Melaleuca Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.7

Melaleuca President and CEO Frank L. VanderSloot
Frank L. VanderSloot

Pros
  • 80 of free products every month (in 8 reviews)

• The only pro was the free product check every month (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not consistent in what they say they will do (in 5 reviews)

• Frank (CEO) thrives on chaos, everything flows through Frank, LOW PAY (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

For Idaho Falls Lifers

I worked at Melaleuca

Pros

Many employee benefits. Product check, great insurance, on site day care and gym, fairly good balance between work and the rest of your life. And there are a lot of great people who work there.

Cons

If you are not a Frank Vandersloot, Idaho Falls loyalist and lifer you probably won't stay for too long (you will want to move on or they will want you to move on.) Many career paths are highly ambiguous and loaded with politics.

Melaleuca is a great company in Idaho Falls. Not many people have heard of you outside of Idaho though, so calm down and stop acting as if you are the most important people and company on the face of the earth.

Independent Marketing Representative, Director 3

Current Employee - Independent Marketing Representative, Director III  in  San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Marketing Representative, Director III in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flex-time
    Work at our own pace
    Unlimited residual income potential, if you apply yourself and work hard
    Great support teams from headquarters, leadership trainings, promotions, customer service

Cons

It is very hard to build your own business unless you have a strong partner to hold you accountable.
    If you really want to make bigger checks, you need to attend regular business leadership meetings and be applying the 7 critical steps which Melaleuca promotes on a daily basis.
    You constantly have to be enrolling new customers under you to keep your residual checks coming. Customers cancel overtime for various reasons so you always need to be looking for new customers interested in going green and/or the business.

My only advice to Management is to take away the forced monthly shopping at 35 points minimum. I believe I would have a lot more customers if they did not have to commit to buying Melaleuca products on a monthly basis. Although I have no problem storing products in my shopping cart which I need on a monthly basis, others do not operate that way and are turned off by the monthly commitment. I know that affects the residual checks but maybe when customers do shop at their own pace, they might even place bigger orders than just the 35 point minimum requirement.

Great Company to work for, great benefits

I have been working at Melaleuca

Pros

Excellent tuition reimbursement program. Excellent longevity bonuses. Very family-oriented environment. Employees opinion matters, and can make a difference. Great way to earn money while going to school. Nothing really negative to say.

Cons

Pay is average. Hard to promote within company unless occasion comes up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard Sell, hidden information, slanted truths

Former Employee - "Independent Marketing Executive"  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - "Independent Marketing Executive" in Rochester, NY

I worked at Melaleuca full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can make a lot of money if a person knows how to close someone and how to answer a question without giving too much information.

Cons

Not for everyone, you can do everything they train to do and still not able to close a person.

Don't lie to people, tell them that they need to work and devote all their time to the practice. Tell them upfront they must attend meetings, do it your way or the highway, not allowed to make their own websites must pay for a website from the company, not allowed to market on a video, or trade shows, career fairs, swap meets, or flea markets. Let people know prior to joining, that they are not allowed to use Melalueca's name, products, or pictures to refer people. Basically untie the marketers hands. It is too hard to get people to enroll when they learn their hands are tied, must attend meetings, and work all day and night in order to keep enrolling more product advisers. They say they are not a MLM, however it is worse, with not being able to distribute the products you have less avenues to get others to want to participate. Some executives tell you, "you do not need to involve family or friends and you can do it from your computer." With this said you have to be deceptive and advertise shady job postings. They allow some people to advertise at flea markets and not others. It depends on how well you get along with your Organization leader, basically do not argue, keep your mouth shut and do it their way. It may just be what ever organization you are with; however, I have seen the same "talk and phrases", amongst other independent "marketers", "product advisers" and others in the business. Company needs to remove the amount needing to be purchased monthly and the back up order.
    You are not your own Boss! You must compile to get ahead in this company. They are not allowed to tell you upfront that it is Melaleuca products because of the bad reputation. STOP LYING to people! The CEO mentions honesty, and integrity; however, no one is around to enforce the integrity of the independent marketers.

Great experience, great employees. IT is hard work, but worth it.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Melaleuca full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fairly good compensation for the area, fantastic health care starting 2014, IT is fast paced but listened to.

Cons

Moving deadlines, unrealistic expectations (at times), slow moving.

Give more decision power to direct supervisors and even director level. Almost all decisions have to come down from the top (C-Level). Managers, Directors, and even V.P.s are afraid of C-Level management; won't say "no" or push back. I think upper management has great ideas and views, but the disconnect creates some dissonance.

Good starting place, but employees are undervalued

I have been working at Melaleuca

Pros

Low stress environment for employees

Cons

Low pay and employees are undervalued.

N/A

Worst experience of my life!

Former Employee - French Customer Service  in  Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - French Customer Service in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free products every month. I did like the company picnic during the summer. Incentives to perform well (but it was a bait and switch)
    That's it!

Cons

Month end was a 14 hour day at your computer being pushed to take as many calls as possible. Calls were screened and nit picked by management. Received praise for being best at something and then told I was fired a few days later because I had logged into my computer late by 1 min. 3 times in the last year.

I worked very hard every day and proved time and again that I was a great employee. But then I was let go without any help. I was promised that I could switch schedules to work part time during the school year and full time in the summer. After the first summer I was not allowed to switch back to part time and had to work 40+ hours while going to school full time. Management also knew that my wife was 8 months pregnant when they let me go. So my advise would be don't pretend to care about your employees, just treat us with some respect.

Good starter job

I worked at Melaleuca full-time

Pros

Experience, Good team environment, comfortable work space

Cons

Upper management, no room to grow, no independent decision making

Independent Marketing Executive

Current Employee - Director V  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director V in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time for less than a year

Pros

Independently developing your own business

Cons

perceived as a MLM and difficult sell

It's alright for Rexburg

Former Employee - French Customer Service  in  Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - French Customer Service in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a great opportunity to earn above minimum wage in Rexburg, which is a difficult place to find work.
    I loved being able to grow my French and customer service skills.

Cons

It's difficult in any job to sit and answer calls all day
    I didn't like the constant review process of grading my phone calls and making sure I hit all sales pitches

Consider creating greater upside for college students to continue working with Melaleuca, like giving them access to corporate jobs or moving them up management more quickly and offering better benefits and a higher salary. The amount of time and energy that is wasted on training employees and watching them leave is difficult for this company's success.

Worked for Melaleuca? Contribute to the Community!