Meijer Reviews

Reset
2.9
Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 29 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • 75 starting (mind you this is in Illinois in which the minimum wage is 8 (in 35 reviews)

• Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status (in 33 reviews)

cashier and customer service desk

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service Desk Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer (More than a year)

Pros

-coworkers are wonderful
    -management is generally nice
    -interacting with people
    -learning new skill sets
    -I do find that even though there are a lot of horrible customers, there are also some genuinely wonderful ones too
    -you do learn to have a stiff upper lip because of customers though
    -I love my job despite everything

Cons

-company relies on "the customer is always right" which isn't the right way to run a company. A company should focus first on their employees and in turn their employees will give excellent customer service. Instead, managers will disregard store policies that their employees are supposed to follow in front of their customers because that customer complained and wanted it their way. A customer could be absolutely 100% completely wrong and the manager will override it. If we keep doing this, the entitlement in this country will keep going up. This needs to be addressed. But your employees first and in turn they will put your customers first.
    -customers can be really quite horrible and entitled at times. My coworker has had ice thrown in her face for the soda machine being out of diet coke, for example.
    -the work uniform is ill-fitting and heavy which makes employees work less efficiently and less confidently because they do not feel comfortable or confident in what they are wearing. If they were modernized to something like a simple cotton t-shirt with meijer on it, for example, then things would run smoother.
    -cashiers are expected to not only scan but bag at a high rate speed but the lanes that are used are not efficient and need updating as soon as possible.
    -continued from pros.. I do love my job but I wish I could have contact with corporate and speak to them on what I think and many others think that needs to be improved upon. Instead decisions for every store are made without taking into consideration the employees or the specific store's needs. How can you make adequate decisions for something on which you do not work with or fully understand? You really cannot. You can do your best, but it will never be perfect unless you completely know what it is your making a choice for.

Advice to Management

Put your employees first. Disregard the outdated "the customer is always right" phrase because: 1. it makes your employees feel mistreated and under appreciated 2. You let customers walk all over you and you loose money in doing so 3. It makes customers think they do not have to give respect to your employees; and thus your employees will have to put up with that and it will make them work less efficiently 4. Sometimes the customer is, in fact, wrong. If you put your employees first.. then they will in turn put your customers first. I seriously cannot stress this enough. Speak with your employees. Have open communication.

I love being a planogram setter at Meijers

Current Employee - Set Planograms in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Set Planograms in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have a great boss and have learned a lot about setting new planograms from her.

Cons

The store director needs to show more respect and passion for his workers.

Advice to Management

Love your people, I have a great manager that I work for, but some of he other managers need to respect your people more.

Analyst

Current Employee - Team Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Team Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities since the company is doing so well.

Cons

private company means not as many perks, also a rapidly growing company that needs a lot of help with change management.

Advice to Management

invest in better talent and be more competitive to retain good talent. Company culture could use a lift as well.

Own Brand manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- co-workers / peers
    - pay / incentives (but not uniformly so)
    - physical work space / enviorment
    - peers
    - financials & key performance metrics very strong vs. industry

Cons

- senior leadership frequently changes mind and approach
    - senior leadership treats rank and file poorly
    - communication of high level strategies is poor
    - culture that Meijer family developed is not being lived out
    - rank and file are basically fearful of senior management

Advice to Management

to Meijer family - understand that there was / is a need to bring in new thinking from the outside. The price is erosion and eventual elmination of the culture that Fred worked so hard to instill....

6. Great employer!

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

a wonderful place to work if you are young. Flexible hours and an employee discount. Co workers make it a great job to have while going to school.

Cons

Working with the general public is not always fun, there are plenty of things to do to keep yourself busy. The pay is not as high as it could be.

Advice to Management

The best jobs I've worked have had managers who were willing to do the same things they asked you to do. Making sure there is truly teamwork in the wirkplave does wonders for morale.

Great company

Current Employee - Supermarket Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Supermarket Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Team work, positive vibes, great company

Cons

not family oriented, selfish employees, bad leadership

Advice to Management

NA

8. Nothing keeping you here.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience I had amazing coworkers and they conformed to my schedule very nicely.

Cons

Every other aspect of having a job.

Advice to Management

Make your workers actually want to be there and pay them a wage that either meets your expectations, or lower your expectation to match their given wage.

I wouldn't suggest working at Meijer Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Customer experience. Learned a ton about medications and how pharmacies, and patient care

Cons

Management is unorganized and petty. They play favorites and are passive aggressive.

Advice to Management

Get organized, and hire managers who say what they mean instead of pretending everything is alright and sending passive aggressive emails behind your back.

No scope for personal development

Current Employee - IT Systems Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - IT Systems Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Pays above average but to get there you have to negotiate hard.

Cons

No training at all, they expect you to get head-down working from day 1.

Advice to Management

Train people on newer technologies.
    Give avenues for personal growth.
    Spend some more money on IT infrastructure.

Clueless Leadership

Former Employee - Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For how poorly Meijer treats their employees, they have some incredibe talent on their digital team...when there was a digital team.

Cons

My time at Meijer was the most stressful, pointless, and frustrating of my career. They have some truly incredible talent that they neither optimize nor appreciate. Management is not forward thinking or innovative, and they are completely unresceptive to new ideas or a "bottom up" approach. The seemingly arbitrary "direction" of leadership I experienced during my time there was baffling. If you are considering this company as a potential employer, save yourself some serious anxiety and take your talent elsewhere. This company is a blemish on my resume and I am deeply disappointed that I made the mistake of wasting my time there.

Advice to Management

For God's sake, PLEASE look under your noses and realize the innovative, intelligent people you still employ and put their talents to work! Also consider firing your senior Marketing leadership; they're truly useless.

RSS Feed </> Embed