Meijer Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Great team leaders, great hours (in 29 reviews)

• Insurance coverage for part-time workers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Starts at minimum wage with only (in 35 reviews)

• even though most full-time workers had more days off than I did (in 33 reviews)

1. warehouse clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

able to be on my feet all day and move around as much as I wanted.

Cons

hard, labor intensive work for little pay.

Advice to Management

invest more in your employees and the culture of the warehouses.

2. Warehouse Worker

I worked at Meijer

Pros

Good pay and guaranteed a lot of hours if so desired.

Cons

Long hours that seem endless sometimes, I worked in the freezer as well, so that was not fun either.

Advice to Management

Hire more people more the freezer in the summer! Ice cream sales are at a high point.

3. Team member

Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Johns, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Saint Johns, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great for college kids needing flexibility in schedule

Cons

The micromanaging is ridiculous and you will always have someone over your back

Advice to Management

Respect is earned not given.

5. just as bad as Walmart

Current Employee - Food Clerk in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time

Pros

It's a job?, some good people. Easy to get time off as they always want to cut labor.

Cons

THE PAY!! Even full time can't cover rent. Any raises are eaten up by union dues. Advancement to management isn't worth it(pay, responsibility) Customer is always right(total crap). Expect to have no voice here. Tons of micro-managing. The more you know the more that they expect you to do. Too many cons to list if I'm honest.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect, stop the favoritism, and most of all.............manage.

6. I love it, but I need more money.

Current Employee - Order Selector in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Order Selector in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management, community, diverse Co workers all awesome. Meijer helps me grow as person and soul.

Cons

I need more money, but that is my fault and problem. It is good pay.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work.

7. Good job for the run of the mill college student

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are most always busy, so the shift tends to fly by There is never a shortage of available hours for an employee to pick up

Cons

Seemed like a lot of work demanded for the pay and rank of the job The opportunities to receive a wage increase were unfair and not very promising

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their suggestions/complaints Praise your employees more, they do a lot for you

8. Decent pay after a few years, good coworkers, Horrible management as well as the union

Former Employee - Cold Storage Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Cold Storage Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job itself is not difficult and you don't have to deal with customers. coworkers are nice and will lend a hand if you have a spill sacrificing their rate. The pay is pretty good if you work in the cold departments, and there is lots of overtime available. Once in a blue moon (maybe twice a year) we get free lunches as a way for the company to show their appreciation for our productivity or having no lost time accidents in a certain amount of time. The pay is superb for this kind of job, and if you stay awhile you could easily make 40000 dollars+ a year (automatic raises every 800 hours). You start at 12.59 per hour in the cold areas. Paid Vacation and holidays after a year of working there (some holidays are sooner). They promote from within quite a bit. . Safety is preached weekly but still an ongoing issue.

Cons

Work conditions can be dangerous and people get hurt at least once a month.. usually it is the fault of the worker, but there is very limited space in our dept and we ship out a lot of cases... so sometimes things get out of hand and someone gets hurt.. Meijer views employees as merely a cost of doing business, they don't look at their employees as assets that they need to invest in to be more profitable, rather they look at them as a burden. nothing matters to them except the bottom line. Management is snobby and talks down to their workers, who are busting their butts every day to make rate or better (rate is 95% but I have seen some people pull up to 130% in a week).. If you ever hear the phrase "good job",than you have just experienced a miracle, because even if you are accurate and pull rate every week, you will almost never feel appreciated, in fact the supervisors will find something that you are doing wrong and point you for that instead. Managers at Meijer are extremely inconsistent and it drives most people crazy to the point of quitting.The supervisors in my unit play favorites and don't care about seniority when it comes to job classes, they do what they want and the union lets them do it. If they like someone, they will give them an easier job (aka hilo instead of selection) than someone they don't like that has higher seniority, and they violate the contract all the time with this. The union does nothing about it. The union just takes money out of your check and gets some of the crappy workers their jobs back, that's all they really do. If you are a hard worker, be ready to stand up for yourself because the union sure isn't. The point system seems designed to get you fired as soon as a real life crises happens. Schedules are different every week. Getting vacation days is almost impossible and you don't know your schedule until 2 days before the next pay period starts (You get it on Friday and the next pay period starts on Sunday). If you take a vacation, you won't get word that your days were approved off until right before the pay period starts so good luck making ANY plans that involves buying things like hotel rooms or plane tickets. My advice? Get full time as soon as possible and work in the cold department if you are going to work there, at least than you will have money since they pay the people in the warm departments closer to minimum wage and still view their workers as trash. Also, if possible, you may need to get FMLA to get a day off without getting a point closer to being fired!

Advice to Management

Treat your workers with more respect, don't always only care about the numbers.. The numbers will come if you treat your workers better. Don't play favorites. Be more consistent with your management strategies.. talk to employees like human beings, not another number that can be replaced. Employee retention is very low because of this, and I have to bet that this is starting to cost Meijer a fortune. Don't become the next Wal-Mart, follow your roots and core values (family, freshness, customers, competition, and safety & health).

9. This is a fast pace ever changing company

Current Employee - Maintenance in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice Company to work for. open door policy tops in the industry for implementing new technology and is in a growth spurt.

Cons

Retail is very demanding because of sales needs so they have many black out days during the holidays and because of their growth their is not much advancement from inside the company they have been hiring mostly outside of the company for management positions.

10. Hard work, but fair.

Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the warehouse keeps you fit. Friendly management if you don't ask for too much. Lots of independence in the work environment.

Cons

Don't plan on working there forever. Hiring contracts keep getting worse. Good stepping stone though.

11. Good family company. Boring shifts that are very repetitive

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for overtime work

Cons

Bad hours and employees essentially do the same exact thing every day

RSS Feed </> Embed