchase airline tickets or non-refundable tickets. The cubes are very small. They won't purchase desk chairs that are comfortable, current seats are very old and uncomfortable. Management staff like to embarrass you in front of others by talking down to you loudly. HR dept cannot be trusted, nothing is kept confidential. Horrible place to work, a lot of turnover here in Miami

Advice to Management

Replace all managers here!

Poor management, good benefits.

Pros

The benefits are about the only good thing I can think of although there are some good people that work there.

Cons

Poor management, watch your back trust no one if you are smart. It does not pay to be smarter than your boss.

Advice to Management

Some department managers are rewarded not for what they know or do, but more for who they know and what they do, t do. They can out right lie to cover their own short comings with job knowledge, to make another worker look bad because they are smarter and more knowledgeable.

look somewhere else...poor company in many ways

I have been working at Meggitt full-time

Pros

decent pay, good benefits, 401k match, 100% vested, holiday shut down, that is it really...

Cons

always in cost cutting mode, even at the employee's expense (layoffs) they don't care, as long as they show they're making their numbers always, always, always in change and chaos mode, constant changes happening and shifting, in LEAN mode every day horrible leadership team, barely approachable people talk behind your back, so watch your back...cannot trust anyone here lack of growth, they promote "internal" but only if your part of leaderships' "favorite circle"

Advice to Management

retire, leave, move away, do something to stop the bleeding, because greed will come back to haunt you...

RUN!!! If I could pick zero stars, I would have.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Simi Valley, CA

Pros

There are many talented individuals within several areas in the company. Overall, some really nice folks.

Cons

Where do I start? Very meeting heavy. I do not mind productive meetings, but having three MANDATORY DAILY meetings before I can even turn on my computer or sit in my seat was obsurd. I didn't get anything out of those daily meetings. They took a huge chunk out of my extremely busy days. Training? What training? No real processes in place. In my department, everyone had their own way of doing things...because of lack of processes and training, and being thrown in the deep end to sink or swim, the folks who made it and didn't quit, did what they could, their own way. In the short time I worked there, I had three bosses, and more than 1/3 of my department had quit or resigned within a 90 day period. HELLO!!! HUGE RED FLAG THAT SOMETHING MUST BE WRONG. I have left with a very bad taste in my mouth, and do not have very constructive things to say, so I will stop here. If you are thinking of applying here, really do your homework. The place has a lot of unhappy, overworked, and mistreated people.

Advice to Management

I think it is very apparent that there are several areas that need major improvement, more help or better people in place to lead. It is not a secret to HR or Management where these places are. If you KNOW about your weak areas, why are you not focusing time and resources to fix and make them better? Wake up. You are going to lose more talented and dedicated employees, lose business or even suffer having to go through lawsuits. Your business has some huge gaping wounds that need to be bandaged.

Meggitt

Former Employee - Floor Worker in Rockmart, GA
    Former Employee - Floor Worker in Rockmart, GA

I worked at Meggitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make some ok money here, but its that steal toe boot working in a plant life.

Cons

True plant life. Steal toe boot, on a bell system like your in high school, and they will try to find a way to get you fired if they don't like you, or at least in the plaster shop

Advice to Management

Get younger hard working people in management

Executive Management is completely incompetent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

The company match for the 401K is good.

Cons

The executive leadership is so weak that the company is becoming more and more unprofitable. They keep laying off people in order to make the bottom line look good, when what they really need a thorough house cleaning at the top levels. The good people are over worked and looking to get out, while those who are incapable of making a contribution continue to get paid well for doing next to nothing.

Advice to Management

Things are not getting better. Instead of laying off people who actually perform, you should be looking at pay cuts for yourselves in order to make the company profitable again.

9. Upper management doesn't listen or communicate

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Corona, CA

I have been working at Meggitt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers and flexible work schedule.

Cons

Upper management will kill your site because they cannot be bothered to come to the site and listen to the engineers. Additionally, while they are killing your site they will lie to the employees to cover up their intent.

Advice to Management

Stop lying and start communicating with your engineers.

10. "Cheap" is the most valued asset at Meggitt, McMinnville

Former Employee - Quality Investigator in McMinnville, OR
    Former Employee - Quality Investigator in McMinnville, OR

Pros

The McMinnville site was forced by corporate, located in the UK, to implement a program called DLA, Daily Layered Accountability, which consists of breaking work areas down by cell and management level, with goals for WIP, safety and quality. These were nothing more than bar chart printouts on a bulletin board that had to be colored in daily with the standard go/no-go colors of green and red, but it was a step in the right direction in terms of visibility. During my interview tour, I found it impressive to see that operators were being made aware of business goals and were expected to tie their individual performance directly into the success of the business.

Cons

The production floor is run by individuals without any education or training in leadership. Initially, I took a positive outlook about this: unskilled workers were getting business experience. It didn’t take long though to understand that what really drives this company is cheap labor, not an interest in building the skills of their workforce or hiring talented, educated individuals. Most employees are hired from a temp agency and are expected to work 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Many are not able to speak or read English, and the comparisons to a sweatshop are fair. As an employee with experience in aerospace quality and ISO9001, I made a concerted effort to improve the work instruction documentation only to have a lead operator speak the truth: why bother? Most of the employees can’t speak English, let alone read it. And although there was a safety program, overall the company was far behind most other’s in protecting their employees’ well-being. It was normal to see hand fab workers dipping their fingers repeatedly into methyl ethyl ketone. There was no exhaust system for removing fumes; instead they relied on two box fans placed on either side of a table to drive fumes from the immediate area. (I often wondered about the lack of explosion protection on fan motors and overhead florescent lights in the presence of these volatile, flammable organic chemicals.) Again, this is a result of hiring individuals from a temp agency with no prior experience with workplace safety, and then moving them into leadership positions. The culture is one of frantic finger-pointing and blame, but in the same breath, upper management would state that employee “engagement” was an actual goal. It was completely lost on them that hosting a bowling night, or a bbq lunch, was not improving workplace engagement. A true investment by an employee in a company comes with reasonable hours in a work week, mutual respect, sustained relationships and trust. All of this can be undone, as I witnessed, in a span of 10 seconds when an upper management employee announced brutally in a morning meeting that, “oh yeah, so-and-so is no longer with us as of this morning,” in a tactic that was purely staged for shock and intimidation. Under no circumstances should a college-educated individual look for employment at Meggitt McMinnville, as there are no relevant or current manufacturing skills to be learned. And in the most likely scenario, they’ll do an internal shuffle with temporary employees and fill your position with an unskilled laborer from a different department all because they’re cheaper.

Advice to Management

My job was to track both internal and external scrap. External had a fixed price (price paid by the customer), but internal scrap values were often “manipulated” to look better than they were. Instead of scrapping high volume defective parts with the inclusion of the cost of processing, they would often get scrapped out as material only with no accounting for any human-hours or machine-hours on the part. I was often told by my manager to get, “so-and-so to work his magic on that number.” I was also told to hold off processing any external returns received at the end of the month so that the numbers looked better for corporate, only to be hit by a high volume of returns in the subsequent month and sky-rocketing defect levels. There is no desire to by management at this company to look at the real numbers and explore the real root cause of defects. Training and feedback were almost nonexistent at this company. I was paired with an employee that thought “busyness” was work, and was more interested in running around the plant socializing than investing time in training. At most, I received a week and two days of training. After that I was set loose to learn everything on my own. There was a large disconnect between the understanding of my position by my manager and the actual work on the floor that I had to do in my position; typically the manager oversimplified all tasks and couldn’t recognize the interconnections of the departments. There is a real need to simplify how work is done. I had to fill out five Excel spreadsheets for customer returns, often repeating information in each one, all the while handling the same transaction in SAP. If the company would hire skilled labor, they would find that reporting could be automated in SAP. I can’t recommend any engineers look into work at this site because the company would only pay for two licenses for their CAD software. It was a frequent occurrence to hear an engineer ask another if they were done with the program so that they could use it to do their own work. What’s the price of all these wasted hours compared to a software license? Lastly, I was told that my interaction with my peers wasn’t satisfactory. I was given no further information about this. From my perspective however, my most notable interaction with a “peer” consisted of the individual tasked with training me telling me that his “rear end” (not the actual word used) was his best asset, and he would show it to me one day, just not at work. I really do believe that his interactions with his peers should be evaluated, especially with women!

11. good place to work for

Pros

Good benefits and competitive pay. Decent equipment to work with and great people to work with

Cons

None really standing out right now

RSS Feed </> Embed