Meijer Reviews

752 reviews filtered by
2.8
Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 29 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • 75 starting (mind you this is in Illinois in which the minimum wage is 8 (in 35 reviews)

• Depending on location they will use you up to 39 hours a week and deny full-time status (in 33 reviews)

1. Nothing keeping you here.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

In my experience I had amazing coworkers and they conformed to my schedule very nicely.

Cons

Every other aspect of having a job.

Make your workers actually want to be there and pay them a wage that either meets your expectations, or lower your expectation to match their given wage.

2. OK for a part-time job and customers were very friendly.

I worked at Meijer

Pros

Ability to work a low number of hours if that's what you want.

Cons

Didn't get breaks on time.

3. Ive been with meijer for 25 years its a great company to work for.

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Decent pay and bebefits , great amount of vacations and personal day

Cons

Working weekends and holidays,

Treat everyone fair

5. Everyone is friendly. Good place to work.

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Friendly people and a good work environment.

Cons

The people in managment could treat their workers better.

Respect and acknowledge employees more.

6. Family feel

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Flexible schedules, open 24 hours

Cons

Unrealistic work loads, lots of black out dates

7. Decent pay after a few years, good coworkers, Horrible management as well as the union

Former Employee - Cold Storage Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Cold Storage Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job itself is not difficult and you don't have to deal with customers. coworkers are nice and will lend a hand if you have a spill sacrificing their rate. The pay is pretty good if you work in the cold departments, and there is lots of overtime available. Once in a blue moon (maybe twice a year) we get free lunches as a way for the company to show their appreciation for our productivity or having no lost time accidents in a certain amount of time. The pay is superb for this kind of job, and if you stay awhile you could easily make 40000 dollars+ a year (automatic raises every 800 hours). You start at 12.59 per hour in the cold areas. Paid Vacation and holidays after a year of working there (some holidays are sooner). They promote from within quite a bit. . Safety is preached weekly but still an ongoing issue.

Cons

Work conditions can be dangerous and people get hurt at least once a month.. usually it is the fault of the worker, but there is very limited space in our dept and we ship out a lot of cases... so sometimes things get out of hand and someone gets hurt.. Meijer views employees as merely a cost of doing business, they don't look at their employees as assets that they need to invest in to be more profitable, rather they look at them as a burden. nothing matters to them except the bottom line. Management is snobby and talks down to their workers, who are busting their butts every day to make rate or better (rate is 95% but I have seen some people pull up to 130% in a week).. If you ever hear the phrase "good job",than you have just experienced a miracle, because even if you are accurate and pull rate every week, you will almost never feel appreciated, in fact the supervisors will find something that you are doing wrong and point you for that instead. Managers at Meijer are extremely inconsistent and it drives most people crazy to the point of quitting.The supervisors in my unit play favorites and don't care about seniority when it comes to job classes, they do what they want and the union lets them do it. If they like someone, they will give them an easier job (aka hilo instead of selection) than someone they don't like that has higher seniority, and they violate the contract all the time with this. The union does nothing about it. The union just takes money out of your check and gets some of the crappy workers their jobs back, that's all they really do. If you are a hard worker, be ready to stand up for yourself because the union sure isn't. The point system seems designed to get you fired as soon as a real life crises happens. Schedules are different every week. Getting vacation days is almost impossible and you don't know your schedule until 2 days before the next pay period starts (You get it on Friday and the next pay period starts on Sunday). If you take a vacation, you won't get word that your days were approved off until right before the pay period starts so good luck making ANY plans that involves buying things like hotel rooms or plane tickets. My advice? Get full time as soon as possible and work in the cold department if you are going to work there, at least than you will have money since they pay the people in the warm departments closer to minimum wage and still view their workers as trash. Also, if possible, you may need to get FMLA to get a day off without getting a point closer to being fired!

Treat your workers with more respect, don't always only care about the numbers.. The numbers will come if you treat your workers better. Don't play favorites. Be more consistent with your management strategies.. talk to employees like human beings, not another number that can be replaced. Employee retention is very low because of this, and I have to bet that this is starting to cost Meijer a fortune. Don't become the next Wal-Mart, follow your roots and core values (family, freshness, customers, competition, and safety & health).

8. Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Meijer

Pros

Helpful and friendly coworkers, good learning experience and overall company culture.

Cons

Nothing I can currently think of- I had a good experience overall.

9. The company was fair.

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employees were nice.

Cons

The pay wasn't the greatest.

Increase wages.

Loved my coworkers, unfortunately management was slightly incompetent

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Cashier in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, open door policy, will work with you on scheduling, room for growth (but not much)

Cons

Workload, management strategies, amount of unruly customers that are allowed to have their way

If you're going to give more responsibility to someone (service coordinator or service desk), you should probably also offer them some kind of pay raise.

11. Great Company

Former Employee - Clerk in Oregon City, OR
    Former Employee - Clerk in Oregon City, OR

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team oriented and very friendly environment

Cons

Time off frowned upon regardless of how urgent

Need to relax on employees