Meijer Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
2.8

Meijer Co-Chairman and CEO Hank Meijer
Hank Meijer

Pros
  • Some Team leaders/ management are somewhat understanding and helpful (in 26 reviews)

• Didn't take long for me to reach part-time seniority status due to the high turn-over rate (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • You get paid minimum wage to do about 3 people's jobs (in 30 reviews)

• Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Unethical

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is no good thing I have experienced in 10 years of working with Meijer.

Cons

The management is very unethical. No promotion unless you kiss their ass and not work hard. They don't hire right people on right time. Leaders Focus on what the corporate are expecting from store leader and ignore the team member issues. Corporate have no idea how the store runs. Cuts hours and expect more from hard working team members while ignore the TM they don't make effort. It's very unethical place to work even threaten the team member. I have shown interest in leadership and its been 5 years but no sign of promotion. When I approach to my lines leader with the problems in dept. I was told just ignore all this and focus on your work this way you will move up. I was left with a missing pay of 1 day for 3 month until I raised my voice. This clearly explains they don't value employe and their issues aren't taken care of.

Pay employee with extra skill such as forklift drivers, order writer, inventory analyst. Hire right team member and team leaders. approach team member problem equally as you would do for customers. make all department base pay equal or stop making a low base pay TM work at higher base pay. You need to spend more on ethics because that the human right and strengthen the moral within the team. Have a survey taken by TM every month about their team leaders. They should be able to give survey on all leaders in the store as well store director not just their 1st assistant. Cut down unwanted management position and bring in more team member. unwanted position such as lines leader store director in charge day and night. lines leader and store director job can be carried out by store director. lines leader and store director jobs are already being carried out by department team leaders. few of the department leader's jobs are carried out by order writer and inventory analyst for that reason pay extra for jobs that require extra skills. You are underpaying for such skill. higher your moral and lower unethical just like you tell the world "higher standards lower price". Stop your mystery shopper and the percentage bonus given on it and spend the money in supervising the ethics involved inside the store. stop bothering the store with white gloves, Meijer brand sales, audit because the leader practice it only when the upper management are visiting or such audit are coming. I believe such contest are important but whats the point when management does work for looking good rather than working towards being good and improvement. I want Meijer to be strong and survive because its gives jobs to more than 60000 lives. This Nation needs generals that can guide their solider to ethical wars of economy while other troops are guarding the borders.We all are solider and lets shows equal respect to each other.

Great experience, but not for the long run

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being in the pharmacy, you are in a close knit group of people. You feel like you are actually saving lives and you learn a lot about pharmaceuticals! very marketable skills.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Pharmacists are making 6 times what you make, but you do most of the leg work. It is a high paced environment. raises are negligible. Your evaluation is almost always underestimated and you only get a couple cents raise. my last one went up 12 cents.

invest in good techs. If you have good techs you will beat out the competition and then you wont have to waste your money on coupons.

It paid the bills, barely.

Current Employee - Food Clerk  in  Mount Pleasant, MI
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Holidat pay, and worked with college students. It was an ok job, but far from i what i would want for me entire life

Cons

Nights, weekends, and holidays. Mangers can very easliy favorite people, and even with the union it still happens.

Find something more long term.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was not great

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Northville, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time

Pros

They give you benefits and some flexibility in your schedule

Cons

The training they give you is not very good and very rushed

Awful.

Former Employee - Service Coordinator
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you don't like to work many hours, then expect not to be forced to work many hours.

Cons

Compensation, Benefits, Hours, Culture, Intense micro-management.

This is a retail job, people do not need to be micro-managed every five minutes. They do not need to be reminded about how safe or friendly we are apparently not being. If you want a more focused team, then pay the team more in either benefits or compensation.

Good manual labor job, weak pay.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate/Distributor  in  Tipp City, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate/Distributor in Tipp City, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, you make a lot of friends and some that are willing to go out of their way to help you. Physically demanding work that helps you stay in shape and makes the day go by fairly quick. Two 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch, over time.

Cons

Lazy co-workers, very difficult to get full time status, no sick days, no vacation, very hard to get a first shift position, union dues, hold stuff over your head, not very knowledgable supervisors, loud enviornment.

Please train or re-train supervisors. A lot of times they do not know the answers to questions that are work-related, or never find out an answer for you. Let people cross-train to different sections to get a feel for each position.

overall not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Warehouse Clerk  in  Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI

I worked at Meijer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

after a few years you can make decent pay with overtime available often. easy to make rate and make new friends

Cons

the point system is heartless and can be difficult to work around. a lot of employees make it hard to advance

Works with your schedule...that Is if you actually get hours

Current Employee - Food Clerk  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Food Clerk in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, Will rehire, "union shop" , Easy to get a job, Paid time off after a year. Able to transfer between stores, Incremental pay increases

Cons

Horrible company to be honest, Corporate runs the show, but seems inept (for example I work with scales that are set up so poorly, as per orders, yet cannot change the tares to save the company money). Managers and especially Store Directors walk around the place at best doing a little bit, and a worst not helping at all while sitting around talking on their store cordless phones complaining that you aren't working hard enough (have even seen store directors make personal calls on the clock about his kid's baseball training regime). After the ACA (Affordable Care Act) act it has also been decided that every part timer can go hang, and will be cut below 20 hours a week. New people are being scheduled around 14 hours per week. You get treated poorly here and worked to death, even young people have trouble keeping up with business because you have been cut to the bare minimum of staff (even before current hour cuts). Pay is also Awful, and coupled with 20 hours a week you either need to get another job or LITERALLY starve (while they hire double the staff to skirt the new laws).

This company didn't get so big and lucrative without stepping on somebody. Fred as far as I have heard at least kept things for the average worker somewhat good (even if he did die worth 5 billion), but since his greedy sons took over it has all gone downhill. As it is now, there is no way you can move up in this company, since you will NEVER get the hours to get full time (since all new people will be 20 hours or less). I suppose you could try and kiss-up and get a manager-ship but then all your job will consist of is following corporate's orders lock step and telling people to work harder, and then do paperwork for 5 hours and leave early.

In short, I can hardly thing of one positive of this company, especially starting out, It may seem like a rant, but all of the positives I have laid out pail in comparison to what one has to put up with to work here. Most of us stick around because we need the money

Let us work ans stop trying to expand too fast. The company can afford to keep our hours even with the ACA, they just choose not to. If the company stopped selling it's sole to battle Walmart this could all be done, yet the current plan is to run the little guy employee under the bus, cut as many corners as possible, keep customers just happy enough and rake in the dough

Be competent and hard working and you can advance.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere representing core values. Maintains an approach to freshness and quality not easily met in big box stores, while maintaing most of the low prices.

Cons

Repetition can set in after a while, doing the same thing for what can be years can get old very quickly. Fight to get in other departments.

Cross-training. Train team members amongst other departments, and then LISTEN TO WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS ARE OFFERED!

This place sucks!!

Current Employee - Journeyman Meatcutter  in  Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Journeyman Meatcutter in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with are fun

Cons

There is NO discipline system in place

DO YOUR JOBS!!!!

Worked for Meijer? Contribute to the Community!