Meijer

Updated February 12, 2015
2.5

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 29 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • 75 starting (mind you this is in Illinois in which the minimum wage is 8 (in 35 reviews)

• Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Meijer was an excellent place to work, especially for a highschool/early college aged young adult.

Former Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in West Chester, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexibile with scheduling, fairly decent pay, days off when needed

Cons

Frequent changes in upper level management, customer relations were sometimes unrealistic to how someone would normally act with a customer, no reward/incentives to stay with the company

Consider incentives/recognizing employees that stay at the company for a long period of time

On the whole, a pretty miserable experience

Current Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One does learn some valualbe skills in retail, such as sublimating one's contempt for the beligerent, quasi-sentient hoards of customers.

If you have a pulse you can get hired.

There is a fair amount of upward mobility in management by virtue of the simple fact that turnover is so high.

Some departments (like the Bakery, or Starbucks) seem more autonomous than others, in these one only occasionally has to deal with Meijer management.

Cons

Meijer has the bureaucratic inefficiency of a much larger company. It takes forever for upper-managment to approve the replacement of any broken equipment, regardless of how much money it costs the company or the embarasment it brings. However this penny-pinching is not evenly and universally applied to all aspects of business; indeed some departments waste thousands a day because of inadequate inventory control systems or communication breakdowns throughout the supply chain.

Much of the management at the store level are cast offs from Wal-mart (if you ever wondered, yes, in fact, one can go lower than Wal-mart). One of my bosses is functionally illiterate, and he's not even the worst one.

I don't mean to give the impression that everyone working in management is inept. I found some exceptionally bright and hardworking people. But these were few, and they were mostly bitter and exausted from the stress of carrying their far less capable counterparts.

As for the other employees, what's to say? When you hire people at barely over minimum wage, you're subject to high turnover rates, and all the inexperience and indifference that comes with a workforce that knows they are replaceable. It's hard to watch these people listlessly shuffling through their florescent-lit purgatory waiting desperately for their next break like it's the sweet release of death.

Oh, and the Union is beyond useless. It makes it impossible for employees to get performace based raises or tips, which eliminates any incentive for most employees to perform. It also makes it nearly impossible to fire some worthless employees that have mastered the subtle art of doing exactly enough work to not be fired. As a department head (I won't say which one) I write employee schedules for my small department, and I can't tell you what an annoyance the senority policy is. One has to grant preferential scheduling to the employees that have been around longer. It doesn't matter if you have five years of seniorty or five days, you have to give the senior employees whatever shifts they want. Policies like this lead to some serious acrimony between employees.

Ditch the Union. Pay people another dollar an hour from the start and increase the frequency of raises for the top performers. Particularly in departments where the turnover is crippling because it takes so long to train replacements. Tweak the attendance point system (being two minutes late should not carry the same penalty as being two hours late, it's just asanine).

Terrible Place to work

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I'd list pros if I could think of one.

Cons

Horrible hours, no backing from management and you have to join the union.

Get rid of the Union and start listening to your hourly employees

Stuck

Current Employee - Third Shift Stocking Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Third Shift Stocking Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent compensation for leadership, Paid time off, 401k, insurance (life, health, dental/optical)

Cons

Claims to promote from within but mostly hires from outside. They do not pay hourly employees enough to retain top talent.

Longtime Inmate, Former Team Leader

Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The kale salad in the deli is pretty tasty.

Cons

I originally started with Meijer in 1998 left the company then came back....a total of almost 15 years now. I was a team leader for 8 years, and went back to being a team member so I could go back to college. Thanks to college, I am close to the end of my Meijer career. With every year that passes and every union contract that is re-written, the wages drop....paid time off drops.....cost of benefits increase, etc. Meijer restructured store management and general store labor in 2004, then again a few years later. Every time they cut down labor, they (Hank, Doug, and friends) saw how much more they could make by just not having as many employees....no wonder they're currently worth $8.39 BILLION. There are many cons. The work ethic of the general population is dropping. Compound that with the fact that starting pay in grocery in the Cincinnati market has gone up $1/hr in the last 15 years. How much was the cost of living 15 years ago compared to today? So 9 out of 10 hires have low work ethic and are barely paid above minimum wage. Then that 1 out of 10 guy that busts his hump every day for $7.75/hr wonders, "Why should I be killing myself for this money?" With ZERO chance for raises based on merit, it would take someone over 12 years to go from $7.75/hr to $12.30/hr I have worked at 4 stores in my almost 15 years and it's been the same everywhere. The people that kill themselves trying to work hard get more worked dumped on them while the lazy "team members" do next to nothing and never get reprimanded. Management used to almost always be promotions from within, but are rarely so anymore. It seems like 4 out of 5 new managers are from Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. When I originally left the company, I was a team leader. I was asked to train a management trainee.....from another company......who STARTED OUT making $4/hr more than me....after I had been in management for 8 YEARS!!!! Everything this company does, whether intentional or not, comes off as slighting the employees. I could go on forever, but I'll stop. I honestly think the company will continue to grow and get richer and richer, but at the price of having horribly down-trodden employees.

1) You're employees are the backbone of your company. They need to be paid better and treated better.
    2) Stop lining your pockets. Do you have any idea how long we have to beg to simply get a pallet jack that works? And then when we finally get it, it's not the $800 Crown pallet jack that lasts 15 years....it's the $200 Gillis pallet jack that is broken within 3 months and must be used that way for the next 10 years. Getting the tools we need to do our jobs is nearly impossible.
    3) Do whatever you can to actually find out what's going on in the stores. DON'T ANNOUNCE VISITS!!!! If market directors and group VP's came in and saw how stores REALLY look, maybe things would change. But the visits are announced in time for management to slap make-up all over the place and cover up all the cuts and bruises. There needs to be a way that employees can have an open forum with upper management. If just one employee complains to upper management it might come off as someone being whiny. But if dozens of fellow team members were to validate the complaint, maybe upper management would look into the issue. It wasn't bad up until about 2008-2009, but since then working as a team member at Meijer has been hell.

a job

Former Employee - Pricing in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Pricing in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

weekly pay, closre to home

Cons

no pay raise, bad benfits no real training or way of running the full day to day store fuctions

Hard Work Equals Success

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement. If you're intelligent, hard-working, and customer-focused, then promotions come easily. Put in the time and effort and good things will come.

Cons

Tight, tight labor budget. Either not enough people employed to do the job, or enough people and not enough hours allowed to accomplish the tasks. The customer loses in either scenario and sales suffer.

Your people want to work; let them! You can't beat Wal-mart on prices, so you must offer superior service. Allow leadership the labor to run their departments and serve the customer!

Great First Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Desk in Loveland, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Desk in Loveland, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-pay above minimum wage
    -raises yearly
    -flexible scheduling
    -autonomy
    -if you're a people person, it's fantastic! Meijer has the best customers.

Cons

-High stress
    -Open 24 hrs (clopeners!)
    -So many products, it's hard to know what everything is and what department an item belongs too

Upper Management - stay positive and inspire your team to have fun. Keep cashier stations organized, and make sure they have all the information they need to do their job best before you criticize them. Encourage employees to become familiar with all aspects of the stores operations.

Poor Management, Poor Pay, Poor Union

Current Employee - Electronics in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Electronics in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Stable work hours
    Employee Discount
    Vacation after one year

Cons

1.Extremely poor pay. Minimum wage is not a livable wage, and its all they want to pay.
    2. There are absolutely no opportunities for advancement. Managers will not recognize good behavior or hard work.
    3. Union - The union is owned by Meijer, so you have no say whether to accept or not. Since this union is owned by the company, it is easier for them to extort and manipulate you. Union also contributes to a lack of pay increases and allows the business to keep employees at unlivable wages.
    4. Management will expect the employee to do everything and then disappear the rest of the day.
    5. Pay increases go by hours worked and not effort put in.
    6. Will not give you health benefits unless you are full time; however, the company will not hire anyone full time and work you just under so you cannot qualify for health benefits.

Get rid of the union and pay the employees properly. You made record profits this year but can't give a singe employee a raise?

Work. The Management at my store does nothing; they disappear all day and do not contribute to the standard employees work like they should.

Do not insult or belittle your employees. One of my team "leaders" insulted an employee behind their backs due to issues in weight and tattoos. Isn't this supposed to be a fair and equal employment opportunity? Feels anything but.

Treat your employees EQUALLY. Do not punish one individuals behavior but ignore the rest.

Flexible work but pay is lacking.

Current Employee - Receiving in Hamilton, OH
    Current Employee - Receiving in Hamilton, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible for school. Nice people.

Cons

Pay is lacking. Management can be more helpful.