Meltwater Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meltwater Group Founder & CEO Jorn Lyseggen

Jorn Lyseggen

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about different industries and meet a lot of interesting people(in 5 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced and hands-on way to learn the basics of sales and negotiation(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours/a lot of work events(in 4 reviews)

• Poor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines(in 4 reviews)

Exciting, young, global company with a lot of potential for growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI really appreciate how genuine and smart everyone here is. The people are what make this company great. It is a very international group who are down to earth, hardworking, ambitious, fun, and passionate about what they do. The company is headed towards big things and it's been very exciting to be here for the ride.

ConsThe company grew so fast that it still operates at times as a big start-up. Internal communication across cities and countries could be improved, along with investing more in central functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith so much potential for future growth, make sure to not forget to maintain our strong culture along the way.

Great Culture and Amazing Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI am a reasonably new employee to the San Francisco office and I'm very impressed. When I was interviewing I was captivated by the culture and smart people I met - and the job I was interviewing for seemed not only interesting but also challenging. Employees are friendly and welcoming and there's an incredible culture of hard work and drive to succeed and employees seem to have the correct level of autonomy to get their jobs done!

ConsThe office is very crowded and loud at times.

Great place for self motivated, driven sales people!

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMeltwater hires sales associates right out of their undergraduate degree and gives them a chance to cut their teeth within the sales organization. Solid training, good mentorship. Great benefits and comp plan. Fun environment in a company that has great momentum.

ConsMeltwater isn't the place for people that need a lot of hand holding or cheap props, but then, no sales organization is made for these type of people. There is some turnover, but it's the nature of the a sales organization that hires people right out of their undergraduate degree. Sales isn't for everyone -- but this place gives you a shot at being in sales with no prior experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MBuzz Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity to grow, if you can make sales

ConsVery hard to make sales

Great initial sales training, but prepare to be overworked and micromanged

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros1. This is a great opportunity for someone to learn the sales process from the ground up. It's a fast-paced and hands-on way to learn the basics of sales and negotiation. The people that will be teaching you are good at what they do and have a lot of sales-related knowledge to pass along in a short amount of time.
    2. There is the opportunity to earn A LOT of extra money, if you and your team are hitting quota.
    3. The job will make you appreciate any job you have in the future.

Cons1. Your experience at Meltwater will depend heavily on who your manager is, and how experienced he/she is at managing others. If you end up with a manager who is less experienced, be prepared to be micromanaged. I found that managers who have been there for a shorter amount of time tend to be more centered on achieving their personal sales goals, as opposed to helping achieving their team/office goals.
    2. Expect to have very little work/life balance. Unless you are hitting quota, there is not much appreciation put into the work you are doing. You will work the minimum 8 hours per day in the office down to the minute, and be expected to work multiple hours per day outside of the office.
    3. You might not be totally comfortable with the way you are told to sell something, or how you end up closing a deal. There is a certain pushiness to the sales tactics that might make you feel like you are not doing the moral thing, this of course is dependent upon the type of person you are.
    4. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the atmosphere is "cult-like" but there is a definite persuasion to love, live and breathe everything that is Meltwater.

Overall, if you want to learn the sales process and have no previous sales training, this is a great company to spend a few months at, but don't count on it being long-term, as you'll most likely be burnt out before you can succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be some sort of feedback system for how employees are working with their office managers. Since most managers are promoted based on sales, and given no additional training a to how to manage, this often puts their subordinates in uncomfortable and unfair situations, with no senior management to speak to about it.
    Try to improve the work/life balance, or else you are going to burn out every employee that walks through the door.

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt pays the bills and has good benefits.

ConsHires and fires. The company provides very little to no training and creates an unfounded high-pressure atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain Managers to teach and encourage the recent-grad employees instead of intimidate. Managers are inexperienced and lack the tactics to provide positive feedback and motivate to sell. Instead they use scare tactics and create a highly hostile environment.

Great First Job

MReach Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYoung people, Fun environment, Great sales training

ConsNo management, Very few resources, not great pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers!

fast paced, high stress, low reward work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFast paced, high energy environment.

ConsNo recognition for your work.
    Highly sales driven company, doesn't value any other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink, before randomly taking action. Stop promoting yes men.

Horrible experience, weird people, but it gave me a paycheck while I looked for other jobs

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI graduated during the recession and they gave me a job to put on my resume and a paycheck while I sought out a job in my industry

ConsWhere do I start?

1). Upper management is a joke since the company promotes on the "Peter Principle" of promoting employees based on sales records than on their ability to actually manage people or a team.
    2). HR department was just getting organized when I left, but when I was there, it was a distaster. Huge HR issue over the "annual" company kickoff wasn't handled at all and solidified my decision to leave the company. (
    3). If you work here, prepare for your co-workers to be your "best friends!" There is literally a cult-like atmosphere where you are expected to hang out with co-workers in all of your spare time. If you don't, you don't fit in with the company culture and are going against the "company values."
    4). Tons of high school-like office gossip.
    5). No work/life balance- if you left the office on-time or a littler after the regular 5/5:30 time, you were stared down.
    6). They'll tell you in their "intense" interview process that the "Meltwater Group Scam" that pops up when you google them is not true at all and it's one disgruntled employee, but don't believe a word of it. The blog was written when the company had first come to the US and as far as I can tell, nothing has improved with the company since.
    7). If you read this review and you're still considering working here, ask someone at Meltwater what the turnover rate is like- you're not only competing with other companies, you compete within your own team and office because there aren't enough qualified leads in the pipeline.
    8). They've been saying for two years they're "about to go public" but it hasn't happened yet.

But hey, if all of those things sound fun to you and you like cults, then Meltwater is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere was a guy in my office who was awesome to work with and should have been promoted to a sales manager because he understood people- quite promoting people based on ability to sell rather than ability to manage and maybe the company would actually start heading in the right direction.

Hated the cult-like atmosphere

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe pay wasn't bad since they gave you a base salary before commission.

ConsConstantly expected to spend free time with co-workers (If you don't go to all the after-hour activities, then you are seen as not a team player.
    A lot of work expected to be completed at home since you are expected to spend all your time in the office on the phone.
    Constant pressure to find and call personal numbers of potential clients to "trick" them into talking to us.
    Managing Directors and Sales Managers are not experienced, and don't know how to properly lead people.
    Turnover of employees in offices was very high while I worked there, with many people only staying a few months.

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!