Meltwater Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meltwater Group Founder & CEO Jorn Lyseggen

Jorn Lyseggen

Pros:
  • "You get to learn a lot about different industries and meet a lot of interesting people"
    in 5 reviews
  • "It's a fast-paced and hands-on way to learn the basics of sales and negotiation"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines"
    in 4 reviews
  • "EXTREMELY high pressure, with little or no support from management"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A place where you will develop beyond what you've expected

Managing Director (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat environment, supportive colleagues and higher-ups, opportunities are given to the ones that are seeking them out. I came here straight out of grad school, started to work in sales - something I've never imagined I will do before - and loved t ever since. Have been here for 5 years, seen people succeed and move on to other amazing opportunities, and I think most people who were able to succeed here, learned many skills that will make them successful in other jobs.

ConsSales is not for everyone. Some people might not have the right expectations when joining or the manager is not doing enough to set the expectations.

Best sales training

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExcellent sales training
    Excellent culture and work environment
    international career opportunities

ConsPrivate company so changes are made pretty quickly which can be both good and bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot enough women in top management

Cult like

Business Consultant (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat Software, awesome group of coworkers that came in with me

Consvery cult like
    sexual harassment from both male and female managers in Boston
    Unsafe after work drinking
    no time to tweak software or prospect for new clients, all of that had to be done at nights and on weekends
    Bad leadership, just cause you sell a lot, doesn't mean you can manage other

Advice to Senior ManagementPut managers through leadership training
    drop the cult like thing
    Not everything has to be done the way they do it in Sweden

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No training, lack of leadership or strategic vision, felt like a shell game.

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe employee base is very international. That was interesting.

ConsThe employees are provided with virtually no training. Because most come right out of college, they have no reference point for how to do things other than what they learn at Meltwater, and what they learn at Meltwater is far from best practices. There is rampant sexual harrassment, inappropriate relationships between executives and subordinates, and a general environment that felt like a cross between a youth hostel and a fraternity party. It was the least satisfying work experience of my career. I would not recommend Meltwater to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in professional management, get the management team in one place, get a real Board in place. Impose some discipline and accountability on your executive team.

Great Place for training and development

ProsFast paced development environment
    Young fun work environment
    Great job right out of college to get experience

ConsCompensation could be more competitive
    Very long hours

High Stress Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to meet and work with some great people

ConsPromotion is purely based on sales record, not whether the person will actually be a good manager so you generally don't end up with good ones.

Meltwater provides an incredible amount of responsibility and autonomy to individuals while providing support as needed.

ProsLots of room to grow, develop, and take on leadership role. Strong culture.

ConsSort of expected to spend a lot of time outside of work hours with co-workers.

Has its ups and downs

ProsA lot of independence in terms of how you manage your clients. You create and implement your own strategies in managing clients and solving problems. Culture is great! I love the people I work with and like the constant buzz in the office. Very high energy.

ConsHIGH EXPECTATIONS. Unrealistic at times. Heavy workload, too many clients per person to truly address and satisfy client needs. Too many managers making unrealistic promises to powers of b. Had a great bonus structure, changes to bonus benchmarks have reduced this severely.

Advice to Senior ManagementI get it, change is a good thing, but not when it happens every three months. People have bills to pay, and forecasting your bonus based on salary structure is a huge part of that. Stop changing payment structure overnight. Give employees a heads up so they can plan accordingly. FYI Consulting companies have employees work on 1 to 2 projects at a time, truly getting to know them and addressing their issues. Having 100+ clients with multiple issues makes it impossible to be a consultant to them, and that is fine, but don't keep peddling this "you're consultants" crap, we're a sales company, with some account relations on the side. Embrace it.

Fact-paced environment, great for developing business knowledge across many industries

San Francisco, CA

ProsFast growing company with a solid market share. The company will invest in your potential and support you to grow. Strong sales culture and team mentality.

ConsGoals are ambitious and can be hard to attain. Can have high-turnover associated with a sales focused organization

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management could do a better job at being more transparent.

Boiler room style sales department with no concern for the client's best interest

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Prosuncapped commissions, quick movement upwards with the company.

ConsIf you don't drink the cool-aid, you won't enjoy working there. They have a boiler room high stress level environment for sales in which you are pressured and bullied into closing the deal at any and all costs. They use bully tactics in order to pressure the client to sign the contract without giving them a chance to even review the contract or the automatic renewal policies. After the client has been signed on and their contract is close to its renewal date, the Account Executive is not allowed to contact the client until their subscription has be automatically renewed so that the client cannot get out of the contract!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're losing clients and money with this style of sales. The Account Executive's primary purpose should be to develop a relationship with the client, so that the client purchase more products based on trust and value from the AE, not out of fear and bullying.

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meltwater Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meltwater Group CEO Jorn Lyseggen . All 88 reviews posted anonymously by Meltwater Group employees.