Meltwater Group

Updated February 23, 2015
3.3

Meltwater Group Founder & CEO Jorn Lyseggen
Jorn Lyseggen

Pros
  • You get to learn a lot about different industries and meet a lot of interesting people (in 5 reviews)

• Given a lot of responsibility from day one, uncapped commissions, fun work environment, great mobility (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance doesn't really exist (in 5 reviews)

• Long hours/a lot of work events (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Opportunities you can't get anywhere else

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture is very fun and supportive. Compensation and time-off policies are very good. Lots of opportunities, if you put the work in your can pretty much do whatever you want. Work internationally? Management? Marketing? Sales? It's all within reach as Meltwater will focus on your potential, rather than your past experiences.

Cons

It's a very fast moving company, if you don't like change, it might not be for you.

Keep up the good work, continue to focus on people development!

Top-notch sales training, inspiring culture and tons of upward mobility

Current Employee - Client Acquisition in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Acquisition in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constant investment in culture and high standards for recruitment mean you're always surrounded by high-performing individuals. Quotas are easily attained and top performers are met with very strong, uncapped compensation.

Cons

From day one you'll have the opportunity to manage the entire sales process while learning about all different industries, but this is a fast-paced and growing company so come prepared to work hard.

Don't make any sacrifices in the name of growth. Keep with the high standards for people and promotions and continue to invest in the product.

Continue providing training and development to future leaders to ensure they're equipped and prepared.

Pawn to managers and area directors. Absolutely zero work/life balance

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture was good, but not good enough to make up for the negative aspects

Cons

Every single day was stressful. Micromanaging management style was unbearable. Felt like management was against you rather than trying to help you learn and succeed.

Sales success does not make a person a good manager. These are 2 completely different attributes.

No training, lack of leadership, no respect for non-sales employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater Group full-time

Pros

International employee base, helpful human resources department and snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

If you're looking for organized, well trained leadership with an attention to career development, this is not the place for you. Management is promoted from within with no experience or training, so you get twenty-somethings a year or two removed from college just winging it when it comes to managing their employees. Promotion is purely based on record, not whether the person will actually be a good manager so you don't end up with a good one. Be prepared to be micromanaged.

And if you're not a sales employee beware - they do not care about you. You will see sales reps getting invited to private parties at the CEO's home, going on long trips to other offices, free perks and so on, while you are designated to a forgotten corner of the office. You're constantly told you need to drink the kool-aid and fit in to this so-called amazing "culture" (which is actually cult-like and breeds sexual harassment) yet unless you are in sales, you don't get to experience any of the perks of this "culture."

The pay is horrible and the turn-over is ridiculous - yet they just don't care because there are always new grads fresh out of college that they can exploit. It was the least satisfying work experience of my career. I would not recommend Meltwater to anyone.

Hire better managers who are trained to actually manage people and aren't just good at hitting quotas. Value your employees as people not robots.

Inspiring and fun place to work!

Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great share of responsibility, your voice is being heard, great career opportunities, getting more and more professional

Cons

Sometimes unclear what the future vision of the company is and how each and every employee can contribute to that higher goal

Learned a lot about sales that should be helpful in my career.

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a good place if you're a beginning sales person and have a lot of time to devote to your career. You can learn a lot from your colleagues and from the nature of the work, but it can be intense and demanding.

Cons

Poor work-life balance and a lot of stress, tight deadlines.

More objectivity in how you treat your employees, better work-life balance.

Outstanding culture, great annual kickoffs, truly global company, great CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual informal work environment mostly influenced by european culture specifically Scandinavian. Mid-size company with a startup feel when I used to work there, high energy, great diversity - there are people from all across the globe because it has presence in every continent. Great annual retreats for the entire company - not just the top management.
    All products are developed with a global mindset

Cons

Need high energy to thrive. Not for the weak at heart.

Keep up the good work

Sales Consultant

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at Meltwater for 2 years out of college. While it seems like it can be intense, I can say the training and learning that occurred during those two years set me up for the rest of my career. I've now gone to another company and it is very easy to see why anyone who has worked at Meltwater goes on to be extremely successful. It instills in you a work ethic that is second to none, while also developing key communication and business skills that simply cannot be achieved with most companies out there in the same time period. Also, it is very much like a family. Most of my best friends still work or did work for Meltwater, and we all still keep in touch. Every person I know that has gone on to another opportunity has far exceeded expectations compared to others. Fast paced, opportunity to make tons of money at a young age ($100,000 is very achievable at 23/24 years old - while some even made $200,000 or $300,000+ in their early to mid twenties). However, in order to do this - you must be very trainable and willing to give in to suggestions or management from people potentially younger than you. Can be a tough pill to swallow, but if you can - the rewards can be great.

Cons

-110% at all times
    -Salary is non negotiable
    -Month to month quota can prove to be very stressful - especially if you don't hit a couple in a row
    -Young management means some bad decisions and people thinking they are more important than what they are
    -Not a good fit if you aren't early in your career

-Kickoff is really key to contact with most of management because most managers "won't let" you reach out to other managers without their thumbs up. This can inhibit growth of individuals because of the small bubble each office is.
    -More training/help/standardization to processes and sales methodology
    -Get Salesforce - half of the technical issues are with your own CRM system which really hurts productivity

Good Sales Organization

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Meltwater Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sales Training was great with the organization

Cons

Upper management does not want to change

A place where you will develop beyond what you've expected

Current Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, supportive colleagues and higher-ups, opportunities are given to the ones that are seeking them out. I came here straight out of grad school, started to work in sales - something I've never imagined I will do before - and loved t ever since. Have been here for 5 years, seen people succeed and move on to other amazing opportunities, and I think most people who were able to succeed here, learned many skills that will make them successful in other jobs.

Cons

Sales is not for everyone. Some people might not have the right expectations when joining or the manager is not doing enough to set the expectations.