Mellanox Reviews

Mellanox Chairman, President, and CEO Eyal Waldman
Eyal Waldman

1. Manager

I worked at Mellanox full-time

Pros

Very talented people to work with. Plenty of opportunities to work on. Semi-transparent management.

Cons

Management is all from IL

Worst company I have ever worked for. I have never seen so many broken bits in my life.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Mellanox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They do pay your salary, the check does not bounce. But they have this sales pay plan where part of it is impossible to get. They call it focus revenue. The focus revenue conveniently comes out at zero every quarter.
    They have health insurance to cover you for the stress.

Cons

The technology is very buggy and features don't work. I have never seen so many broken bits in my life.
    Based in Israel and they are clearly in charge and the Americans get the fun of being the company grunts.
    They accept no feedback on how to do things differently.
    It's like being in the military, just keep your mouth shut and take orders.
    They give you no training, you must learn on your own.
    They have all these ridiculous initiatives that go nowhere. CloudX and Open Ethernet to name a couple.
    The whole Ethernet switching effort is laughable.
    The turnover there is massive.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO. I mean come on, you can't even be late to a meeting if you have to use the bathroom? That's extreme. I've never heard a CEO make such a ridiculous comment in my life at a sales conference.

Long hours, average pay, you can do better elsewhere....

I worked at Mellanox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The technology is good for the HPC market and they have some bright ASIC engineers in Israel.

Cons

Get ready to work at least 60 hours a week including nights and weekends. Management has no regard for work/life balance, you're expected to make the company as important (i.e. 'more important') than your family. If you're not Israeli you won't be treated the same, you'll always be on the outside looking in. (read the positive reviews - they're all Israeli's but the US employees have negative experience) The benefits and compensation are just average, below other offers in most cases. You can't disagree with mgmt. or you'll be fired (or at least limit your career).

Advice to Management

Exec mgmt. needs to stop giving themselves excessive stock awards and recognize/reward the people in the middle that do the work. More attention needs to be given to respect cultural differences and the team in Israel (70% of the company) should recognize that not everyone views the company equally important as their 'real' family.

Most dehumanizing tech company

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mellanox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mellanox is a place where if you learn well on your own and learn well being thrown from fire to fire in the most chaotic way imaginable then you will learn tons. Admittedly most of the learning will come from your clients correcting you. In Mellanox the quality of the clients you work for is much larger than that of the company itself.

Cons

Less than negative work life balance. Management is encouraged to "push" employees to their "limits". This is literally in a management guide I came across in their grossly disorganized public folders and directories. Employee burnout is at an all time maximum during my time there. The turn over makes it so trying to bring anyone into the fold is a nightmare. Middle management is completely untrained and in most cases vicious. The effort/pay ratio is swung in the wrong direction.

Culture is cliquish and in many cases racist if you are not Israeli unless you see nothing wrong with an army of Israeli middle managers that do nothing (and know less than their employees) pushing on American engineers to work insane hours... as they tell you so from a chat room at home.

If you are not a financial company (Goldman, BOA, Chase) or a high end tech company (Facebook, Apple) then prepare to be given the run around by sales and support. Might wanna run a few good tests on that 56gb link to see that it truly is not 56gb, not even close. They sell on speed at the expense of features on top of that. Most features are actively developed using select customers as beta testers.

Zero reward for hard work. If you attempt to game the system to work as little as possible you will receive in the end the exact same amount as if you put your heart and soul into what you are doing. This while managers talk endlessly about treating employees as family. I would hate to have dinner at their houses.

Advice to Management

You will never keep good talent under your hood as long as you treat people the way you do.

6. Field Application Engineer

I worked at Mellanox full-time

Pros

Stock has had a good run - nice profit from stock options.
    Opportunity to learn a lot and experience leading edge networking technologies.

Cons

Unreasonable amount of work hours, including late into the night and weekends.

Advice to Management

mid-level management is not being trained - you cannot expect an engineer who is promoted to be a manager, to do a good job managing. Train your managers!

7. interesting environment

I worked at Mellanox

Pros

They have some pretty cool products for Computer Networking. High tech company out of the Israel Silicon Valley. There are a lot of hard-working people there.

Cons

They have a diverse array of Network Adapters and switches for both InfiniBand and Ethernet, but there 'really' is only room for Ethernet in the market. InfiniBand will probably go away with the next generation of 100Gb Ethernet. They work you around the clock.

Micromanaged

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Mellanox full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One star for the good pay & benefits

Cons

- Very boring work atmosphere - completely quiet in the rows of cubicles with lots of older workers who kept to themselves
    - Micromanaged - had to tell my boss when I was leaving the office each day & there was no flexibility in work schedule; hard work was not appreciated or recognized
    - No training set up to learn about the company's product offering; you had to teach yourself on the spot and people were unwilling to help

Good experience - Company needs new attitude

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mellanox full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Good pay
    Good benefits
    Cutting edge technology in InfiniBand

Cons

Job security is ZERO. I was warned NEVER to show up late for anything - no excuses - on my 2nd day on the job. This did not pose a problem for me, but I received the warning numerous times.

At the time that I worked there, Mellanox was trying to break into the Ethernet market. Compared to their competition, they had a very immature product, and were competing exclusively on a price/port basis. This is OK if what the customer is looking for conforms exactly to what Mellanox has to offer, but otherwise, will be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Stop behaving like a bunch of bullys. Have a DIALOGUE with the people that work for you, and you might learn something, that will make you all more successful.

10. nice

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Yokanbli (Liberia)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Yokanbli (Liberia)

I have been working at Mellanox

Pros

good company with lot to learn and competitve enviroment at all levels..

Cons

almost non exept the long work hours and the the stress of work but al in all that does not matter that much

11. If you have to work, take mellanox

I have been working at Mellanox

Pros

you can join with no exp

Cons

no way to develop too

Mellanox Photos