Meijer Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
781 reviews filtered by

1. Great for students, Good possible career opportunities.

Former Employee - GM Clerk in Hartland, MI
    Former Employee - GM Clerk in Hartland, MI

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Generally, your co-workers are great people, or at least people you will get along with.
    - Benefit options are great.
    - The discount you get on the cloths and general merchandise is pretty standard.
    - I was treated with respect, this depends on your work ethics and your managers / peers.

Cons

- Management switched many times within my 2 years of working in the GM department.
    - Some managers (Team Leaders) 'power trip'. Even if they're not your team leader, they may tell you what to do.

Advice to Management

- Talk TO, not DOWN TO your minions (Team Members).
    - Do NOT point out flaws of your team in public, pull each member aside separately and privately.
    - Train your team members 'better'. set aside one full day for one job they may be doing as a team member in that field, for each job they may end up doing.
    - Stop switching around management so often... I had about 3-4 management switches on me during my 2 year stay with you guys.
    - Allow team members in 1 area to become team leaders in the SAME area... I did not see a Sea Food team member becoming a GM Team Leader as a very effective strategy.
    - Dont only LISTEN to your employees, but also take their advice and complaints to heart. Example: We had a very poor assistant Team Leader, after talking to her one on one, our entire GM crew brought up her degrading personality to the Team Leader, then eventually to the Store Director. She eventually became our Team Leader and the majority of the team quit or transferred to different departments shortly after.

2. I hate it here

Current Employee - night stocking team member in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - night stocking team member in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I make decent money, and have good job security. Benefits are pretty good. Shopping is easier since I know where stuff is already. My co-workers are nice and fun to work with.

Cons

(This could just be the store i work at but I wouldn't know) Feel like I'm living paycheck to paycheck and won't really receive any raises since I'm topped out. There aren't really any advancement opportunities given in store. You have to go and apply and find your own spots. Working nights my body is always beat from heavy lifting and constant bending. The managers are fairly rude and talk down to you like you're a complete idiot and don't seem to do much work. They usually stand around and walk around and nit pick the dumbest things like talking while working or using the restroom. I've worked there 6 years and applied to be promoted and have taken the training 3 times and I'm still doing the same thing when I've started. We are always extremely understaffed. No one takes responsibility for anything.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility, treat employees with some decency and respect and maybe new hires
    Would stay longer than a month. Hire some more people for nights. Don't make people do things you're not willing to do yourself.

3. Not bad, not good.

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Flexible schedule, good hours if you ask for more. There is the ability to move up if you are willing to wait for years and prove yourself over and over.

Cons

Team leaders hired off the street before they'll even think about promoting within the company. Company moves at a snail's pace with any and all decisions.

Advice to Management

Listen to and appreciate the workers you have and maybe the turnover rate won't be so high...

5. Overall good company but the devils in the details

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It can be a good job to pay the bills after a few years. The work is not terribly hard and the majority of people are friendly. Definitely a secure job if you are a good worker.

Cons

Training can be lacking and the leadership at lower levels needs improvement. Like all jobs there are those that work hard and those that will slack.

Advice to Management

Work on promotion from within and weeding out those that are not productive. Better training is needed in all levels.

A culture of animosity, bitterness, and resentment.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great opportunity to gain experience dealing with the general public (despite some of it negative).

Scheduling was more flexible than one would expect.

Employee discount- a little limited in my opinion (10% gen. merchandise only) but definitely counts as a pro.

Pay rate was acceptable for an entry level job, after all- they aren't asking you to calculate launch trajectories or remove frontal lobe tumors.

Cons

The management; they foster a work environment of hostility, favoritism and backstabbing office politics. Some managers were okay, even actually helpful to their subordinates, others however treated the lower-echelon employees with mistrust, disrespect, and even resentment.

Promotions and raises are few and far in between.

Working with the general public, oh what fun. It wouldn't be so bad when dealing with very entitled, self-absorbed and egomaniacal people, except when the manager is right there supporting the customer's harassment and extreme hostility toward employees.

Advice to Management

I could write a small novel with what's wrong, but I'll sum it up in a single sentence: You treat employees like crap, and act like it's a privilege to be treated as such because the economy sucks and we should only be so lucky to have a job that hates us.

If any Meijer executive staff read this review, please read an article by huffington post titled "5 reasons why 'the customer is always right', is wrong."

Your policies on how customer service is handled results in a poor experience, for both customers AND employees.

7. Hard Work Equals Success

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity for advancement. If you're intelligent, hard-working, and customer-focused, then promotions come easily. Put in the time and effort and good things will come.

Cons

Tight, tight labor budget. Either not enough people employed to do the job, or enough people and not enough hours allowed to accomplish the tasks. The customer loses in either scenario and sales suffer.

Advice to Management

Your people want to work; let them! You can't beat Wal-mart on prices, so you must offer superior service. Allow leadership the labor to run their departments and serve the customer!

8. Great Place Good People

I have been working at Meijer

Pros

Great pay and bonus. Opportunity to advance is there as well.

Cons

None everyone is great. Nice front office, nice HR.

9. Fast paced environment with a chance to meet a wide variety of people.

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Meijer part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working here is convenient because Meijer sells such a wide variety of products. If you need to make a quick personal purchase, Meijer usually has what you're looking for. The corporate team has a great vision and sense of where the company is headed. Flexible hours, since the store is open 24 hours a day.

Cons

Typically faced to interact with customers who are rude and have only their self-interests in mind. Usually forced to work weekends, since these are the peak hours of their business. Corporate has unrealistic expectations for employees.

Advice to Management

Set more realistic expectations for employees. These are workers who are making low wages and most likely are not motivated by the company's success. Give employees an incentive to carry out the roles and tasks they are asked to perform.

It is not the best place int he world to work ,but it beats flipping burgers

Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Norton Shores, MI
    Current Employee - Retail Clerk in Norton Shores, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Its easy to get hired in, its unionized, and you can move up in the company if you so choose. If you're going to college they can be somewhat flexible with your schedule

Cons

The turn out rate is ridiculous. The managers will not listen to their own employees, the newer managers themselves have very little experience in managing. The work environment is not very fun. Sometimes there is not enough coverage for your department and your vacation days are denied.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and don't hire inexperienced managers

11. Could be better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Meijer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. Works around schooling.
    2. Benefits for part and full time ( Blue Cross Blue Shield)
    3. Good hours.
    4. Professional Store Director(s) that are one on one with workers.
    5. Has a Union

Cons

1. Starts at minimum wage with only .25 cent raises nothing more.
    2. Very high turnaround rate. People are always quitting.
    3. Some Mangers do as they please, and don't treat workers very well. You have to be in the right department.

Advice to Management

1. Raise minimum wage for you workers. From Families, students, to single parents. You have some very hard working people that feel taken advantage of because you wont pay them a living wage. $10.00 would be a great start. Other States have just raised it to $15.00 Just something to think about.

2. Hold bad Mangers to their actions. Yes we are nothing without the customers but you cannot give good customer service if your managers walk all over their employees. ( Note here there are some very good Mangers at this store, but the few bad ones spoil it for employees.) Please take care of these bad Mangers it sets a very bad example and is poor business, and is part of why the turn over is so high.

3. Hire enough people per shift, in the department, or give cash bonus for those hard working red shirts that do the job of 3 plus people, because you don't have enough people on the job for the shift. It is not right that Mangers only get cash bonus, for the work of the red shirts. Another reason turnover rate is so high.

4. Please add a new core value. Employee Advancement and Happiness. Happy Workers give top customer service.

5. Lastly, why are you hiring mangers off the street, instead of advancing team members who have been faithful to the company?

Please give back to your hard working Red shirts and Mangers. Some Red Shirts need to be Mangers. Some bad Mangers need to go. You will be the next Wal-Mart if you keep taking advantage of you workers.