Meijer Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated September 13, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some Team leaders/ management are somewhat understanding and helpful (in 26 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You get paid minimum wage to do about 3 people's jobs (in 30 reviews)

• Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

a job

Former Employee - Pricing  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Pricing in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time for less than a year

Pros

weekly pay, closre to home

Cons

no pay raise, bad benfits no real training or way of running the full day to day store fuctions

Stuck

Current Employee - Third Shift Stocking Team Leader  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Third Shift Stocking Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent compensation for leadership, Paid time off, 401k, insurance (life, health, dental/optical)

Cons

Claims to promote from within but mostly hires from outside. They do not pay hourly employees enough to retain top talent.

Longtime Inmate, Former Team Leader

Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The kale salad in the deli is pretty tasty.

Cons

I originally started with Meijer in 1998 left the company then came back....a total of almost 15 years now. I was a team leader for 8 years, and went back to being a team member so I could go back to college. Thanks to college, I am close to the end of my Meijer career. With every year that passes and every union contract that is re-written, the wages drop....paid time off drops.....cost of benefits increase, etc. Meijer restructured store management and general store labor in 2004, then again a few years later. Every time they cut down labor, they (Hank, Doug, and friends) saw how much more they could make by just not having as many employees....no wonder they're currently worth $8.39 BILLION. There are many cons. The work ethic of the general population is dropping. Compound that with the fact that starting pay in grocery in the Cincinnati market has gone up $1/hr in the last 15 years. How much was the cost of living 15 years ago compared to today? So 9 out of 10 hires have low work ethic and are barely paid above minimum wage. Then that 1 out of 10 guy that busts his hump every day for $7.75/hr wonders, "Why should I be killing myself for this money?" With ZERO chance for raises based on merit, it would take someone over 12 years to go from $7.75/hr to $12.30/hr I have worked at 4 stores in my almost 15 years and it's been the same everywhere. The people that kill themselves trying to work hard get more worked dumped on them while the lazy "team members" do next to nothing and never get reprimanded. Management used to almost always be promotions from within, but are rarely so anymore. It seems like 4 out of 5 new managers are from Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. When I originally left the company, I was a team leader. I was asked to train a management trainee.....from another company......who STARTED OUT making $4/hr more than me....after I had been in management for 8 YEARS!!!! Everything this company does, whether intentional or not, comes off as slighting the employees. I could go on forever, but I'll stop. I honestly think the company will continue to grow and get richer and richer, but at the price of having horribly down-trodden employees.

1) You're employees are the backbone of your company. They need to be paid better and treated better.
    2) Stop lining your pockets. Do you have any idea how long we have to beg to simply get a pallet jack that works? And then when we finally get it, it's not the $800 Crown pallet jack that lasts 15 years....it's the $200 Gillis pallet jack that is broken within 3 months and must be used that way for the next 10 years. Getting the tools we need to do our jobs is nearly impossible.
    3) Do whatever you can to actually find out what's going on in the stores. DON'T ANNOUNCE VISITS!!!! If market directors and group VP's came in and saw how stores REALLY look, maybe things would change. But the visits are announced in time for management to slap make-up all over the place and cover up all the cuts and bruises. There needs to be a way that employees can have an open forum with upper management. If just one employee complains to upper management it might come off as someone being whiny. But if dozens of fellow team members were to validate the complaint, maybe upper management would look into the issue. It wasn't bad up until about 2008-2009, but since then working as a team member at Meijer has been hell.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard Work Equals Success

Current Employee - Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement. If you're intelligent, hard-working, and customer-focused, then promotions come easily. Put in the time and effort and good things will come.

Cons

Tight, tight labor budget. Either not enough people employed to do the job, or enough people and not enough hours allowed to accomplish the tasks. The customer loses in either scenario and sales suffer.

Your people want to work; let them! You can't beat Wal-mart on prices, so you must offer superior service. Allow leadership the labor to run their departments and serve the customer!

Great First Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Desk  in  Loveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Desk in Loveland, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-pay above minimum wage
    -raises yearly
    -flexible scheduling
    -autonomy
    -if you're a people person, it's fantastic! Meijer has the best customers.

Cons

-High stress
    -Open 24 hrs (clopeners!)
    -So many products, it's hard to know what everything is and what department an item belongs too

Upper Management - stay positive and inspire your team to have fun. Keep cashier stations organized, and make sure they have all the information they need to do their job best before you criticize them. Encourage employees to become familiar with all aspects of the stores operations.

Poor Management, Poor Pay, Poor Union

Current Employee - Electronics  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Electronics in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable work hours
    Employee Discount
    Vacation after one year

Cons

1.Extremely poor pay. Minimum wage is not a livable wage, and its all they want to pay.
    2. There are absolutely no opportunities for advancement. Managers will not recognize good behavior or hard work.
    3. Union - The union is owned by Meijer, so you have no say whether to accept or not. Since this union is owned by the company, it is easier for them to extort and manipulate you. Union also contributes to a lack of pay increases and allows the business to keep employees at unlivable wages.
    4. Management will expect the employee to do everything and then disappear the rest of the day.
    5. Pay increases go by hours worked and not effort put in.
    6. Will not give you health benefits unless you are full time; however, the company will not hire anyone full time and work you just under so you cannot qualify for health benefits.

Get rid of the union and pay the employees properly. You made record profits this year but can't give a singe employee a raise?

Work. The Management at my store does nothing; they disappear all day and do not contribute to the standard employees work like they should.

Do not insult or belittle your employees. One of my team "leaders" insulted an employee behind their backs due to issues in weight and tattoos. Isn't this supposed to be a fair and equal employment opportunity? Feels anything but.

Treat your employees EQUALLY. Do not punish one individuals behavior but ignore the rest.

Flexible work but pay is lacking.

Current Employee - Receiving  in  Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Receiving in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible for school. Nice people.

Cons

Pay is lacking. Management can be more helpful.

If I didn't absolutely need an income I'd Never work there.

Current Employee - GM Clerk  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - GM Clerk in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The paycheck and the Team Member card

Cons

Pitiful management leadership, lack of direction, no focus on customer only on cleaning back rooms, ad product is not stocked

Gut the management of the whole store and bring in fresh managers who WANT to do a good job and have a successful store where people want to shop

They're on the cutting and not like other competitors,and always has great products.

Current Employee - General Merchandiser  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - General Merchandiser in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They're pretty flexible and easy to work for and sometimes rewarding, and family friendly.

Cons

The cons of working here is there always open on major holidays, instead of being closed.

Keep Improvement on the core values

Great!!!!!!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Everyday is an adventure. Love my job and the people I work with. Pay is good and so are the benefits.

Cons

None.....everything for the most part runs smoothly and is organized and well thought out. Cant think of any real issues in my department.

None

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!