Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs

Updated August 8, 2014
2.6

Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs Interim CEO Mike Scialdone
Mike Scialdone

Working at Memorial has been an adventure to say the least, however the teamwork is phenomenal.

I have been working at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs (more than 5 years)

Pros

The teamwork and flexibility certain units have.

Cons

Turmoil the hospital has been in over the last 7 years.

Get to know who your employees are, and take the time to actually listen to them and give kudos where they belong. Get rid of the dead wood.

Wow what a cluster!!

I have been working at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

there isn't one thing professional about this place!

Cons

upper ( and I am talking about SLT) management

WAKE UP!!!!

I there for 12 years- Saw a lot of change some for the good and some of the bad.

Former Employee - Biomed Tech II in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Biomed Tech II in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and work environment and my co-workers and the nurses and doctors I knew.

Cons

Senior management change too often, the culture changed a lot when we were leased from UC Heath in Denver.

None to think of.

Not many opportunities to advance

Current Employee - Interpreter in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement, time-off, medical/dental benefits

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance professionally

No longer a good place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None that I can think of now. Everything has went downhill in the last 5 years. Used to be a great employer, now it's not. So no Pros at all.

Cons

Management turnover has been insane, and will continue to be insane, because University of Colorado--UCHealth--is poorly managed (They bought/leased Memorial). Memorial has been poorly managed for the last 5 or 6 years, but there was a lot of hope when UCHealth came in and bought us.

Unfortunately, that hope was misplaced. As an organization, we have been losing money for the last 7 years. UCHealth came in and put in emergency cost-cutting procedures. But then they lost their CEO, and now they are fumbling for what to do. Everything is disorganized and LOSING money. Just look up Memorial articles the local papers (Gazette and the Independent) and you will see all of the financial issues.

The reason for these issues is because of poor management and also because of very low morale. I have been a full-time employee here for over 10 years, and I would NOT bring my family here for care. Trust me on this, care here has gotten very poor. Nurse morale is way down.

Most of the causes for these issues can be narrowed down to mismanagement, executives who don't know what they are doing, and way way way too much middle management. Lots of middle managers need to be shown the door.

Also, the entire Memorial organization is very oudated when it comes to computers. Most of the staff does NOT know how to work a computer, and our IT (formerly called IS) department doesn't know either. Many of the computer programs still run very outdated Windows versions and many even still use DOS for their programs. Basically they have not updated their technical infrastructure since 1987. I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I do think that this may change with UCHealth coming in, but seriously?!

HR is a joke and have no idea how modern companies are supposed to be run.

Our CEO and CFO recently got fired, on the SAME day with no notice! That pretty much sums up how bad things are. The new CEO, George Hayes, won't be here for long either. His wife didn't even move here, so most employees think that he'll be on the job for only a year or two at the most. (it's 2014 as I write this.)

By the way, in the last 6 years, we have been through four CEOS. yeah, 4 in six years. That's how crazy it is. And the current one won't be here long either--he doesn't even live here in town.

Stop forcing employees read and sign presentations that talk about how pay and bonuses are bad for moral. A bonus is NOT bad for moral. But management is trying to get people to think that.

Also, hold middle management and upper management accountable. IF THE EMPLOYEE SATISFACTION SCORES REFLECT THAT THEIR EMPLOYER IS A TIER 3 BOSS, THEN FIRE THEM. (Tier 3 is bad in our employee satisfaction survey)

"I don't pay you to think."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here . . I don't have any.

Cons

Indecisive and inexperienced leadership installed by friends, a "good ole' boy" mentality, and a human resources department that just seems to turn a blind eye makes this place nightmarish.

Rash, knee-jerk decisions devalue a strong, highly committed and caring clinical staff.

Many ego-driven physicians seem to hold administrative directors by the nose, pushing them to make decisions damaging to the hospital brand and its seeming, pie-in-the-sky mission in light of leaky pipes, half empty cafeteria shelves and hoodlum-esque valet.

I'm out of ideas.

The best company I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Memorial Hospital has some awesome benefits, including competitive pay (which increases as needed with standard of living increase), great 403a accounts with Memorial matching up to 3% of contributions, great health insurance (free high deductible plan for the employee and their entire family), an employee gym, a discounted daycare that is run by Memorial, great paid time off, and the chance for many bonuses.

I believe that management creates a positive/encouraging environment and there is plenty of communication coming from upper management.

In my specific office, I am blessed with great co-workers, providers, and managers.

Cons

There has been lots of change, and sometimes people have felt insecure about it. So far, I feel like all the changes have been for the better and I do not know of anyone who has been negatively affected by them. But there still are times when it feels like we're on shaky ground.

Keep up the communication about any changes and keep the focus on rewarding the great employees.

Worst place ever! Incompetence reins!

Former Employee - IT Tech Support in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - IT Tech Support in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good hardworking co-workers that try to make a difference.

Cons

The stupidity that runs rampant in that place. Please don't have more than a double digit IQ or you wont fit in here. Common Sense or logic will never be tolerated, if u are stupid and and a "yes" person with no integrity, maybe this is a the place for you.

Scrap it and start over. Get rid of all the old timers who have no vision past their sense of entitlement and whining. Hire middle management that has some smarts and backbone.

Great health care with a dysfunctional, demoralized pharmacy department

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good intra-departmental teamwork; senior management really trying to improve organization approach to health care; patient-centered focus; most employees genuinely care about their work and the successful healing of patients.

Cons

Pharmacy management turnover was excessive; pharmacist and technician input not valued; pharmacy employees retained regardless of the extensive documentation of their poor skills and poor attitude; managers espousing one set of values and acting contrary to those values; exceptionally poor morale throughout the department.

Listen to and retain your top performers; manage your weak performers so that they contribute meanfully or are no longer welcome to work.

A very toxic and negative work environment whose attitude is "your lucky to have a job."

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Memorial Hospital of Colorado Springs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's conveniently located with onsite parking and is a healthcare institution. Also has a great cafeteria. The fellow employees are fun to work with.

Cons

The workers are treated unfairly with no advocate in the system especially human resources. You ALWAYS have to watch your back because supervisors spend a great deal of time trying to catch you doing something wrong - like talking with a fellow employee. The stalking is unnerving and unnecessary because the employees I worked with were competent in their jobs. They want no one to have a life outside of their walls.

Stop the computer based trainings regarding the hospital's philosophy that no raises are good and that no one working there should be money motivated. It's a method of brain washing where you have to give them the "correct" answers to pass and they can show documentation "proving" that the employees don't mind not getting raises.