Melbourne Business School

Be The First To
Add Photos

Excellet

I worked at Melbourne Business School

ProsExcellent support and commaderie. Free snacks is a plus!

ConsWork culture is a little on the boring side.

Something needs to change if the rankings position is going to improve, start innovating!

Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Melbourne Business School full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat academics who are some of the best in their fields in Australia, pleasant working environment, learning potential, bright students who are committed to maintaining the schools premium local brand.

ConsToxic environment with very little collaboration between professional staff. The other reviewers summed it up well, a finger pointing, bullet dodging, blame orientated culture. Over the last 12 months the staff turnover has been very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and adopt a collaborative, supportive work environment.

business school needs internal review

I worked at Melbourne Business School for more than 5 years

Prosgood student mix, premium brand recognition in Australia, great location, part of university of Melbourne and now merged with Faculty of Business and Economics so greater choice of subjects and lecturers; great executive education offering

ConsBullying culture which came from previous Dean and has remained in place; not a lot of competence surrounding the current Dean at a senior level; lots of same old same old, not much innovative thinking or acceptance of it; new dean wants students to experience failure but not part of the risk profile of the school, not sure that staff can translate the strategy into outcomes for their divisions

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity to develop cutting edge training

I worked at Melbourne Business School as an intern for less than a year

ProsIndependence, x, x, x, x

Consnothing, x, x, x, x

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organisation and facilities would be greatly appreciated

Could be a great place if leaders could convey a vision and plan for the future

I worked at Melbourne Business School full-time

ProsGood work-life balance. You get to work with some wonderful and very dedicated people. Front-line staff work very hard to deliver a superior service and are very proud of what they achieve. The product (both Executive Education and the MBA) are very well renowned.

If you get "in" with the faculty, they can be an interesting resource. Good salary for a not-for-profit organisation too. Good balance of professional, corporate, and educational work.

Delivery of the products is first class, not to say it can't be improved, but it truly is quite fantastic - this is due to the dedication people put into their jobs.

ConsThe business has been looking for direction for the last 4 or so years and is yet to find it. The new Dean (Zeger) appears to have a stronger vision for the place but it seems to stop at senior management and doesn't cut through to the rest.

Upper echelons are highly political, are not transparent, and work to serve and protect their own positions. They don't seem to engage their staff.

HR is ineffectual - I don't know what they actually do.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people - they are all you have.
Communicate a vision and put forth a plan.
It's not only the vocal ones who have good ideas. Listen!

Big Dichotomy Between Professors (including the dean) and Professional Staff

Carlton (Australia)

I have been working at Melbourne Business School

ProsI think there is a good work-life balance there. There isn't much pressure and working after hours is generally not necessary nor encouraged.

ConsPlace was very poorly managed from the top (the dean has since been replaced, so this may have changed). The culture was very much faculty-first with some of them being the most arrogant unreasonable people you could ever have the bad fortune of working with. The HR department was equally incompetent with the compensation scheme often decided in a post-hoc fashion (HR head has also been removed). My manager and team were great though.

Stimulating

I have been working at Melbourne Business School

ProsGreat people, Great Culture, Great Location.

ConsSomewhat bureaucratic environment, can be slow moving at times

Advice to Senior ManagementTake Ownership of the organization !!

Worked for Melbourne Business School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Melbourne Business School reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Melbourne Business School employees.