Meijer Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some Team leaders/ management are somewhat understanding and helpful (in 26 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You get paid minimum wage to do about 3 people's jobs (in 30 reviews)

• Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced retail

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good. There are tons of opportunities to advance. Business is growing very quickly. Company has many strong family values. They conduct business honestly and at the highest of standards. Open 24/7, never a dull moment.

Cons

Business is growing so quickly that many people are promoted before they are ready. Pay could be better. It is a must to work the majority of all holidays and weekends. Last minute schedule changes often.

Great Company

Current Employee - Grocery Team Member  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good flexibility with schedule. All around good.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Listen to team members because they see things that you may not. Everyone is an angel around the boss but as soon as they walk away they mistreat company time.

Good Company, but could be better.

Former Employee - E-$ Team Leader  in  Jenison, MI
    Former Employee - E-$ Team Leader in Jenison, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful staff. Training for Team members. People environment. Part of the public. Keeps cost down for shoppers.
    Friendly people that work there.

Cons

Hire people off the street at times for management instead of internal. Don't train managers when they get the position. Must learn on your own. Have people that are yes people and don't get the real work done.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work at meijer super store

Former Employee - Lines Leader  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lines Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Expansion, opportunity, promote from within, bonus, non union, family owned business, easy ability to transfer to other locations and states.

Cons

Pay needs to be higher, to many work hours for salaried managers, bonus availability needs to be higher for salaried and hourly managers

My Review of Meijer

Former Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a good job to get right after college. I learned to work with the public and serve. I worked in utility during the summer so that was a great way to burn off all that college weight. I worked my way up to working produce then stock. It's a great place with a lot of opportunity to switch areas.

Cons

The manager was unprofessional and couldn't relate to his workers.

Understand that we multi-task a great deal of work when we're working.

Originally good, slowly went downhill

Former Employee - Food Service Clerk  in  Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Food Service Clerk in Elgin, IL

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some great people and meet a lot of great customers.
    Work can be relatively easy.

Cons

Terrible management usually.
    Favoritism
    Bad hours that change weekly.
    If you work in general merchandise, life is easy, if you work in soft lines, it can be brutal.

This is obviously not meant for every Meijer location, but just be more lenient and respect your workers. There is no need to run a grocery store as if it is a prison on your workers on the front lines are prisoners.

Coworkers are great, but the rest of the experience is lacking.

Current Employee - Photo Lab Team Member, E4 Team Member
    Current Employee - Photo Lab Team Member, E4 Team Member

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great coworkers who feel like family. You don't get written up for taking longer lunches. Some of the team leaders (mine included) are very easy to work with on issues that pop up during the day. You usually get days you want off if they're requested in time.

Cons

Ultra-depressing environment on certain days makes you feel like you're working a funeral. Having fun is discouraged, even though Meijer prides itself on being a "fun place to work". Most team leaders make you feel like a total idiot for the littlest of mistakes. Corporate has absolutely no clue when it comes to how individual stores should run. Always short-staffed, which puts a ton of undue stress on a person if they end up having to run an entire side of the store without help. The word "team" in "team member" has no meaning because you're often thrown into situations where you need to be in about 5 departments at once to help customers, and a majority of team leaders refuse to help when asked because they think your job is beneath them. If you fail a secret shop because one of Meijer's glorious secret shoppers falsifies something on their report (which has happened in our store as recently as a day ago), you get points on your work performance record even though you did everything right.

Have more people scheduled every shift. Customers are getting VERY upset at us because of the staffing levels, but we can't do anything about it. You think friendliness is the answer to all the problems, yet nobody can consciously focus on being friendly when all we can think about is how we're going to deal with the next customer's rant when we finally get to the department where they need help.

MAKE STORES SCHEDULE MORE CASHIERS. I can't make this clearer. This is Meijer's big problem. Not enough cashiers mean GM gets pulled to run lane. GM getting pulled means no red shirts in GM. No red shirts in GM means customers get mad, locked "high value" product doesn't get sold because there's nobody to unlock cases or locking pegs, and the "availability to assist" scores tank on the survey. Scores tanking on the survey means no incentive check. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but part of me thinks they do this so they don't have to pay out incentive. Either way, management still gets their bonuses...and for what--horrible scheduling? Doesn't seem right to me.

Change the idiotic standards for secret shops. I know someone who worked for the company for almost 15 years who got fired because they forgot to suggest an extra deli product to a secret shopper. Meanwhile, people who have helped customers steal or have stolen from the company themselves still have jobs. This alone shows how far off upper management's priorities are.

Last but not least, let the individual stores decide how to operate instead of dictating unattainable standards from your cozy office in Michigan. Our store's cultural and financial outlook have been wildly-destroyed over the last few years thanks to corporate's goals. Greet each customer 40 times? Are you kidding me? If you want to annoy your customers right out the door, then keep that terrible idea rolling. You'll see sales plummet even further as customers flock to stores that don't pester them every 45 seconds with pleas to help them find what they need. There is helpful, and then there's what we do at Meijer.

Very Respectful Company

Current Employee - Order Writer  in  Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Order Writer in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Respect from management, the managers work just as hard to help out team members as the team members do. There is a Union.

Cons

Some of the cons would be in the department I work in, is there isn't enough help ever scheduled. There needs to be a mid-shift every day. This way the order writer can get done what they need to get done.

I think that there should be some type of application on the Meijer hand-held that helps the order writer with their daily activities. Such as when something is going out of date, and needs marked down. I would also like to suggest that in the Deli department to have a mid-shift everyday so everything can get done that needs to be done. The Order Writer has a great deal of responsibilities with those responsibilities on top of what they did before this position they deserve at least $1.00 on the hour

A very different place to be

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work with, great way to gain experience doing different things. And if you work at it hard enough, promotions to management or corporate are simple.

Cons

Horrible pay for Team members. The union sucks and is useless. Upper management are completely inept to how each store runs and think that their way is the right way when in reality each store is different and unique and should run a way that works.

Let the managers actually manage people instead of following your rules.
    Allow each store to run the way it works best for them.
    And pay the team members better! I have seen so many intelligent and hard working people immediately quit or eventually quit because of poor corporate culture

Great job if your looking for something easy part time.

Current Employee - GM Clerk  in  Grove City, OH
    Current Employee - GM Clerk in Grove City, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people for the most part. Scheduling is mostly flexible depending on which manager makes your schedule. Strong company with a good background.

Cons

Management is terrible at my store. The more senior the management, the dumber they get. If your work hard, don't expect a reward or to maybe get promoted. They reserve promotions for those that do little work and "befriend" the management. Nothing is merit based at all there, I actually believe they reward stupidity more than hard work. Turnover is off the chart for store team members. They have been trying to find out how they can change this by talking to store employees, but despite being told what the problems are, they just ignore them and figure its something else. Everything works on a point system. If you're late, its 1/2 point. If you don't show up for work its between 1-4 points depending on how you call off if you call off at all. 12 points in the attendance or performance category and you're terminated. If you have a work excuse from a doctor, you still get pointed. If you slip and fall and break your leg while at work, you also get pointed for being unsafe. If you show up everyday and are a model employee, they wont notice you at all.

Pull your heads out of your rears. If you want to discover the real problems in the store, you have to examine senior management behavior on a normal day. When you tell them your coming in to see how things are doing, of course they are going to be on their best behavior. I'm not a fan of the undercover boss show, but if you did something like that at our store for like 2 weeks, you would know whats wrong.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!