Meijer Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some Team leaders/ management are somewhat understanding and helpful (in 26 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You get paid minimum wage to do about 3 people's jobs (in 30 reviews)

• Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Flexible hours and great team work weekly paychecks

Cons

Should be closed on holidays

Decent

Former Employee - Cake Decorator/Specialty Clerk  in  Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator/Specialty Clerk in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers and customers are all around nice people. People are good about working in teams. Flexible in scheduling.

Cons

Managers are on a high horse and often don't make time to listen to your problems.

Focus more on employees and try to focus on positives instead of the negatives all the time.

I Wouldn't Go Back

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation Time after year
    401 K
    Rainchecks

Cons

Not alot of hours
    Attendance policy
    No holiday pay for new employees

Every customer is not always right
    Better attendance policy should be thought out
    Expand discount

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reasonable

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Always considerate of my schedule, the people are good, the pay isn't bad

Cons

Depending on what store you're at you can get the most difficult customers to handle, not everyone can be a team player

They should be more reasonable with expectations.

Not amazing but not half bad.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Springfield, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work, probably the best upper management I have ever worked for. You can receive benefits and not have to be full time.

Cons

Employee points system is a joke. Union pretty much gives lazy employees a free pass not to be fired. The particular management at my store sucked.

Treat your employees a little better.

Fast paced retail

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good. There are tons of opportunities to advance. Business is growing very quickly. Company has many strong family values. They conduct business honestly and at the highest of standards. Open 24/7, never a dull moment.

Cons

Business is growing so quickly that many people are promoted before they are ready. Pay could be better. It is a must to work the majority of all holidays and weekends. Last minute schedule changes often.

Transformation

Current Employee - Professional At Corp Headquarters  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Professional At Corp Headquarters in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team members - good folks to work with

Cons

We are in the 'storming' phase with a new leader at the helm -- soon we'll be 'norming and performing'

Same 'ole advice everyone seems to have when speaking of management....start managing by walking around and really getting to know what's going on in the trenches. Sometimes we 'think' we know what people think...the latest mCulture survey results should be a wake up call.

It was an okay job

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Port Huron, MI
    Former Employee - Team Member in Port Huron, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

good management, and flexible hours

Cons

the pay was not good, the management could be better.

Great Company

Current Employee - Grocery Team Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good flexibility with schedule. All around good.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Listen to team members because they see things that you may not. Everyone is an angel around the boss but as soon as they walk away they mistreat company time.

This is not an internship, but more of an observation of a workplace

Former Employee - LEAP  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - LEAP in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer as an intern for less than a year

Pros

You will always get your hours, usually over 40. You can basically work any hours you want, as management has no interest in the schedule of their interns. It is advised to work a supervisor schedule as the LEAP is a supervisor training program. I did teach myself some useful skills and I know how to navigate some of the inventory system as well as fill out the end of day reports for the higher up management (I also taught myself). Meijer does some things that I like that shows their appreciation for Team members like paying for a cookout for the entire staff (giving everyone a free meal), giving team members free gas cards and other books of great coupons (30% of general merchandise and 20% of groceries). Guaranteed raises based on how many hours you worked or months you worked (seniority). Meijer also emphasizes safety to team members which I like. If you are there awhile, you will make pretty good money. This review is not for being a team member which isn't too bad, but for being an intern. This is a 5 month program and gives you a dollar on top of your normal wage for whatever job class you were in before the internship.

Cons

This internship will not train you on how to do anything. I was not mentored AT ALL. This is sink or swim. You can teach yourself everything and be successful, but you will have no help from upper management, and don't even think about asking questions.. no one has time to answer anything that is asked. You will also have very few meetings with your first assistant to see how you are doing or get feedback. You can do a huge project that helps raise the cases per hour of the entire building by about 15 a person, and get no recognition, or you can do nothing all day and hide, and STILL you will have no follow-up from management. This kills the motivation of even the best employees. There is no satisfaction in doing something that helped Meijer greatly as everything is ignored by management. You will be fighting an uphill battle to get the chance to make a major decision or do a job duty of a supervisor but will not be given the opportunity. You can't interview team members, you are not allowed to make decisions, you have no power over team members (you can't issue points, or give rewards). This has been reported as a problem with interns before me. It is highly advised that you come in from the outside if you want to be a supervisor, or apply for a supervisor position and get trained on the job.. If you become a LEAP intern, some buildings run it better than others... If you fail the supervisor interview and the LEAP is the only way you could be a supervisor, than that can be used as an experience, but don't expect to come out of it prepared for anything that a supervisor job will throw at you, that is something that you must teach yourself.

Actively monitor LEAP programs to make sure these programs are being run in a way to harvest the skills of the intern. Invest in interns by having regular meetings with them about their job performance, current projects being worked on (to help implement projects and ideas to make Meijer's distribution operations more efficient). Mentor interns when you are not busy and train them on how to do certain things necessary to be successful as a supervisor. Give interns goals to achieve and follow up on those goals

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!