Meijer

Meijer Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer

Hank Meijer

Pros:
  • "made friends easily with other team members/team leaders"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Minimum wage is not a livable wage, and its all they want to pay"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Team leaders do not treat you with respect"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Eight unpleasant years for Meijer.

Photo Tech (Current Employee)
    Commerce, MI

ProsEasy to get a job there. Employees are friendly.

ConsAbsolutely no communication between employees and team leaders. Management will only follow store policy and process if it is in their favor. Beware of favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat your employees with respect and have an over all happy demeanor then that will trickle down the line to your customers. You will have happier employees and customers which makes for a better business.

Horrible management.

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Caledonia, MI

ProsMet my best friend while working there, got to interact with lots of different people and learn about different transaction types.

ConsWhere to begin! Crappy hours, very fast paced, cranky customers who are not afraid to tell you what you're doing wrong, management always backs the customer when they complain about a cashier, people who don't know how to use their cards or have thousands of random coupons, also managers are not afraid to take you off the schedule if they feel they need to review your employment status within '24 hours', and it will take weeks to hear back, and then they fire you when you come back in for your shift. Union also is a joke. They pretend to care, but hardly return your calls. If you like being treated horribly by customers and managers alike, this is a perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent, don't always back the customer just because you fear face to face confrontation. Also, if you are going to fire an employee, you need to do it within a timely manner with written documentation as to why, and not leave the employee hanging for weeks not knowing what they did wrong.

Meijers is a Southern Plantation and you're the field hand.

Utility Worker (Current Employee)
    Ann Arbor, MI

ProsGetting paid every week is pretty nice and they try to give you the hours you want.

ConsUtility workers are usually treated like slaves, at least that's how it is at my Meijers. We hardly get any recognition for the work we do, and are usually looked down upon. Calling in is a pain and unless you physically can't get out of bed, they're down your throat. When you do call in, no one cares. Also, holdovers during holidays are to be expected, especially if you're not already working eight and a half.

Turnovers are extremely high. It's in part to the actual work and the management. It's not an easy job and someone has to be determined to stay at it.

If you're a service runner, you're expected to be a janitor, cart pusher and a million other things. If it's a really busy day like a Saturday or a holiday and you have the beeper, you minus well put away your vest and rope because you won't be going outside anytime soon.

Management doesn't care if you're in high school or college. They will schedule some people over their allotted hours while giving some people a four hour shift one day a week. THEN they wonder why there aren't more carts in the corral.

They say we can't work in groups like two or three because "it's a distraction from the job" but really it's not. We bring in more carts because we encourage each other. If management catches us taking a breather for even thirty seconds, we get yelled at because we're not killing ourselves. You'd think we'd just committed a serious crime by the way they treat us sometimes.

Because you're supposedly the lowest on the totem pole, you're not respected and you're pitied. I've only ever had one SC consistently tell me I've been doing a good job and that I'm a hard worker. If they catch you with your cell phone, you're yelled at, even if you're checking the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some love to all your employees! A little recognition goes a long way. Give us some time to adjust schedules if we're going to be held over. If it's a busy day, schedule enough people instead of expecting three or four people to get every single cart and not be tired.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just another retail store, a decent first job, but not a career.

Service Desk (Current Employee)
    Delaware, OH

ProsCoworkers are awesome. Pay is alright depending on the position and length of time with the company. Union after 90 days.

ConsManagement is a joke, almost like being in high school again. If you aren't in their crowd you might as well be dirt to them. Scheduling is awful. Every weekend and holiday will be spent in the store and it is usually understaffed then. Working service desk, management rarely has your back and will almost always give into the customers making you look like an idiot. Meijer stresses that they are a family oriented company, but that doesn't make it into the stores. Managment couldn't care less about family needs and will usually ignore any requests for time off to be with family when it's needed most, especially during the holiday times, even though there is adequate staff to cover said time

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the employees. We spend the most time dealing with the customers, therefore, we have usually got some pretty good suggestions to better the company. Again working service desk, we hear all of the complaints and can usually come up with a solution to most of the problems given. Make sure that your store management is upholding your core values, as this is main complaint among fellow employees

A family environment that ensures your success by professional training.

Retail Operations (Former Employee)

ProsA great environment where expressing ideas are more than encouraged and challenging the status quo are not frowned upon. The retail side is also a pioneer of the one-stop shopping experience.

ConsFor the intern process, their has to be a way where an intern can receive some sort of award or high recognition for ideas that are used by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive major credit to ideas that interns come up with.

Overall, quite enjoyable

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Rolling Meadows, IL

ProsThe people were the best

ConsThe 2-minute time-frame to clock in.

Advice to Senior ManagementA five-minute clock-in window would be better.

It was extremely mixed, ranging from best of the best to Dante’s Inferno .

Clerk (Former Employee)
    Dublin, OH

ProsIF a good supervisor and store manager, the super will cover your back.
    THEN your challenge is good customer service and making your supervisor look good.

ConsIF an evil supervisor, your life will be a living hell .
    The laws of most jurisdictions forbid an “Operation Anthropoid” solution.
    The only real solution is termination of BOTH the employee and the supervisor, with hope that Karma will eventually get him/her .

Advice to Senior ManagementPay serious attention to responsible complaints concerning rogue supervisors, thereby avoiding the risk of learning of a rage slaying of the rogue supervisor at your store on your watch .

Corporate or field management will throw you under the train and it will be YOUR fault .

Decent company that is ran like nearly every other retailer.

Ad Product Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Greenville, MI

ProsThe co-workers are all in the same boat. If things are good, everyone can enjoy working together. If things are bad, they understand. You are never alone in your thoughts or feelings on how the company is doing.

ConsYou can bust your butt day in and day out. Every task assigned to you can be completed in record time with quality and efficiency. But if you are 2 minutes or more late for work or coming back from break, you're no better than the people who don't do a dang thing the entire time they are there. Matter of fact, as long as they're on time, nothing will ever be done or said about the fact that they accomplish nothing during their entire shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know about the upper management, but I'd rather have someone who's a few minutes late working for me, than someone who doesn't do anything to further the sales or customer satisfaction.

Coworkers are great, bosses not so much

Stocker (Current Employee)
    Franklin, OH

ProsFairly relaxed work environment. The managers generally do not micromanage unless it is very busy or they are pressured to (meaning corporate is coming in). You can clock in and out without asking permission ( just make sure you do so at the correct time or you get points!). You can take your lunch breaks and 2 15 minute breaks when you want as well. As long as you get your work done, you should be fine (but that is easier said than done). My coworkers are great though!

ConsThe scheduling is crazy! There are never enough people scheduled on the busiest days which leads to chaos. Then you get in trouble because you cannot complete your task on time. If you are on probation, you will get blamed for everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that can schedule! I understand that last minute changes are sometimes necessary (if a person calls off or if you expect that you will be receiving a large truck), but frequent changes make it a burden on everybody. We have a life too! At my place, you often end up with only 1 or 2 people in your area on busy days (which makes it hard to complete your tasks) and too many people on slow days (which means you finish hours early and have to spend time doing lame busy work. Lying about cutting peoples hours is unacceptable. Don't tell people that you are going to cut their hours only to have them work the same amount of time they usually do everyday (and then cancel their off days!)

You have to learn to BS to upper management to be accepted.

Team Leader (Former Employee)
    Marion, OH

ProsThe company itself is great to work for. They offer good pay and benefits for Team Leaders. They offer advancement opportunities to those who are wiling to drive or relocate.

ConsThe management in some stores doesn't create a positive work environment. Some Market Directors don't engage positively with their team leaders. Training is very lax.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure each and every person has the tools they need to do their job to the best of their ability.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!

Meijer Videos

Meijer – Why Work for Us?

Join a Company Where the Standard Is Excellence! Meijer is a leading supercenter located in five states throughout the Midwest, with nearly 200 stores and over 60,000 employees. As a multi-billion dollar retailer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meijer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meijer CEO Hank Meijer. All 538 reviews posted anonymously by Meijer employees.