Meijer Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Great team leaders, great hours (in 29 reviews)

• Insurance coverage for part-time workers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Starts at minimum wage with only (in 35 reviews)

• even though most full-time workers had more days off than I did (in 33 reviews)

1. It's a job

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

fulfilling work, learn a lot, makes me feel useful

Cons

over worked and under paid

Advice to Management

stop micro managing

2. grocery

Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Grocery Team Member in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hrs, free movement, social interaction

Cons

rude customers, bad pay, poor management, bad organizational skill, an cheats you out of your days. working at Meier's I've had to work 9 days in a row or 7 and they'd do it by splitting it up between the weekend days its horrible, its painful, and they blame it all on their automated scheduling system. They gotten paid more working 2 days at serving fountain drinks than 2 days at Meier's. which amounts to less than 100$. you get no training and the management leaves much too early in the day making angry customers and confused workers.

Advice to Management

Train your employees properly and fix your scheduling system no should have to work 9 days in a row.

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Gas Station Team Member in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Gas Station Team Member in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company values are great as well as the compensation and incentives earned while working.

Cons

I've never run in to any problems personally.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. Customer Service positions at meijer

Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is ok it and is a nice environment to work in

Cons

managers are rude at times

Advice to Management

Hire better management team

Wow.. just wow

Current Employee - General Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing so far I can consider a "pro".

Cons

In my 22 years of retail, I have never seen so many employees wander around, wasting time on the clock with no accountability. Employees hide in the backroom to avoid helping customers and getting stuck doing real work. Leadership walks fast and looks busy without actually doing anything. The cliques are mind blowing, certain groups of employees never more than five feet from each other all day long, no matter what they're doing. Phone ringing off the hook, customers requesting assistance from the sales floor, co-workers ignoring it all, standing in back room talking about what's for lunch - management does nothing.

Advice to Management

Hold these people accountable. Call them on it when they're hiding or wandering around doing nothing. Force employees to be visible on the sales floor and answer the phone. Instead of ten people working on five boxes in the backroom, get half of them out on the sales floor, talking to the customer. No wonder customer reviews are nasty.

7. Terrible Treatment, Even Worse Management

Former Employee - Utility Worker in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Utility Worker in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Meijer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My coworkers were awesome. I have made friendships during my time at Meijer that I know will last for the rest of my lifetime.

-Some of the regular customers were fantastic. I helped a few of them to their car with their purchases as a part of my job duties, and I always came away with a smile on my face.

-Proximity of the store was close to my house.

Cons

-My former store has been through three different store directors in the past two years. There is no stability in the store's leadership, which is visibly causing morale to suffer at my former store.

-If you speak up about harassment in the store, you will be fired even though the so-called "Open Door Policy" says you can't be terminated for reporting such things and the SilentWhistle system is supposed to be no-retaliation and anonymous. I found out the hard way neither of those things are true.

-Scheduling is a joke. No matter the length of time ahead of a request or the importance of the request, there is about a 95% chance you'll have that request denied.

-Even though one of Meijer's core values is "Familyness", they could care less about your family. I asked for two days off per week to spend time with family and take care of school obligations, and I was laughed out of the office. I have also been in the presence of coworkers being chewed out for making the same requests. If you want time off to spend with your family, just quit. They'd rather you work 10 days straight with just one day off after that than give you two days a week off to spend time with your family.

-Management has no respect for the employees unless they're other managers. This is especially true if you're supposedly the lowest job on the store totem pole. I was verbally abused by a team leader that wasn't even my boss on several different occasions. It took another team leader from another department to overhear the tirade being thrown my way to get the offending boss to leave me alone. Despite the many times I reported these incidents to my team leader, the store director, and HR, each handled the situation poorly. Some (corporate, specifically) ignored my multiple complaints altogether.

-Every time minimum wage increases, your hourly raise number resets. It doesn't matter if you're on hour 899 of 900; if minimum wage increases before you work the 900th hour, you don't get a raise. Because of this, I never received a raise during my entire duration of work at Meijer. I also never received one vacation day in my two years of employment, which is somehow tied into all the hourly raise numbers.

-If you have a problem with an unruly customer and have to call a team leader over to take care of the problem, they will always give in to the rude customer and make you look like a fool for following store policy. I have so many stories to tell about this exact thing that I could write a book.

-There is a lot of favoritism. If you want to keep your job at Meijer, you'd better be in management's clique; otherwise, the first small mistake you make will land you in the unemployment line.

-Essential things we needed for our jobs that stopped working were rarely replaced or repaired. There are at least four lanes at my store that have been broken for about five years. Whenever the store gets busy, this affects how things run in the front end of the store.

-Rules are needed, but the ones Meijer enacts to take care of one-off mistakes made by a single individual in the store are designed to be enforced as if everyone else is a child. For example, on a day I didn't work, someone went into my team leader's office and destroyed some of her belongings. When I came in to work the next day, I was yelled at for the incident and had to sign a paper even though I was 200 miles away from the store when the destruction took place. Do be advised that one person's irresponsibility (or stupidity, to be frank) will most likely affect everyone in the store if something like this happens--yes, even if you're a state away from the store at a baseball game when the act takes place.

-Turnover rate is excessively-high, likely for reasons I've already described.

-One more very important thing to note: the atmosphere has changed to something even worse at my former store in the past few months. I have seen a declining number of customers in the store every time I visit, and the amount of business is nowhere near where it was when I worked there. Before, cars would be parked out to the gas station, and the parking lot situation was dangerous for anyone like me who primarily worked in that setting; now, the whole place feels lifeless and dead. I'm not sure how the sales are doing, but just going by my business knowledge, this few customers during peak times can't be good for any establishment. That is why I have stated the outlook of the business is getting worse in my rating.

I know this list is very long--and honestly, there is so much more I could write--but I'd like to let people know what goes on in a typical Meijer store.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with basic human respect, and listen when they suggest things or point out problems in the store. I truly enjoyed working at Meijer when I was first hired, but that changed after management began openly disrespecting employees in plain sight of the customer and treating others like grade-school children.

Also to corporate: invest in your stores. My former store is the most dated-looking store in the market. I'm not sure if that's what's causing the customers to flee in droves to the modern-looking mart of walls next door, but it has to have at least some effect.

There is no reason to make anyone feel like just a disposable piece of meat or anything less than a grown adult on the job. That is how I felt every day from mid-2008 until I was fired in 2009. It's no wonder so many on this page shies away from recommending employment at Meijer to friends and family. After going through what I went through, I can't say I'd recommend the company, either. To a company that I gave many hours over a two-year span, that's disappointing.

8. Fun place for a second job

Former Employee - Floor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Floor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule and worked around current job

Cons

worked a lot of weekends

Advice to Management

try to work with scheduling more.

9. Was okay, been going quickly downhill in the past year

Current Employee - Team Member in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Direct Team Leaders will help and acknowledge the work you do
    Getting time off when needed is fairly easy
    Relaxed atmosphere if you know what you're doing

Cons

No reward for working harder than the next person, they just end up expecting more from you with no additional compensation
    Low pay (Wal-mart pays better for the exact same work)
    I currently have at least 4 bosses to answer to on any given day, they don't communicate well, and when they all tell you to do something different you are the one who gets in trouble for not getting things done "when you were told to do it"
    Especially within the past month the company has really been getting increasingly disrespectful towards the employees

Advice to Management

eliminate the lines leader position, it serves no purpose, fewer meetings (went to 4 last Monday, and I'm a red shirt (team member)), reward good work with incentives, not with more work

Pretty good, but needs some improvement

Current Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

They are very flexible with time off requests (except during the holidays)Pretty good benefits, mostly good people to work with.The incentive pay is also nice.

Cons

Management is not down to earth about a lot of things. This mainly comes from the corporate office who is out of touch when it comes to how a store actually runs as compared to a model of how it should run. Pay is horrible compared to competitors and raises are only given at pre-determined times.

Advice to Management

Don't make such a big deal about things that employees do that have nothing to do with actually running the store. Schedule more cashiers so the rest of the store isn't always getting called up front to help customers check out.

11. Not worth the frustration when you consider you just work at a grocery store.

Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Grocery Stocker in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and easy to work with. If you work in a department you like and you are lucky enough to have managers that respect you and listen to what you need from an employer, the job is tolerable. The work, however, is tedius and will drive you crazy in the long run.

Cons

Low wages, expectations too high. Management expects long hours of extremely fast paced work to be conducted with a giant painted smile on your face to ensure customers that you love working for the store they are shopping in. The reality remains that you can't wait to clock out at the emd of the day and desperately want another job, but they are just not available in these times.

Advice to Management

Try to think on the hourly stocker's point of view and realize everything you want done isn't always possible

RSS Feed </> Embed