Meijer Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
754 reviews filtered by

1. Great company

I have been working at Meijer part-time

Pros

Loved it. Recommend to everyone.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

2. Growing company, lots of growth, high impact work, love my coworkers. It's a company that is changing the retail world.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Rapid growth in financially stable company. Lots of opportunity for promotions within.

Cons

Hours of work, rate of increases, lack of flexibility in full time positions.

Consistency in schedules

3. retail team member

Former Employee - Cashier in White Lake, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in White Lake, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours, competitive pay, location, right next to walmart

Cons

Their managers did not value their employees like they should have and they literally pushed them out the door

5. It's work.

I worked at Meijer part-time

Pros

Family-owned. Alright pay, managers are mostly competent(if you can find them), very flexible hours. training is thorough. Employees seem happy. Many locations and positions. Working in Grand Rapids it's not uncommon to run into one of the namesakes once in a while, but for some reason people act like they've spotted a Unicorn when they see them. I guess that works because I've had to play "Where's Waldo?" more than a few times just to get a simple answer from somebody. (During the interview process)

Once hired, my direct managers were actually very down to earth and seemed like good people. We were an outlet store so we had different "rules" and were a lot cooler than the schmucks at the regular store.

Cons

Seems understaffed at times, coworkers seem willing to "pass the buck" on pretty much every little problem. It gets very hectic around the holidays. You can't work in two different departments (from my experience at least.) Serious gossip problems and two-faced coworkers, but you'll get tat anywhere. Raises are based on time served, rather than performance or anything like that. I say "time served" because it felt like solitary confinement working on slow nights. The menial wage raises (0.10, really?) are set at predetermined times like it's a parole hearing, it's the only thing keeping you going. Some day you will get an extra dime an hour. "Get busy living or get busy dying," folks.

Wanna get into a manager position and maintain a social life? Forget it. Put your head down and put in those hours--I mean decades. Maybe you'll become a super, but you'll be in a hospice bed by the time you're a manager. Maybe you'll realize you'd have a better chance at joining the Illuminati. Maybe you'll realize you can get better pay elsewhere., but maybe you're proud of that bronze "Ten Years" pin you can stick onto your collar BUT NOT your name tag. Then, maybe you'll realize that it's just a job and you should get back to it.

It's really not that bad.

6. When I had my old boss: wonderful, but with the new boss: horrible.

Former Employee - Stocker in Cadillac, MI
    Former Employee - Stocker in Cadillac, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were awesome and we all got along just fine.

Cons

My boss was forced to go to grocery and the newer boss of the specific department I was in is always rude and mean to my old coworkers. I didn't like him at all and I ended up quitting on the spot because of his attitude.

Ask the workers of the department how they like their bosses and spend some time reviewing if a certain person is right for the job than just throwing someone into a manager position that may have experience, but is really rude.

7. Good company

Current Employee - Area Team Leader in Woodhaven, MI
    Current Employee - Area Team Leader in Woodhaven, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly people, flexible works schedule, room for advancement

Cons

You will work nights weekends and holidays. Customers can be rude. Most upper management hired from outside the company

Hire more from within.

My experience was great

Former Employee - Team Leader in Goshen, IN
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Goshen, IN

I worked at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here was getting a paycheck every week. They have a awesome salary once you become management

Cons

The training was good. The only thing that is overwhelming is visiting different stores for additional training. I felt the trainer should have come to where the workers are.

9. Easy work,friendly environment.

Current Employee - Physical Intentory in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Physical Intentory in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company treats you like family and its a really great place to work. You get a full 40 hours and health benefits even if you are a part time employee.

Cons

Getting rate is hard work at first but you will speed up after a little while.

Need better entrance and exit strategy.

10. Horrible

Current Employee - Cashier in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Meijer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that it's a job and it pays the bills....barely. You get to meet new people.

Cons

No respect, terrible scheduling, they basically pay people to shop there, they let people return items without a receipt for large amounts of money all the time, managers don't back up the associates in service, the pay sucks, the hours suck, and they don't appreciate the employees. Most Meijer stores are also extremely understaffed so it makes working there pretty awful.

Start respecting your employees and appreciating them. Stop letting people return everything without a receipt because you are just handing out money to them. Schedule more employees at the front end. When there are no cashiers, it upsets the cashiers who have huge lines and the customers who have to wait in those lines. Stop hiring idiot store directors who give into every customer's wishes. "The Desk of Yes" is complete crap. Non-management employees should have the authority to say no to returns. Those employees see things management doesn't.

11. Not anything like I thought it would be!

Former Employee - GM Stocking Clerk in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - GM Stocking Clerk in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Meijer part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team members, we worked well together for the time that I was there. Pay was more than I was making at my previous job. Nice, new store! Clean environment!

Cons

Get rid of your stupid stocking quota. Give your team members a set goal for their shift and leave them alone. Timing how long it takes them to stock 45 cases ( they give you an hour) is ridiculous. They tell you to drop everything if the customer asks a question of you, and when yo do they don't give you back those minutes you lost. Not fair at all. Instead of making your job more efficient with the use of hand held scanners for merchandise with no tags you are to run to the wall scanner, cutting minutes from your stock time. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Dump the stocking quota for GM and grocery, it's insane to put that much pressure on someone. As long as you get your merchandise out in your shift, who cares.