Meijer

Meijer Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer

Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some Team leaders/ management are somewhat understanding and helpful(in 26 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Starts at minimum wage, pay increases are only 15 cents/hr every 750 hours worked(in 29 reviews)

• Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company(in 26 reviews)

Easy work,friendly environment.

Physical Intentory (Current Employee) Lansing, MI

ProsThe company treats you like family and its a really great place to work. You get a full 40 hours and health benefits even if you are a part time employee.

ConsGetting rate is hard work at first but you will speed up after a little while.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better entrance and exit strategy.

Good company

Area Team Leader (Current Employee) Woodhaven, MI

ProsFriendly people, flexible works schedule, room for advancement

ConsYou will work nights weekends and holidays. Customers can be rude. Most upper management hired from outside the company

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more from within.

A good first time job or for those who use it while looking for something else.

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) Lapeer, MI

ProsLots of hours as we are always short-handed it seems. Leadership is pretty good and will work with you if you show some initiative in wanting to go further with the company. Work is pretty consistent and you are left pretty much on your own once you're given your assignment for the day.

ConsPay is not that great...minimum wage to start with small, regular raises. Huge turnover of employees. Always short handed in grocery department so always more to do than can get done in scheduled shift. End time of scheduled shift is somewhat arbitrary as leadership can "ask" you to stay up to a full eight hour shift with almost no, read as 15 minutes, notice and takes a dim view if you don't. Union is a waste and most resent having to pay them every week.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and a better training program would go a long way in stopping some of the turnover. The computer training system is okay but doesn't really address the day to day issues faced by employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great people

Corporate Brands Specialist (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsI made the move to Meijer after a few years at a previous employer. I was looking for more professional growth, and that is exactly what I am receiving in my current position. My opinion and insight is considered an asset to the team, and makes you feel great that you are appreciated. They just moved several departments into the new office building in 2014. The company is really doing well as of late and I continue to see this trend continuing.

ConsPTO and comp days are rather stringent, this could definitely be improved. Continuing education can also be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your people, make them want to stay.

Meijer is a wonderful place to work.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsEveryone is really friendly and great to work with. The environment is fantastic, and there is a lot of room for promotions. The pay is very decent, and it's not too hard to separate work and life.

ConsRetail is a lot of hours and a lot of holidays. There is also a union that employees are a part of. There are a lot of girls, so sometimes there is a lot of drama and cattiness.

A place to make an impact!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsBig business, but not TOO big. One can make an impact in this environment.
    Corporate values align with personal values in a welcoming culture
    Cross-functionality and exposure to many different areas within the business
    Company is performing well and continues to grow, people can develop quickly within that

ConsConfusion amidst growth is exciting but challenging
    We are walking with certain processes, when we could be running

Great work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun team atmosphere and flexible scheduling... people put a lot of effort into getting to know everybody on personal level.

ConsSometimes have to stick to "the system" even when leadership knows it's not the best way to do things

Typical part time job

Food Clerk (Former Employee) Maumee, OH

ProsGood Co-Workers
    Team atmosphere
    Fast Paced
    Union benefits

ConsVery bureaucratic structure
    You aren't important

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with employees, especially team leaders to team members!!

Meijer Thrifty Acres

Clerk (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsNo pros to consider except with my personal proximity to the store I work.

ConsHourly pay starting at $7.40 and maxing out at $11.00, being forced to join a Union despite my knowledge the union gives most of the dues to the Democratic party that are the possible reason for employees being reduced to 24 hours a week should the Employer Mandate for Obamacare be implemented, being unable to take holidays as travel time with my loved ones that have the holidays off without going to the Store Director for intervention. There are no benefits that are worth signing up for as it would take at least half my monthly income. Also, the point system that penalizes Team Members and Team Leaders alike for calling in when sick or being late to work when they cannot control it. I know of a few Team Members who have been terminated due to too many absence points.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease disassociate with the UFCW 951 Local as $30 a month is hard to bear with the low wages. Also, some people don't have a choice but to travel or take family vacations during holidays, so it would be nice to remove the "blackout" periods. It might seem insensitive, but perhaps make the muslim population work more during Christmas week so that the Christians can celebrate with their families. Likewise with the Easter season. Also, if there are multiple complaints against a Team Leader who is in charge of the entire GM lines at a particular store, please terminate or demote them.

Line leader

ProsPromote from within, and company growth

ConsPeople who have been with the company 20+ years can get away with doing anything they want.

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!