Meijer

Updated November 29, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 29 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • 75 starting (mind you this is in Illinois in which the minimum wage is 8 (in 35 reviews)

• Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard work is required...or else.

Former Employee - Loader in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Loader in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You learn how to operate heavy industrial equipment. Want to be trained on something to get a raise? The boss would find a way to get you trained. Some of the people were awesome to work with.

Cons

The UFCW is worthless. First hired, first fired (didn't happen to me). Expected to work 40 hours plus mandatory overtime even if part-time (even happened outside of the holiday season), sometimes as little as 16 hrs. Only 1/5 of the hourly workers were full time (no benefits for the rest of us). Work could be extremely dangerous depending on how much needed to be done, you could be fired for as little as 1 week of not making your quota. Sometimes working safely meant risking your job because of the quota. Limited advancement....

When college students work on the industrial side of Meijer, consider picking out those for business/entry-level management positions when they get their degrees. They have unique experience working as an hourly employee and can be a real asset to the company.

No Livable Wages Here

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your coworkers can make a bad employment experience better.

Cons

Low wages, middle management that care more about advancing than the people they 'manage', retail gone wrong ever since Fred Meijer passed.

Consider serious restructuring.

Family oriented environment.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Really enjoyed my time at Meijer. Was recruited away by an exceptional offer or would still be there. Great family atmosphere and management truly cares about the team members. There are advancment opportunies especially if you are willing to relocate. The company is branching out into other markets in other states on a fairly regular basis. Good opportunity for a rewarding long term career.

Cons

Pay was a little lower than the industry which made it easier to be recruited away.

This is not an internship, but more of an observation of a workplace

Former Employee - LEAP in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - LEAP in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You will always get your hours, usually over 40. You can basically work any hours you want, as management has no interest in the schedule of their interns. It is advised to work a supervisor schedule as the LEAP is a supervisor training program. I did teach myself some useful skills and I know how to navigate some of the inventory system as well as fill out the end of day reports for the higher up management (I also taught myself). Meijer does some things that I like that shows their appreciation for Team members like paying for a cookout for the entire staff (giving everyone a free meal), giving team members free gas cards and other books of great coupons (30% of general merchandise and 20% of groceries). Guaranteed raises based on how many hours you worked or months you worked (seniority). Meijer also emphasizes safety to team members which I like. If you are there awhile, you will make pretty good money. This review is not for being a team member which isn't too bad, but for being an intern. This is a 5 month program and gives you a dollar on top of your normal wage for whatever job class you were in before the internship.

Cons

This internship will not train you on how to do anything. I was not mentored AT ALL. This is sink or swim. You can teach yourself everything and be successful, but you will have no help from upper management, and don't even think about asking questions.. no one has time to answer anything that is asked. You will also have very few meetings with your first assistant to see how you are doing or get feedback. You can do a huge project that helps raise the cases per hour of the entire building by about 15 a person, and get no recognition, or you can do nothing all day and hide, and STILL you will have no follow-up from management. This kills the motivation of even the best employees. There is no satisfaction in doing something that helped Meijer greatly as everything is ignored by management. You will be fighting an uphill battle to get the chance to make a major decision or do a job duty of a supervisor but will not be given the opportunity. You can't interview team members, you are not allowed to make decisions, you have no power over team members (you can't issue points, or give rewards). This has been reported as a problem with interns before me. It is highly advised that you come in from the outside if you want to be a supervisor, or apply for a supervisor position and get trained on the job.. If you become a LEAP intern, some buildings run it better than others... If you fail the supervisor interview and the LEAP is the only way you could be a supervisor, than that can be used as an experience, but don't expect to come out of it prepared for anything that a supervisor job will throw at you, that is something that you must teach yourself.

Actively monitor LEAP programs to make sure these programs are being run in a way to harvest the skills of the intern. Invest in interns by having regular meetings with them about their job performance, current projects being worked on (to help implement projects and ideas to make Meijer's distribution operations more efficient). Mentor interns when you are not busy and train them on how to do certain things necessary to be successful as a supervisor. Give interns goals to achieve and follow up on those goals

Wasn't appreciated for the work I did.

Former Employee - Cashier in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I wouldn't recommend it at all

Cons

Managers think they're better just because they're managers

Treat your employees better!!

Easy work,friendly environment.

Current Employee - Physical Intentory in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Physical Intentory in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company treats you like family and its a really great place to work. You get a full 40 hours and health benefits even if you are a part time employee.

Cons

Getting rate is hard work at first but you will speed up after a little while.

Need better entrance and exit strategy.

meh

Former Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - General Merchandise Clerk in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Review in Lansing area suburb (want to stay anonymous)
    Some of the other team workers were really nice

Cons

Low pay
    Little/no growth
    Low morale
    Unpredictable hours
    Some team leaders have over inflate egos

Fix the cons
    increase pay

Overall good company but the devils in the details

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It can be a good job to pay the bills after a few years. The work is not terribly hard and the majority of people are friendly. Definitely a secure job if you are a good worker.

Cons

Training can be lacking and the leadership at lower levels needs improvement. Like all jobs there are those that work hard and those that will slack.

Work on promotion from within and weeding out those that are not productive. Better training is needed in all levels.

Great pay and benefits

Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Food Service Manager in Okemos, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay and benefits as a manager

Cons

Long hours!! Some upper management is hit or miss on communication.

Stick with a plan. Don't change your minds half way through several times.

Good first job

Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Ledge, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Grand Ledge, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a perfect job for someone with no work experience. This job will teach you to be punctual, the meaning of a team player, and many other needed work ethics.

Cons

If you do not have good time management skills, or are not a people person I would not recommend working here.

Definitely keep checking up, in person, on each store. As well as sending encouraging thank you letters to employees who are noticed positively by customers. Those two things made me enjoy my job through the difficulty of some management who had a power complexity.