Melmark

Be The First To
Add Photos

Melmark President & CEO Joanne Gillis-Donovan

Joanne Gillis-Donovan

Wonderfully rewarding place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClients, Educational opportunities, Beautiful campus

ConsI cannot think of anything.

Good

Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) Berwyn, PA

ProsMulticultural training grand for all...

ConsA place to learn and personal development.....

I'll Be Here Forever

Education Staff (Current Employee) Berwyn, PA

Pros- Team-oriented atmosphere
    - Lots of reinforcement and incentives from organization (gift cards, Christmas bonus, staff appreciation events)
    - Excellent staff
    - Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of folks who really need it

Cons- Dealing with challenging behaviors
    - High rate of staff turnover
    - Lack of space for activities

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing. Keep up the advocacy and keep hiring good people. Work on retaining the staff who are doing their best. I look forward to the new space that the planned mansion expansion project will afford in the coming years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs a Union, Lawyer Or Something!

ProsGood EAP. Rewarding working. Benefits. Good short term employment.

ConsAppears to favor staff under the age of 40. Appears to push out those with seniority and to demote people. Restructuring may be a financial necessity but Melmark uses it as an excuse to push out seasoned staff!
    Fire's easily, and bad turn over rate. Maintains and works toward improving offices while programs serving clients are suffering.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff are afraid to tell you what they think or feel. If you don't care about that then at least stop pretending you do.

Wear tennis shoes

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Berwyn, PA

ProsHealth Benefits
    PTO
    Thanksgiving Gift Card
    Birthday Gift CArd

ConsCommunication within some programs on campus

Horrendous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Berwyn, PA

ProsThe clients were the only aspect of the job that made it worth going into work!

ConsPoor management structure partly due to existing nepotism! At first the structure and work place seemed great, but as this quickly faded. Atmosphere quickly changed to feel as though working in a Big Brother setting. Change over of staff exceeds any place previously worked in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with following up with all incidents that reflect lack of client care-not just those that suit management criteria.

Job Not a Career

Applied Behavioral Analysis Counselor (Former Employee) Berwyn, PA

ProsMelmark has an excellent reputation within the educational community. The work they do there is indispensable. You can get hired with little experience as long as you have a strong educational background or a strong desire to work with developmentally disabled people. Salary begins relatively high. Most employees and management are younger making it a possibility to move up quicker than other companies. Melmark is a great step up forward for your career.

ConsStaff injury is a daily occurrence, if you can get over that there are still more cons to consider. If you work in Residential you have to work a double (7am-11pm) once a week, and it's usually Saturday or a Sunday. The staff tend to have cliques. If you aren't in the "in crowd" your day can be even more difficult. Counselors are expected to be very detailed and almost error-free, but the management is messy and disorganized themselves. Everybody is overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't stop by for a visit, instead work a full shift or two to know what it's really like. Eliminate the doubles so we can do our job properly.

Worked for Melmark? Contribute to the Community!