Meltwater Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meltwater Group Founder & CEO Jorn Lyseggen

Jorn Lyseggen

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about different industries and meet a lot of interesting people(in 5 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced and hands-on way to learn the basics of sales and negotiation(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours/a lot of work events(in 4 reviews)

• Poor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines(in 4 reviews)

One of the best decisions of my life!

ProsWorking at Meltwater has given me the support, freedom, and network to experience business at a level most college graduates do not get the chance to right out of school. Every time I became comfortable in a position I was then asked to step up, putting me out of my comfort zone again to learn new skills. It is an exciting and challenging (but supportive) work environment where you will find colleagues who become lifelong friends.

ConsThe career paths are mostly in sales or account management/leadership. Meltwater is still learning and growing outside of sales and account manager positions but it is happening. You have to WANT to work hard and be intrinsically motivated to succeed at Meltwater. It helps to have a passion for

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication can never be too much. 401k matching would be a stellar addition to the great benefits package we have!

awesome

Prosgreat work environment. music playing. fun coworkers. always a great time. good commission

Conslong hours. takes a lot of work. sometimes you hit slumps but you make up for them

Advice to Senior Managementraise base salary

Learned a lot about sales that should be helpful in my career.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a good place if you're a beginning sales person and have a lot of time to devote to your career. You can learn a lot from your colleagues and from the nature of the work, but it can be intense and demanding.

ConsPoor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore objectivity in how you treat your employees, better work-life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

just ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyoung team
    very motivated
    CEO is really good with people and you can learn alot from him

Conscult of personality towards CEO
    the CEO makes every decision , people wait for weeks to have Jorn come into town and tell them what to do

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

Pros-amazing people
    -great training ground for sales
    -fantastic company culture

Cons-typical downside of sales jobs - high stress, potential long hours

Advice to Senior Management-create more opportunities within the company outside the management track

Outstanding culture, great annual kickoffs, truly global company, great CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCasual informal work environment mostly influenced by european culture specifically Scandinavian. Mid-size company with a startup feel when I used to work there, high energy, great diversity - there are people from all across the globe because it has presence in every continent. Great annual retreats for the entire company - not just the top management.
    All products are developed with a global mindset

ConsNeed high energy to thrive. Not for the weak at heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Awesome opportunity to learn, grow and make money

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGiven a lot of responsibility from day one, uncapped commissions, fun work environment, great mobility

ConsLong hours/a lot of work events

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure everyone knows they are important

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI worked at Meltwater for 2 years out of college. While it seems like it can be intense, I can say the training and learning that occurred during those two years set me up for the rest of my career. I've now gone to another company and it is very easy to see why anyone who has worked at Meltwater goes on to be extremely successful. It instills in you a work ethic that is second to none, while also developing key communication and business skills that simply cannot be achieved with most companies out there in the same time period. Also, it is very much like a family. Most of my best friends still work or did work for Meltwater, and we all still keep in touch. Every person I know that has gone on to another opportunity has far exceeded expectations compared to others. Fast paced, opportunity to make tons of money at a young age ($100,000 is very achievable at 23/24 years old - while some even made $200,000 or $300,000+ in their early to mid twenties). However, in order to do this - you must be very trainable and willing to give in to suggestions or management from people potentially younger than you. Can be a tough pill to swallow, but if you can - the rewards can be great.

Cons-110% at all times
    -Salary is non negotiable
    -Month to month quota can prove to be very stressful - especially if you don't hit a couple in a row
    -Young management means some bad decisions and people thinking they are more important than what they are
    -Not a good fit if you aren't early in your career

Advice to Senior Management-Kickoff is really key to contact with most of management because most managers "won't let" you reach out to other managers without their thumbs up. This can inhibit growth of individuals because of the small bubble each office is.
    -More training/help/standardization to processes and sales methodology
    -Get Salesforce - half of the technical issues are with your own CRM system which really hurts productivity

fun place to start your career but expect favoritism

Account Manager (Former Employee)

Prosa lot of opportunity for growth if the right people like you, and definitely not boring.
    coworkers are an interesting and diverse bunch.

Conspolitics are extreme here. if the right people like you, you can get away with anything you want- if they don't- nothing is ever good enough.

Advice to Senior Managementreward hard work, not charisma

Good Sales Organization

Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSales Training was great with the organization

ConsUpper management does not want to change

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!