Meijer Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 29 reviews)

• Fellow Team Members and most of the Team Leaders are good people to work with (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • 75 starting (mind you this is in Illinois in which the minimum wage is 8 (in 34 reviews)

• Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Not to bad of a place to work, but pay is low for what is expected to be done. I found this to be true in every area.

Current Employee - Clerk in Fort Gratiot, MI
    Current Employee - Clerk in Fort Gratiot, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have made many friends. Store is well lighted and clean. There are some opportunities for advancement if you chose to do so.

Cons

They add more work and cut your hours, but still expect you to finish your job. The union UFCW is usless, they just take your dues and do nothing for you. They claim they do so much but you can get the same treatment, pay and benefits at non union shops.

Get more involved in the individual department that are having problems. We are always getting hollered at for holes on the shelves, but no one seems to order the product we need to fill them. We are always out of the best selling items and have an over stock of things that don't sell very well.

A typical, young person's part-time job.

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Oregon, OH
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Oregon, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Meijer allows for flexible schedules which are good for a college student. Here is also a good place to gain experience with customer service.

Cons

Management is lacking in certain aspects, but for part-time employment it's not a bad job. Opportunities to switch departments or stores is sometimes challenging.

Community

Former Employee - Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly and caring

Cons

Schedule wasn't always as flexible as needed

Working for Meijer can provide discounts and new friendships, but overall it's very impersonal and most people will get frustrated with the overall status of "the work us never done".

Former Employee - Team Leader in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are the friends that you'll meet and the discounts you'll get when making purchases at Meijer.

Cons

No overall sense or respect for individuals as people, who have families....who need to work around family obligations. The pay rates are low to average.

This isn't high school, there needs to be professionalism in the work place, not cliques. You need a sense of humanity and realism. Employees want to be a part of a family at work or they become unhappy, which becomes unproductive.

miss my job at meijer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

treat like family, great discount, clear policy

Cons

working untill 11pm and union dues

Line divide between employees and management

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

8 hour shifts. 2 breaks and a lunch. If you make it past the probationary period you basically have job security. Easy work that anyone can learn. Always hiring and give everyone a chance to work.

Cons

Team leaders are never around to assist you. I was just throw into my department without training. They are bad with scheduling to your availability.

Meijer will own your life.

Former Employee - Team Member in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Delaware, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its a pay check and a job

Cons

Never having a consistant schedule. Never knowing until Saturday night what days you would work or times Sunday - Saturday. If you scheduled a day off you may not get it. The pay was less than rewarding. Hard work doesn't pay off in this company at all.

Advancement Potential

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and time off are fair for full time employees. Union pay tops out quickly forcing you into management. There is great opportunity for managers to advance.

Cons

Most are hired as part time. Very unfair . A candidate for promotion may be denied advancement based on the store manager or district manager's personal feelings towards that person.

If someone has taken the time to complete all of the requirements for advancement they should be the first to be considered. Too much hiring from outside the company.

Great opportunity with a growing privately held regional company that believes in promoting and developing from within.

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is competitive with the national chains, the benefits are a little lacking. The culture in each store is unique, some are well oiled machines while others teeter on the verge of chaos. If you show the desire and ability to advance Meijer will promote and develop your career. Many team leaders and even store directors began with Meijer as hourly employees. I began my career with Meijer as a garden center associate and eventually became an Assistant Store Director within a relatively short time.

Cons

Biggest con was the demanding work schedule. As a 48 hr. salaried manager I often found myself working fifty or more hours a week.

Family oriented environment.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Really enjoyed my time at Meijer. Was recruited away by an exceptional offer or would still be there. Great family atmosphere and management truly cares about the team members. There are advancment opportunies especially if you are willing to relocate. The company is branching out into other markets in other states on a fairly regular basis. Good opportunity for a rewarding long term career.

Cons

Pay was a little lower than the industry which made it easier to be recruited away.