Meijer Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

No scope for personal development

Current Employee - IT Systems Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - IT Systems Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Pays above average but to get there you have to negotiate hard.

Cons

No training at all, they expect you to get head-down working from day 1.

Advice to Management

Train people on newer technologies. Give avenues for personal growth. Spend some more money on IT infrastructure.

2. No employment opportunities

Pros

Easy work, meeting people, developing customer service skills, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Schedule not flexible, low pay

3. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Goid benefits, promotions. Good hours. A lot of locations. Can relocate to other cities for advancement

Cons

No cons. Just had to leave due to family concerns. There was not a lication in the city I moved to.

Advice to Management

Build more stores in the midwest area.

5. Felt like I constantly had to prove that I was better than other employees.

Former Employee - Cashier/Greeter in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Greeter in Louisville, KY

I worked at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Point system. Most employee's are willing to help you because the training doesn't really prepare you.

Cons

Timed cashier work. Endless job training. Made me be a greeter even though I applied for cashier.

On the whole, a pretty miserable experience

Current Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One does learn some valualbe skills in retail, such as sublimating one's contempt for the beligerent, quasi-sentient hoards of customers. If you have a pulse you can get hired. There is a fair amount of upward mobility in management by virtue of the simple fact that turnover is so high. Some departments (like the Bakery, or Starbucks) seem more autonomous than others, in these one only occasionally has to deal with Meijer management.

Cons

Meijer has the bureaucratic inefficiency of a much larger company. It takes forever for upper-managment to approve the replacement of any broken equipment, regardless of how much money it costs the company or the embarasment it brings. However this penny-pinching is not evenly and universally applied to all aspects of business; indeed some departments waste thousands a day because of inadequate inventory control systems or communication breakdowns throughout the supply chain. Much of the management at the store level are cast offs from Wal-mart (if you ever wondered, yes, in fact, one can go lower than Wal-mart). One of my bosses is functionally illiterate, and he's not even the worst one. I don't mean to give the impression that everyone working in management is inept. I found some exceptionally bright and hardworking people. But these were few, and they were mostly bitter and exausted from the stress of carrying their far less capable counterparts. As for the other employees, what's to say? When you hire people at barely over minimum wage, you're subject to high turnover rates, and all the inexperience and indifference that comes with a workforce that knows they are replaceable. It's hard to watch these people listlessly shuffling through their florescent-lit purgatory waiting desperately for their next break like it's the sweet release of death. Oh, and the Union is beyond useless. It makes it impossible for employees to get performace based raises or tips, which eliminates any incentive for most employees to perform. It also makes it nearly impossible to fire some worthless employees that have mastered the subtle art of doing exactly enough work to not be fired. As a department head (I won't say which one) I write employee schedules for my small department, and I can't tell you what an annoyance the senority policy is. One has to grant preferential scheduling to the employees that have been around longer. It doesn't matter if you have five years of seniorty or five days, you have to give the senior employees whatever shifts they want. Policies like this lead to some serious acrimony between employees.

Advice to Management

Ditch the Union. Pay people another dollar an hour from the start and increase the frequency of raises for the top performers. Particularly in departments where the turnover is crippling because it takes so long to train replacements. Tweak the attendance point system (being two minutes late should not carry the same penalty as being two hours late, it's just asanine).

A Complete Disappointment.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Dublin, OH

Pros

If you have No Life and want a dead-beat Job with a dead-beat Company, then Meijer is a Great choice.

Cons

The Company does NOT respect or care for its employees. They have a Massive Employee turnover and consider that Normal. So they don't want to fix the problem. The Company has No respect for Work-Life Balance and expects you to dedicate your life 24 hrs/day, 7 days/week to them.

Advice to Management

If you don't care for your people; your people won't care for you. You WILL crash and burn very quickly. Follow Wal-Mart and you will soon be just as Unpopular.

8. Hard work, but fair.

Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Warehouse Clerk in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the warehouse keeps you fit. Friendly management if you don't ask for too much. Lots of independence in the work environment.

Cons

Don't plan on working there forever. Hiring contracts keep getting worse. Good stepping stone though.

9. Cashier

Pros

Very flexible & fun people to work iwht

Cons

Strikeout system is very strict

10. An okay place to work if you want to sit around all day.

Current Employee - Cashier in Homer Glen, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Homer Glen, IL

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the gas station just outside the store. The work environment is friendly and the training is fairly comprehensive.

Cons

Unfortunately, everything else about the company is pretty lackadaisical . Raises are generated via the number of hours worked, not the quality of work, so there is little incentive to push yourself as an employee other than to avoid getting fired. On that note: you can skip work without calling in over 3 times without getting fired because of their ridiculous point system. My job (cashier) payed minimum wage. The management is unmotivated and doesn't follow the rules put down for the rest of the staff, and neither do half of the employees for that matter.

11. Greeters

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Meijer cashiers are generally college students and most of they care about the consumer.

Cons

Greeters need to be trained in customer service. Most of them just stand at the door and ignore you as you enter the store.

Advice to Management

Hire me!

Showing 998 of 1,009 reviews