Meijer Reviews

Reset
2.8
Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Great team leaders, great hours (in 29 reviews)

• Insurance coverage for part-time workers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Starts at minimum wage with only (in 35 reviews)

• even though most full-time workers had more days off than I did (in 33 reviews)

1. Good Company

I worked at Meijer full-time

Pros

Very high standards, customer is # 1, good distribution system, great quality product. Their main focus is food. Meat is cut in store.

Cons

Turnover is an issue. Help, especially in skilled positions was hard to find. Some very good people had to carry lower productivity people.

Advice to Management

Store management needs to have some say in how the store is merchandised. Consistent direction is needed from one store to the next.

2. Depends on your values

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Allendale, MI
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Allendale, MI

I have been working at Meijer (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, relatively low stress

Cons

slow paced, lack of opportunity, inability to execute

3. Deli Clerk

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Ypsilanti, MI
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Ypsilanti, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Meijer was a laid back easy friendly environment. I enjoyed working with co-works. also customers that came in the store.

Cons

however a lot of turn overs and disorganize management.

5. Don't work on the bakery

Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Charlotte, MI
    Former Employee - Bakery Team Member in Charlotte, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willing to work with a student schedule, benefits, management is always willing to listen to your concerns, and they offer a discount on certain purchases

Cons

The closing shift of the bakery should have two employees, because not only do you have your own massive list of things to complete but you often have to finish up the previous shift's responsibilities that did not get completed. Part of this is due to the fact that the job is a union job which doesn't allow you to work longer to complete your duties, but you get in trouble if you don't finish everything.

Advice to Management

Make sure there is enough man power for the amount of work that needs to be done

6. Good for a part time job

Current Employee - Asset Protection in Ypsilanti, MI
    Current Employee - Asset Protection in Ypsilanti, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent starting pay, easy job, not much actual work to do. You get to help in the process of apprehending suspected thieves.

Cons

standing for entire shift, you are not allowed much interaction with other employees due to the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

Allow employees the opportunity to sit for part of the shift, and also be able to move around more and talk some to other people.

7. Meijer is a great part time job for extra income

Former Employee - Cashier in Maumee, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Maumee, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Meijer is the flexible hours for part time employees. Meijer is a retail company so it is mandatory to work weekends and holidays. However, the company is very flexible when it comes to scheduling. You can schedule your hours around college classes or a full time job.

Cons

As mentioned above, having to work holidays is a con. Most of the jobs at Meijer are low paying (I was a cashier). Most of the jobs are also customer service based so you are dealing with the public. Most of the customers at my location were very nice, but unfortunately, you sometimes have to deal with people that are rude.

Advice to Management

Meijer is a really good place to work part time. However, the employee turnaround at Meijer is pretty high. This is primarily because employees have to deal with the public and the low pay. Like most retail companies, a higher wage for employees would help reduce the number of employees that leave for employment elsewhere.

8. Cashier

Pros

My boss and team leader was always on my side if a customer wanted to pick a fight Meeting new people and having them become regulars. Getting to know your coworkers Part time benefits Weekly Pay lenient team leader(if you're lucky)

Cons

Having to stand on feet for long hours Not getting your break sometimes EXTREMELY BUSY HOLIDAY SEASON old cash registers upset customers Paper bags lol

Advice to Management

I dont have any advice for management because I rarely seen them

9. Depends

Current Employee - Deli Order Writer in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Deli Order Writer in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as the Order Writer gives me a great experience for my career goals

Cons

At the store I'm at, there isn't any type of advancement opportunities, they don't put team lead positions in the system for in-store team members to apply

Advice to Management

Let team members advance before bringing somebody from out of store. I also feel that a relocation pay would be beneficial to Meijer

10. Store Director

I have been working at Meijer full-time

Pros

Small, privately held company where making decisions just to please shareholders is not a concern. Nimble company that is able to make decisions to quickly influence sales and/or margin.

Cons

Systems and processes are not as capable as a larger company. The culture in store operations is a paperwork heavy system of checks and balances that intend to improve operations but do just the opposite - it lengthens the daily operations process and creates a culture of fear of mistakes with "gotcha" repercussions.

Advice to Management

They need to create an environment that is not negative. It is all about leading by fear rather than leading by positive motivation.

11. Forman

Former Employee - Carpenter Foreman in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Carpenter Foreman in Livonia, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, good crew to work with

Cons

Upper management was not honest to customers

Showing 997 of 1,008 reviews