Meharry Medical College

Updated Feb 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alumnus

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat support system. Access to all professionals.

ConsLimited resources. Need more career development

I lacked respect for my background and experience, and was harrassed quite severely.

Program Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsCompany bennefits were somewhat acceptable.

ConsThere is a continuous subculture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace a higher value on the contributions made by support persons. Respect them, seek suggestions from them, and offer advancement opportunities.

A disappointing journey with some good people

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsMeharry has a laid back family atmosphere within certain departments.

ConsThe pay you accept upon hiring is your pay forever. Meharry does not give annual raises. The only way to increase pay is to switch jobs or leave and come back. We have been promised raises several times and it has fallen through each time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees(other than executives and faculty) and be upfront about the potential for raises. Most people expect an annual raise and it comes as a complete shock when someone finds out that Meharry does not give them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Research Associate

Senior Research Associate (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsMeharry is a small campus which makes it easy to foster working relationships and build support across departments.

ConsMeharry is a great place to work, however there is limited potential for growth within the organization.

Good and Bad

Instructor (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsFamily friendly in most departments.

ConsNo chance for growth unless you are connected. Many in administration are unprofessional and only take care of their friends. You will do the job of three people and will be treated like you can be easily replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with some rubrics to see who is actually productive. Your totally subjective evaluation process means nothing.

Needs to move into the 21st century and leave the "Meharry Way" behind

Assistant Professor (Clinical) (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsEducates & supports students from underrepresented groups, primarily African Americans. Has a lot of potential & many enthusiastic students who are eager to learn. Faculty have potential to have a significant positive impact on many young people as they move forward.

ConsSeems stuck in the past in terms of the way it operates, particularly with administration and research support. Has an "old boy" culture that doesn't seem to support women faculty to the same degree that it supports men. Makes excellent women hires, but they don't stay. Not very supportive of independent faculty researchers except in certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to embrace new ways of doing things if it wants to stay competitive in the 21st century; Should give up its "old boy" culture, do some self-study to determine why excellent women hires do not stay. Needs to understand what it means to be an independent faculty researcher.

Worked for Meharry Medical College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meharry Medical College reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Meharry Medical College employees.