Meltwater Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Meltwater Group Founder & CEO Jorn Lyseggen

Jorn Lyseggen

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about different industries and meet a lot of interesting people(in 5 reviews)

• It's a fast-paced and hands-on way to learn the basics of sales and negotiation(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours/a lot of work events(in 4 reviews)

• Poor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines(in 4 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI worked at Meltwater for 2 years out of college. While it seems like it can be intense, I can say the training and learning that occurred during those two years set me up for the rest of my career. I've now gone to another company and it is very easy to see why anyone who has worked at Meltwater goes on to be extremely successful. It instills in you a work ethic that is second to none, while also developing key communication and business skills that simply cannot be achieved with most companies out there in the same time period. Also, it is very much like a family. Most of my best friends still work or did work for Meltwater, and we all still keep in touch. Every person I know that has gone on to another opportunity has far exceeded expectations compared to others. Fast paced, opportunity to make tons of money at a young age ($100,000 is very achievable at 23/24 years old - while some even made $200,000 or $300,000+ in their early to mid twenties). However, in order to do this - you must be very trainable and willing to give in to suggestions or management from people potentially younger than you. Can be a tough pill to swallow, but if you can - the rewards can be great.

Cons-110% at all times
    -Salary is non negotiable
    -Month to month quota can prove to be very stressful - especially if you don't hit a couple in a row
    -Young management means some bad decisions and people thinking they are more important than what they are
    -Not a good fit if you aren't early in your career

Advice to Senior Management-Kickoff is really key to contact with most of management because most managers "won't let" you reach out to other managers without their thumbs up. This can inhibit growth of individuals because of the small bubble each office is.
    -More training/help/standardization to processes and sales methodology
    -Get Salesforce - half of the technical issues are with your own CRM system which really hurts productivity

Learned a lot about sales that should be helpful in my career.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a good place if you're a beginning sales person and have a lot of time to devote to your career. You can learn a lot from your colleagues and from the nature of the work, but it can be intense and demanding.

ConsPoor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore objectivity in how you treat your employees, better work-life balance.

Outstanding culture, great annual kickoffs, truly global company, great CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCasual informal work environment mostly influenced by european culture specifically Scandinavian. Mid-size company with a startup feel when I used to work there, high energy, great diversity - there are people from all across the globe because it has presence in every continent. Great annual retreats for the entire company - not just the top management.
    All products are developed with a global mindset

ConsNeed high energy to thrive. Not for the weak at heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Sales Organization

Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSales Training was great with the organization

ConsUpper management does not want to change

A place where you will develop beyond what you've expected

Managing Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat environment, supportive colleagues and higher-ups, opportunities are given to the ones that are seeking them out. I came here straight out of grad school, started to work in sales - something I've never imagined I will do before - and loved t ever since. Have been here for 5 years, seen people succeed and move on to other amazing opportunities, and I think most people who were able to succeed here, learned many skills that will make them successful in other jobs.

ConsSales is not for everyone. Some people might not have the right expectations when joining or the manager is not doing enough to set the expectations.

No training, lack of leadership or strategic vision, felt like a shell game.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe employee base is very international. That was interesting.

ConsThe employees are provided with virtually no training. Because most come right out of college, they have no reference point for how to do things other than what they learn at Meltwater, and what they learn at Meltwater is far from best practices. There is rampant sexual harrassment, inappropriate relationships between executives and subordinates, and a general environment that felt like a cross between a youth hostel and a fraternity party. It was the least satisfying work experience of my career. I would not recommend Meltwater to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in professional management, get the management team in one place, get a real Board in place. Impose some discipline and accountability on your executive team.

Fact-paced environment, great for developing business knowledge across many industries

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFast growing company with a solid market share. The company will invest in your potential and support you to grow. Strong sales culture and team mentality.

ConsGoals are ambitious and can be hard to attain. Can have high-turnover associated with a sales focused organization

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management could do a better job at being more transparent.

Boiler room style sales department with no concern for the client's best interest

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosuncapped commissions, quick movement upwards with the company.

ConsIf you don't drink the cool-aid, you won't enjoy working there. They have a boiler room high stress level environment for sales in which you are pressured and bullied into closing the deal at any and all costs. They use bully tactics in order to pressure the client to sign the contract without giving them a chance to even review the contract or the automatic renewal policies. After the client has been signed on and their contract is close to its renewal date, the Account Executive is not allowed to contact the client until their subscription has be automatically renewed so that the client cannot get out of the contract!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're losing clients and money with this style of sales. The Account Executive's primary purpose should be to develop a relationship with the client, so that the client purchase more products based on trust and value from the AE, not out of fear and bullying.

Exciting, young, global company with a lot of potential for growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI really appreciate how genuine and smart everyone here is. The people are what make this company great. It is a very international group who are down to earth, hardworking, ambitious, fun, and passionate about what they do. The company is headed towards big things and it's been very exciting to be here for the ride.

ConsThe company grew so fast that it still operates at times as a big start-up. Internal communication across cities and countries could be improved, along with investing more in central functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith so much potential for future growth, make sure to not forget to maintain our strong culture along the way.

Great Culture and Amazing Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI am a reasonably new employee to the San Francisco office and I'm very impressed. When I was interviewing I was captivated by the culture and smart people I met - and the job I was interviewing for seemed not only interesting but also challenging. Employees are friendly and welcoming and there's an incredible culture of hard work and drive to succeed and employees seem to have the correct level of autonomy to get their jobs done!

ConsThe office is very crowded and loud at times.

Worked for Meltwater Group? Contribute to the Community!