Meijer Reviews

Updated September 24, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day (in 28 reviews)

• Respect from management, the managers work just as hard to help out team members as the (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Wage growth is stagnant, hiring only minimum wage for team members (in 32 reviews)

• Management over worked which trickles down to team members workload (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Gas Station Team Member  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Gas Station Team Member in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company values are great as well as the compensation and incentives earned while working.

Cons

I've never run in to any problems personally.

n/a

great managers, slightly under staffed, tons of job experience, great co-workers.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Meijer part-time for less than a year

Pros

pay is okay for a pharmacy tech it is the only company in Michigan that will retain its non-certification policy for technicians despite the annual corporate fine (most meijer technicians aren't certified,however they are usually very well trained none the less) , I have found that working here has really helped me learn about the pharmacy as a business, there are more responsibilities available at meijer than at other pharmacies. When fully trained, the only things you can't do are the pharmacist checks, full patient consultations, and professional recommendations (it's their licence, not yours, so it is very understandable). managers are very open and are more than willing to help. there IS room for advancement, they have 4 tiers of technician, P I(1) through P IV(4), each tier gets a pay raise, you just need to pass a Meijer administered test. You are hired in as a P(1) and MUST pass a test within 6 months with a 75% or better. You get 1 attempt, it is approx 100 questions and includes a written and verbal portion. after that advancement is optional. Fun fact. meijer pharmacy as a business loses millions a year, but is crucial to the overall well being of the store by bringing in additional business, and even stealing competitors business with their wildly successful "free program" as a result it ends in a large net profit for a meijer to have a pharmacy. We are also advancing technologically, with things as text reminders, autofill, and soon a program will be released (it is in trial testing, hopefully released in 2015) that will allow patients to pick a certain day, and have all their RXs fill on that day of the month.

Cons

there are many rules and you must follow protocol. The pharmacy is largely dependent on the pharmacy manager, so it can either be very pleasant or very difficult depending who is in charge. I would have liked to see higher pay, but I know it could be worse. The technology comes at a bit of a learning curve, so being tech savvy never hurts.

my manager is awesome, she is scary, but never unjustified. I have no criticisms, I would just like to see some tweaking when it comes to smaller policies, such as making sure if a script is being filled locally, that the drug is always in hand of the processor prior to adjudicating to avoid unnecessary fees for billing.

Some team members aren't devoted

Current Employee - Utility Worker  in  Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Highland, IN

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team leaders, great hours. Will work with your schedule. Great team members. Team leaders are willing to help and take care of problems

Cons

Low pay some team members are very lazy. Anyone tends to be hired here. I one year of working there seen at least 14 people in my department come and go

Hire devoted people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experiences & growth with a competitive big box retailer.

Current Employee - Shrink Prevention Specialist  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Shrink Prevention Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Meijer is a strong & growing family owned company. The potential for growth within the company is limited only by your desires & abilities.

Cons

Recent restructuring has increased the distance that I must travel to get my job done. These changes have made it difficult & costly to be effective.

Measure growth carefully & pay close attention to how major changes impact performance. When compromises get made in the name of savings, you may find that you may lose more money than the previous costs.

Great

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Flexible hours and great team work weekly paychecks

Cons

Should be closed on holidays

Decent

Former Employee - Cake Decorator/Specialty Clerk  in  Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Cake Decorator/Specialty Clerk in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers and customers are all around nice people. People are good about working in teams. Flexible in scheduling.

Cons

Managers are on a high horse and often don't make time to listen to your problems.

Focus more on employees and try to focus on positives instead of the negatives all the time.

I Wouldn't Go Back

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Merrillville, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Merrillville, IN

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation Time after year
    401 K
    Rainchecks

Cons

Not alot of hours
    Attendance policy
    No holiday pay for new employees

Every customer is not always right
    Better attendance policy should be thought out
    Expand discount

Reasonable

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Always considerate of my schedule, the people are good, the pay isn't bad

Cons

Depending on what store you're at you can get the most difficult customers to handle, not everyone can be a team player

They should be more reasonable with expectations.

Not amazing but not half bad.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Springfield, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work, probably the best upper management I have ever worked for. You can receive benefits and not have to be full time.

Cons

Employee points system is a joke. Union pretty much gives lazy employees a free pass not to be fired. The particular management at my store sucked.

Treat your employees a little better.

Transformation

Current Employee - Professional At Corp Headquarters  in  Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Professional At Corp Headquarters in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team members - good folks to work with

Cons

We are in the 'storming' phase with a new leader at the helm -- soon we'll be 'norming and performing'

Same 'ole advice everyone seems to have when speaking of management....start managing by walking around and really getting to know what's going on in the trenches. Sometimes we 'think' we know what people think...the latest mCulture survey results should be a wake up call.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!