Melaleuca

Updated November 20, 2014
3.9

Melaleuca President and CEO Frank L. VanderSloot
Frank L. VanderSloot

Pros
  • Nice work environment, IT dept allows compressed work weeks (allowing every other Friday off) (in 8 reviews)

• Free product each month saves on regular purchases (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not consistent in what they say they will do (in 6 reviews)

• Frank (CEO) thrives on chaos, everything flows through Frank, LOW PAY (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience, great employees. IT is hard work, but worth it.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly good compensation for the area, fantastic health care starting 2014, IT is fast paced but listened to.

Cons

Moving deadlines, unrealistic expectations (at times), slow moving.

Give more decision power to direct supervisors and even director level. Almost all decisions have to come down from the top (C-Level). Managers, Directors, and even V.P.s are afraid of C-Level management; won't say "no" or push back. I think upper management has great ideas and views, but the disconnect creates some dissonance.

Worst experience of my life!

Former Employee - French Customer Service in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free products every month. I did like the company picnic during the summer. Incentives to perform well (but it was a bait and switch)
    That's it!

Cons

Month end was a 14 hour day at your computer being pushed to take as many calls as possible. Calls were screened and nit picked by management. Received praise for being best at something and then told I was fired a few days later because I had logged into my computer late by 1 min. 3 times in the last year.

I worked very hard every day and proved time and again that I was a great employee. But then I was let go without any help. I was promised that I could switch schedules to work part time during the school year and full time in the summer. After the first summer I was not allowed to switch back to part time and had to work 40+ hours while going to school full time. Management also knew that my wife was 8 months pregnant when they let me go. So my advise would be don't pretend to care about your employees, just treat us with some respect.

Good starting place, but employees are undervalued

I have been working at Melaleuca

Pros

Low stress environment for employees

Cons

Low pay and employees are undervalued.

N/A

Good starter job

I worked at Melaleuca full-time

Pros

Experience, Good team environment, comfortable work space

Cons

Upper management, no room to grow, no independent decision making

It's alright for Rexburg

Former Employee - French Customer Service in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a great opportunity to earn above minimum wage in Rexburg, which is a difficult place to find work.
    I loved being able to grow my French and customer service skills.

Cons

It's difficult in any job to sit and answer calls all day
    I didn't like the constant review process of grading my phone calls and making sure I hit all sales pitches

Consider creating greater upside for college students to continue working with Melaleuca, like giving them access to corporate jobs or moving them up management more quickly and offering better benefits and a higher salary. The amount of time and energy that is wasted on training employees and watching them leave is difficult for this company's success.

Squeeze you for everything you've got

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Idaho Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Idaho Falls, ID

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Average pay for the area, but this is also misleading

Cons

Take advantage of salaried employees including 6-7 day a week work schedules, hold onto your bonuses that you've earned according to their programs for up to 1+ year, very MORMON company that makes it difficult for non-Mormons or LDS to get ahead.

Treat your employees fairly

Independent Marketing Executive

Current Employee - Director V in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director V in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Independently developing your own business

Cons

perceived as a MLM and difficult sell

Real Opportunity

Current Employee - Independent Marketing Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Marketing Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

After 25 years working in a traditional Corporate job (for and with F500 companies), I'd had enough! While I earned high six figure income, it came with a tremendous price...time with my family. I was looking for an authentic business with the following requirements: 1) Set my own Hours, 2) Be my own Boss, 3) Earn over $100K annually. I looked at 7-8 "Home Based Businesses" and found they did not follow simple principles we use in a profitable corporate environment. Melaleuca does! I've changed our families' life, gotten time back and my kids do not remember that I ever did not work at home!

Cons

There's no hype at Melaleuca. It's a real business with real work. You are paid fairly and equally. Not everyone has the skill set or the willingness to learn and grow. This business will expose your personal weaknesses and you get to choose to grow or stagnate.

Keep doing what your doing.

Exceptional company and products

Current Employee - Independent Marketing Executive in Laramie, WY
    Current Employee - Independent Marketing Executive in Laramie, WY

I have been working at Melaleuca part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When my mother told me about Melaleuca years ago her purpose was to replace the unsafe cleaning products in our home with safe products. For the past twenty five years we have enjoyed all of the exceptional products made by Melaleuca. I especially like that Melaleuca products are all non-toxic , they use natural ingredients and I've noticed that none of the products require safety caps. Our family enjoys peace of mind because we now have not only safe products in our home, but they are at a savings over the cost of most grocery store brands.

Cons

I find little that I would consider a negative.

Management is working hard and expect employees to work hard also.

Great Company with Room For Improvement

I worked at Melaleuca full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a company with benefits, this is the company for you. Matched 401K, Insurance rates, competitive pay, loyalty bonuses --- all great reasons to be with Melaleuca. Not to mention, the job environment is with friendly people who are generally, pretty successful at what they do. The benefits of having a gym in the office, cafeteria (payroll deducted) and day care on site, is a huge advantage for those with families. Frank Vandersloot is a one of a kind leader who you can honestly tell cares about his company and the internal culture within. I remember him calling an official mandatory meeting so that he could address his concerns. Not many CEO's take that opportunity and that is why Melaleuca is different.

Cons

The only reason I didn't give this a 4-star was because the cons outweigh the pros. I spent multiple years at Melaleuca in both their Rexburg Call Center and Home Office. Many people find success in Melaleuca, but there is a definite inner-political environment there. The talent that is available, not to mention the cost saving opportunity that internal promotion creates, is often overlooked. If you look at the company now, I'd say that those who graduated from BYU-Idaho specifically, tend to try to stay 1-3 years to find internal promotional opportunities. Yes, at times, talent is found outside of the company, but it is much easier to train someone in a position, than to have to train and find someone who fits with your culture. If you look around LinkedIn or other sources, you can notice the talent that Melaleuca has passed on by the careers that people are developing outside of the Melabubble as some might call it. Inevitably, you are always going to find employees who leave for better jobs or opportunities, however, I felt that Melaleuca lost a lot of talent because instead of looking to promote within, they are looking outside. There is talent out there, but you are going to have to work twice as hard to find someone who believes in the company as much as the tenured employees do.

Continue surveying your employees. Once every two years isn't enough. They need to be anonymous surveys because your employees fear that they will be exploited if they are too forward or upfront. I did hear insurance changed from when I was there and that should be a number one priority to keep low while other employers raise it.