Meijer

Meijer Reviews in Grand Rapids, MI

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer

Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some Team leaders/ management are somewhat understanding and helpful(in 26 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Starts at minimum wage, pay increases are only 15 cents/hr every 750 hours worked(in 29 reviews)

• Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company(in 26 reviews)

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, great people

Corporate Brands Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsI made the move to Meijer after a few years at a previous employer. I was looking for more professional growth, and that is exactly what I am receiving in my current position. My opinion and insight is considered an asset to the team, and makes you feel great that you are appreciated. They just moved several departments into the new office building in 2014. The company is really doing well as of late and I continue to see this trend continuing.

ConsPTO and comp days are rather stringent, this could definitely be improved. Continuing education can also be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your people, make them want to stay.

Meijer is a wonderful place to work.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsEveryone is really friendly and great to work with. The environment is fantastic, and there is a lot of room for promotions. The pay is very decent, and it's not too hard to separate work and life.

ConsRetail is a lot of hours and a lot of holidays. There is also a union that employees are a part of. There are a lot of girls, so sometimes there is a lot of drama and cattiness.

A place to make an impact!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsBig business, but not TOO big. One can make an impact in this environment.
    Corporate values align with personal values in a welcoming culture
    Cross-functionality and exposure to many different areas within the business
    Company is performing well and continues to grow, people can develop quickly within that

ConsConfusion amidst growth is exciting but challenging
    We are walking with certain processes, when we could be running

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good short-term job.

Team Member (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

Pros(My) team leader listened to my recommendations, accepted time-off requests, was flexible with scheduling.

ConsSome coworkers can be catty, and they don't pay too well. No-drink-at-station policy and there is low humidity, so I got thirsty a lot. Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't use and abuse employees (not personal experience, but that of a friend at a different location.)

I appreciated the opportunity at Fred Meijer Corporate

Planner (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsOpportunities, product trials, flexible work schedule, salary

Conslack of leadership, not adequate time to learn new culture and dynamics

Advice to Senior Managementallow adequate time to learn

Inventory Control Analyst

Inventory Control Analyst (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood learning experience to use in your career. Individuals go out of their way to help. Helps develop sense of urgency.

ConsLack of leadership and too many bosses, disregard for creativity, promotions not based on merit, not very family oriented, living in the now instead of investing in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit, get some outside industries, learn the technology limits, stop getting talent from bottom heaps of retail industry and pay top dollar for winners.

Inventory Control Analyst

Inventory Control Analyst (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsMany opportunities to be promoted and move around the company to gain experiences in different areas of the business.

Most of the people that you work with are great individuals and will do anything they can to help.

Company is growing and experiencing great success and is forecasting that growth to continue for years to come.

ConsThe Meijer culture is VERY political and the atmosphere is negative most of the time, even though the company grows year over year.

Many promotions appear to be based off of who you know and not what your skills and value to the company are.

Job expectations can vary widely based on area in which you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more positive atmosphere day in and day out. The business is growing year over year but yet the feeling inside the building on a day to day basis is negative. Meijer is winning far more than losing and we should be celebrating that fact, not just 2 or 3 times a year for an hour or two.

Poor Company Culture - Unfriendly and Spiteful (Corporate)

Talent Development (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsThe best thing about working at Meijer headquarters is they give you samples of the products they are selling from time to time. If you are an employee (not a contractor) you can also get discounts on Dyson vacuums and special events around Grand Rapids (very seldom).

ConsThe worst thing about Meijer is the culture. Before I joined the company, I thought of Meijer as a great place where they invest in the community and genuinely show compassion. I was excited I could work there...until I joined the team. There is no investment into the people who work at Meijer, and management tends to be hostile or incompetent (with exceptions).

I noticed a distinctive environment of unfriendly competition. Teams do not collaborate, and it's difficult to feel supported. People will "report you" if you browse the internet, regardless of whether you are on your lunch break and/or have completed all of your tasks.

I specifically worked with the Leadership Development team, which has lost almost FORTY PERCENT of its employees in the past two months thanks to an individual. [He demanded that his salaried (and sometimes even hourly) employees work a minimum of 40 hours, and if they work 60+, they are not to balance them by taking an afternoon off here or there, but continue working 40 hour weeks. It doesn't matter how hard you work, he will never be satisfied. He has no concept of a work-life balance, and his demands as well as management style have led 40% of the team to quit (and I was told yesterday they're losing 1-2 more within the next 3 months).

One of the most appalling things he did while I was there: he called a meeting with everyone in the team except 1 person--to discuss that person's job performance. he told the team to point out whenever the absent person made a mistake--to the extended Talent Development team. He did not have a conversation with the individual to explain his concerns or how to improve but chose public shaming instead.

VERY difficult to move within the company to a different position. People want you to stay in the same job role for the duration of your employment there. This stifles growth.

CONTRACTORS: STAY AWAY! Contractors who ask for raises are told the "experience of working at Meijer" is all the compensation they deserve. They are not eligible for any of the perks Meijer employees enjoy. They are treated as replaceable and their work often goes unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management can easily take steps to fix the issues at Meijer, but they won't. The company needs guidance and insight into the investment they make of their time. It wouldn't hurt to act like you care about your employees. When alarming turnover trends like the Talent Development team become obvious, make an effort to discover the problem and fix it.

Good company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGenerally had a positive experience while working at the corporate offices for this company.

ConsMy particular job was a seasonal job working for Meijer.com, that was the biggest bummer when I got laid-off at the end of the season.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and keep a number of Meijer.com customer contact people in the brick & mortar building for the entire year.

Heavy nepotism with average performers in key leadership roles.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsFlexibility to work from home.

ConsPromotions are reserved to those who keep their head down and opinions to themselves. Publicly voicing limited prospects is taken as a show of loyalty to meijer. Being better than your boss and those that have been there for more than 10 years (thought of as stars) are sure to limit your career prospects (even if you get stellar annual reviews). If you're an A-type driver, stay away from here. They look for ways to keep your annual salary down.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they wouldn't follow it anyway.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!