Meijer

Updated Jan 30, 2014

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer

Hank Meijer

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a good place to work

Clerk (Current Employee)

ProsUnion, holiday pay, 10% discount on certain items

Consnot enough hours, not good pay,

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open minded, and nicer

They are more concerned with profit than workers.

GM Clerk (Current Employee)
    Flint, MI

ProsSchedules can be done around my school schedule

ConsHours cut drastically, rude managers, getting called out of your department to run lanes because they won't schedule enough cashiers, don't call in help if someone calls in sick

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your team members happy. Make sure they are getting enough hours to fill their gas tank, thank them for going above and beyond. Schedule enough people for all shifts.

Cashier

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Flint, MI

Prosits a job and it pays

Consnever have the same hours ,work every weekend

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people the way you want to be treated

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very stressful,went from blond hair to white hair in one year.

Grocery Stocker (Former Employee)
    Flint, MI

Prosmost co-workers very nice, some could actual have fun and laugh.

Consto many tattle tales when asked to help another co- worker. union sucks!!!!!! management very rude to labor people. we stock the shevles to make them the money and they just yell for more.

Advice to Senior Managementgo undercover to one of your stores to see what needs to be done.

Make your voice heard

Foods Stocking Team (Current Employee)
    Flint, MI

ProsThe only reasons to work for Meijer is that it is a job and they provide healthcare benefits if you can manage to keep your job longer than 90 days.

ConsThere are so many downsides to working for Meijer that I don't even know where to begin. In order to keep your job past 90 days, you have to apply to the corporate office for FMLA leave in case of any absenses or tardies. (Yes, it's true, one minute late constitutes grounds for a write-up.) After that, you have to figure out which managers to become "buddies" with because that is how you are going to end up keeping you job long enough to earn benefits. As far as promotions or growth within the company, I've been there nearly 10 years and I still stock groceries. I have applied for numerous other positions and since beginning there, I have received a 4-year college degree related to business and I am still treated as if I am nothing more but a mushroom. My ideas are not taken any more seriously than anyone else that is not related to the Meijer family. Their family seems to be the only one that matters in it's "friendliness and familiness" core values!

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management really needs to go back to business school and take some economics, accounting, and business ettiquette classes. They also need to learn to abide by their own union contract. And if they are going to try to make it's employees abide by "core values" of "friendliness and familiness" they need to abide by them as well.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!

Meijer Videos

Meijer – Why Work for Us?

Join a Company Where the Standard Is Excellence! Meijer is a leading supercenter located in five states throughout the Midwest, with nearly 200 stores and over 60,000 employees. As a multi-billion dollar retailer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meijer reviews and ratings in Flint, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meijer CEO Hank Meijer. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Meijer employees.