Meijer

Updated November 13, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 29 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • 75 starting (mind you this is in Illinois in which the minimum wage is 8 (in 34 reviews)

• Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Transformation

Current Employee - Professional At Corp Headquarters in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Professional At Corp Headquarters in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members - good folks to work with

Cons

We are in the 'storming' phase with a new leader at the helm -- soon we'll be 'norming and performing'

Same 'ole advice everyone seems to have when speaking of management....start managing by walking around and really getting to know what's going on in the trenches. Sometimes we 'think' we know what people think...the latest mCulture survey results should be a wake up call.

Read my review

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They exist in extreme winter of midwest. Their stores work because they r open 24 hrs. Tell them to expand out of their domain and come to real world and they probably wont succeed

Cons

I worked in IT, so here is my indepth review of this company from IT perspective
    1) Unprofessional - even though work culture promotes wearing professional clothes at work

2) culture promotes backstabbing to the next level. You cannot find them adjusting to people having families. For them its a frown. Im sure it trickles from top down.
    What kind of a place promotes backstabbing? So the idea is to come here and work and fight all the time and not be happy. If thats what u are looking for, welcome to meijer.

3) Not diverse (imagine IT is not diverse), and I have worked in GE, that was diverse. Yes they may have all kind of contractors but not FTE.
    And lets not get started how poorly the contractors are treated.

4) No Industry standards maintained - period
    I worked in an application which worked without log files. I was :O throughout the time. I said how do u account for things which work or not work - no response, coz thats how midwest works

5) The only happy people here are at top. Middle & lower levels are miserable which begs the question of the location & best practices. Anything I have ever read/studied or observed which works in real world, is done a different way here and it only works in midwest.

6) Location is the problem, the culture is a problem, the technologies used are questionable
    I remember they purchased one software from a vendor , and when i asked some questions about product warranty, i was given blank stares (meaning they were paid under the table to not ask questions)

7) this is the best one - it still promotes british class system, as i walked into their building once
    saw one Senior mgmt guy sitting and around 30 middle aged guys (middle layer mgmt) standing in front of him with their heads bow

Looking at all this made me question myself why did i even accept their position in first (maybe i was under a grey cloud and couldnt see clearly )

Im sorry advice is give to those who listen
    I cant predict another 5 to 10 yr anniversary for you because of your practices.

Great teams, but hectic industry

Former Employee - Ecommerce in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Ecommerce in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some of the most talented web designer/developers I've ever worked with. Everyone on the team was very skilled, and the level of work was always high quality. Leadership was also very supportive of new ideas.

Cons

Because of the industry, work tended to be very hectic at times. All decisions had to be tied back to sales/margins (as they should be), which added a lot of pressure to the employees. Also, there are a lot of contract workers who are expected to make the same contributions as full time employees, but for much worse benefits and compensation.

Great company, great people

Current Employee - Corporate Brands Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Corporate Brands Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I made the move to Meijer after a few years at a previous employer. I was looking for more professional growth, and that is exactly what I am receiving in my current position. My opinion and insight is considered an asset to the team, and makes you feel great that you are appreciated. They just moved several departments into the new office building in 2014. The company is really doing well as of late and I continue to see this trend continuing.

Cons

PTO and comp days are rather stringent, this could definitely be improved. Continuing education can also be improved.

Invest more in your people, make them want to stay.

Meijer is a wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly and great to work with. The environment is fantastic, and there is a lot of room for promotions. The pay is very decent, and it's not too hard to separate work and life.

Cons

Retail is a lot of hours and a lot of holidays. There is also a union that employees are a part of. There are a lot of girls, so sometimes there is a lot of drama and cattiness.

A place to make an impact!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big business, but not TOO big. One can make an impact in this environment.
    Corporate values align with personal values in a welcoming culture
    Cross-functionality and exposure to many different areas within the business
    Company is performing well and continues to grow, people can develop quickly within that

Cons

Confusion amidst growth is exciting but challenging
    We are walking with certain processes, when we could be running

Diffcult to work for. Management changes alot.

Former Employee - Greeter in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Greeter in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people you work with and the customers you meet.

Cons

Getting enought hours in to be classified as full-time and to accquire a vacation ---- is nearly impossible. Pay Scale isn't at all good!

Hire and pay personnel in regards to the quality of their work and quite trying to work a person to death.

Good short-term job.

Former Employee - Team Member in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Team Member in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

(My) team leader listened to my recommendations, accepted time-off requests, was flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Some coworkers can be catty, and they don't pay too well. No-drink-at-station policy and there is low humidity, so I got thirsty a lot. Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status.

Don't use and abuse employees (not personal experience, but that of a friend at a different location.)

Inventory Control Analyst

Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Analyst in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to be promoted and move around the company to gain experiences in different areas of the business.

Most of the people that you work with are great individuals and will do anything they can to help.

Company is growing and experiencing great success and is forecasting that growth to continue for years to come.

Cons

The Meijer culture is VERY political and the atmosphere is negative most of the time, even though the company grows year over year.

Many promotions appear to be based off of who you know and not what your skills and value to the company are.

Job expectations can vary widely based on area in which you work.

Create a more positive atmosphere day in and day out. The business is growing year over year but yet the feeling inside the building on a day to day basis is negative. Meijer is winning far more than losing and we should be celebrating that fact, not just 2 or 3 times a year for an hour or two.

I appreciated the opportunity at Fred Meijer Corporate

Former Employee - Planner in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Planner in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities, product trials, flexible work schedule, salary

Cons

lack of leadership, not adequate time to learn new culture and dynamics

allow adequate time to learn