Melissa & Doug Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

3.7

Doug Bernstein

Yes, the rumors are true....

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was searching for a new job for about 3 months, working with one of the area’s top recruiters.  She sent me to a bunch of great companies including a couple of the most prestigious firms in Stamford and Greenwich. Those interviews were exactly what you’d expect. In each case, I was asked a bunch of routine questions, I talked about my resume, and everyone tried to guess (me included) if I’d be a good fit. I didn’t get a chance to get a real feel for what it would be like to work there.  My recruiter told me about an opening at Melissa & Doug, but I was reluctant to interview because I heard their interview process was a bit out of the ordinary.  Finally I decided to go in and check it out for myself.  And you know what, all the rumors were true, this was one of the most unique interviews I’ve ever experienced.  They even asked me to sing karaoke! They also had me do a lot of brainteasers and answer a lot of questions I had not thought about in a long time.  They kept me busy all day long.  They let me talk with lots of different people, even the CEO spent about 30 minutes with me (at first I didn’t believe he was the CEO, because he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.)   It was a long day, so much happened so fast. When I got home I told my husband it was the most unique interview I ever had.  But I loved it.  It was refreshing, it was real, it was fun, and I felt like I learned a lot about myself and what I wanted to do.  I was excited when they invited me back a second day (I figured they wouldn’t ask me to sing karaoke again!).  They told me they liked what they learned about me the first day, and now they wanted to find out what job would be best for me. I was able to talk with 3 different department heads, and I also sat with a bunch of people in each department and actually worked on some real projects with them.  At first I thought that was odd, but then I realized it was a good way for me to see what it would be like if I worked there, and it also showed them what my approach to things would be. I thought this was a smart way for them (and me) to determine whether or not this match is perfect. At the end of the second day, they offered me a job. I wanted to accept on the spot, but they told me to go home and sleep on it.  The next day I told them yes. Here I am, a couple months later, and I’m loving everything about my new job. The unique interview process really did help Melissa & Doug learn about me, and it helped me learn about them too.  Now that I’m here, I can honestly say, everything about this place is exactly the way I saw it during the interview process.  I like the fact that everyone here is friendly and real.  They’re also very helpful and I can tell they sincerely want me to succeed. I feel comfortable and at home here, and I’ve never felt quite this way about a job before.

Cons

Practice your singing before you come in, because the rumors about karaoke are true!

I love that I can help others while working at Melissa & Doug

Current Employee - Sales/Customer Service  in  Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Sales/Customer Service in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My career has had many incarnations with a similar thread of reaching out to and helping others. I want to feel good about myself at the end of the day. I want to know that in some way that I made a difference. For this very reason, I have worked for Melissa & Doug for 9 years.

I represent a company that goes above and beyond to make amazing toys that make me proud. I'm also encouraged to go above and beyond for every customer I assist rather than sticking to a scripted protocol. Everyday something happens to touch my heart.

I think of the many times that I am on the phone helping a Mom whose child has autism pick out toys to help with therapy. I think of an instance of working with a homecare nurse who uses our toys in her literacy program. I smile when I think of sharing in the joy of a storeowner who calls me to share the news of her long awaited pregnancy.

Because I am able to interact with so many customers from so many walks of life that have become dear friends, my job is so much more than toys!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, I am very happy here

Glad I Made the Move to Melissa & Doug

Current Employee - Sales  in  Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Sales in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

11 years ago I learned about Melissa & Doug while working in sales at a successful sports marketing company. I loved my job and never planned to leave. After meeting people at Melissa & Doug and hearing about their experiences, I decided to make the move. For me, it was a big move. Not only was I leaving a job I enjoyed, but I also knew if this new job worked out, I’d have to move my family because the commute would eventually get old (I lived in Queens, Melissa & Doug is based in Connecticut).

10 years later, I’m still here and I love it. Melissa & Doug is a family oriented company. My wife also works here and has been with Melissa & Doug 8 ½ years. She enjoys the flexible work schedule she was given so she could be home for our 2 boys. My co-workers are my friends and have become like family. These are people I can count on and learn from. I work till 6pm (except Friday when we all leave at 5pm). My nights and weekends are always mine to spend with my family, I’m never asked to take any work home with me.

I’m given lots of training and feedback all the time to help me succeed. With all this training, I’ve become much better at my job, and the company has been very fair about rewarding me for my better performance every year. 10 years ago I was a city boy who lived in a 1 bedroom apartment in Queens and didn’t see my way out. I’m now raising my family in a very nice home I own in Connecticut with enough bedrooms for my kids and an in ground pool. I’m happier than I’ve ever been. Melissa & Doug gave me a great career opportunity and I’m glad I made the move 10 years ago.

Cons

Cons: Sometimes I wish I could travel to some cool destinations as part of my job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The product is excellent: well-made educational toys

Cons

sweatshop environment. no access to internet. No emailing or marketing to customers - all telephone for 10 hour days. No room to grow. During my tenure there was not 1 promotion.

2 Things

1. It is wrong to train your sales executives to overship products, then try to convince them to keep it when they have made repeated requests to have it picked up

There are 60 of us who have been working here for 10+ years, here's why

Current Employee - Account Manager Supreme  in  Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Account Manager Supreme in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I wanted to chime in and add to the comments recently posted on this site and I’d like to include myself in this conversation. In 1996, when I joined the company, there were 6 of us working out of the basement of Melissa and Doug’s house. Our product line consisted of 20 puzzles at the time. Today, I am very proud to say I am one of 250 people working in our CT office selling over 2000 different toys. I have been part of the success and witnessed incredible growth at an amazing company, today one of the largest in the toy industry.

I am not an owner or a vice president or any sort of manager at Melissa & Doug. I am an account executive. I love what I do, I love my customers, I love the products we make, and I love all the friends I’ve made here. I also love the fact I am NEVER asked to take work home with me, I work hard during the day, and my nights and weekends are mine to spend with my family.

A fact I think is very telling is that of the 6 employees who were at Melissa & Doug when I started 18 years ago, five are still working here. Just to give you some more perspective on the longevity of employees - The person over my cube wall has been here 15 years, one behind me 17 years, twenty feet from me is one of the originals from 18 years ago. And after 26 yrs, both owners still work the full day every day and one of them sits about 50 feet away from me, at a long desk, not hidden away in an office. About 60 people in our Wilton office have been here more than 10 years. I think that says something about us as a group and a company. There is a reason so many people stay so long. It is both fulfilling as a job and an enjoyable and rewarding place to work.

As a company, I think of us as an amazing Patchwork Quilt cut out of really cool pieces of fabric. On our own we are individual sections of fabric with our own unique characteristics. Put us together in a way that every individual piece is put in the right spot next to another with every design just right and the most amazing quilt is made. That is our company.

We have a hard working environment and that should not be a surprise to anyone. You cannot have a company with growth like this or be part of a team like this if people did not step up and work hard. This is an evolving story that is truly very cool. The group of people here are incredibly diverse in their backgrounds and skill sets. Many of my coworkers have become my closest friends. I have told many people over the years that I think the people I work with no matter what their position or department are the best at what they do. That goes back to the interview process, it’s very grueling, but it’s designed to find the best of the best and the people most likely to contribute to our success for many years.

I have to laugh when I read some of the comments from disgruntled interview candidates. I happen to sit very close to the area where most of the candidates sit when they come interview. I’ve met pretty much every person who has interviewed here, and I always make it a point to say hello. I’ve watched as some of them have struggled with the interview day, and I am never surprised when I see a negative comment they write the very next day. That’s OK, not every job is made for everyone.

18 years ago my interview was in the driveway at Melissa and Doug’s house which they moved into the day before, sitting on fold-up lawn chairs, so it’s a bit different now. Your interview day will be one filled with many different parts to give you and us the most open and comprehensive way to learn about each other.

Like I said, I am not an owner or even a VP. I am one of 60 employees who have been in this office 10 years or more - for me, it's actually 18 years! I have no agenda at all, other than letting you know there are always two sides to every story, and if you want to form your own opinion, you should come in and check things out for yourself. Nothing is hidden at this place, everything takes place in the open, so it will be very easy for you to make up your own mind rather than having someone else try to make it up for you.

Cons

Not every job is made for everyone

I am an 18 year veteran, and I'd never want to work anyplace else!

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Wilton, CT
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Wilton, CT

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My name is Lisa and I am an 18-year veteran of Melissa & Doug working in the customer service department. I thought it would be helpful for me to add my perspective to this discussion since I’ve been here so many years. While the culture and environment is not right for everybody, for some people, including myself, it’s the ONLY place I’d ever want to work. Our workplace is energetic, fun, friendly, supportive, family-like and successful. When I come to the office, I feel like I’m home. Although I often hear it critiqued, I’m a big fan of the interview process they have at Melissa & Doug. It’s such an open and honest interview, it allows both the company and candidate to get to know one another in a totally transparent manner, so both sides can determine if this is a good match or not. (Isn’t that what an interview should be all about?) Yes, the workday is long, but the pace is fast and steady and the work is challenging and rewarding, and the lack of politics or game-playing makes it so I go home feeling great every day (that’s something my friends at other companies can’t always say). My personal opinion is that anyone thinking about working here should come in and check things out for themselves, rather than relying on what they read from others who have not flourished in this environment. It will be very easy for you to determine for yourself whether or not this place is right for you. Like many of us who have been here 10 or more years (and there are a lot of us in that group), you might love it here and want to call it home for a very long time.

Cons

The hours may be lengthy for some lifestyles

Run, don't walk

Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales Support  in  Wilton, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Sales Support in Wilton, CT

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, casual dress code (you could wear pajama bottoms and bunny slippers and nobody would bat an eye), great coworkers

Cons

Hours: 8-6 Mon-Th, 8-5 Fri with 30-minute lunch break. Extreme micromanaging for micromanaging's sake only. Customer service reps can take 150-200 calls a day, have to provide administrative support to multiple salespeople, are also expected to make calls for new prospects. We didn't have email at our desks...you had to wait until a break in calls (note the numbers above) to run to an area where there was a cluster of computers with email/internet access. Big Brother is ALWAYS watching.

You hire exceptional people and then grind them into the ground. You think that's the best way to squeeze every drop of productivity, but you're wrong.

Painful

Former Employee - Inside Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Melissa & Doug full-time for more than a year

Pros

They make a great product. Melissa personally puts her heart and soul into the making of the products. Well thought out, safe, reasonably priced toys. Some great people work there(all trying to figure a way out), discounts on toys...product really is great. They pay well, if you have the proof to back it up. In other words they will ask to see your W2's from preceding years to get a baseline for your pay.

You don't take your work home with you. No one gets fired unless you really want to be...they will work with you to get the most out of you. That being said, they will work you until the cows come home. There is this illusion of a friendly atmosphere but in reality it is a very stressful atmosphere. Never have I worked in an environment that was so manipulative and personally destructive...oh wait I'm sorry this is to be the "Pros."

Cons

Where to begin. Manipulation is the name of the game. They manipulate both the employee and the client. The interview process was bizarre and it takes days. You are constantly monitored. I certainly understand a good work ethic, but you are accountable for every second of the day. I was once told that I had taken 35min for lunch three days in a row, not the allowed 30, but 35....they will measure your time on the phone, in between calls, how long you were on a individual call...did that call make money...they will listen to your calls...they will instant message you about the call you are on (they call it training). They will critique everything you do you will get called out in the daily morning meeting. They will tell you one minute that you are helping people that do not know how to run their business to be more profitable and then have you manipulate them into buying more or keeping something that the customer didn't really want. Some managers, not all, are little weasels that must have had a rough trip through HS, others were nice guys, some are two faced.

Then there is the child like antics that go on...It's like Jr. High, foul language, loud outburst, incredibly loud music, so called tier 1 veterans acting like 16 y/o idiots on a daily basis. I never saw so much back stabbing as I did there...everyone one talks about everyone behind their backs. I cold go on, but I think the picture has been painted.

I have no advise, I happily do not work there anymore.

Open enviroment, clear and reasonable goals and communication

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no surprises and no guessing. Questions are encouraged and answers given. From the interview process through hiring and every day in the office, expectations are clearly communicated, and a general shared drive for success is established. Common goals and interests are shared making it easy to work with everyone; everyone works hard and wants the Company to succeed. No one slacks, making the hard work bearable and even enjoyable!

Cons

Dont work here if you arent ready to pull your weight and work hard. A lot of the hard work effort is lost in larger corporations. While the Company is still growing, the small business feel is maintained when everyone gets involved in lots of different areas. You may be asked to do something not within your job specs, but many people like this, so may not be a "con" at all!

There may not be room for "growth" in terms of title movement, but that doesnt mean the opportunity to do something different or gain more responsibility isnt there. Prove yourself and you will gain more chances to do more!

Continue with open lines of communication. Employees like to know what is going on and what lies ahead! You work hard and that makes us want to work hard too!

Pleased to be part of such a great Company

I have been working at Melissa & Doug full-time for less than a year

Pros

Open and fun environment, everyone works very hard together. People have a great time, and live by the work hard play hard motto! This is a secure company and with the right mix of people.

Cons

For many the days are long, 8-6 is the standard work day. But for the right match - modifications to that standard day can be made. Also personal time isn't part of the package. Part of the work hard motto is leave the personal stuff at home... While a "standard practice" at many companies, it isn't always enforced. At M&D it is a pretty strict and enforced policy.

Keep open dialogue - this is one of the best things in the Company, but employees want to know more! Also allowing for a bit more balance, i.e. allowing employees to check personal emails etc. during the day during their break time would be great!

Worked for Melissa & Doug? Contribute to the Community!