Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson

Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year(in 18 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in New York City is very expensive(in 6 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases(in 5 reviews)

Great place to work!

Research Technician (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are very smart and dedicated people. The research is always striving to be the best. The benefits are great.

ConsAs with many academic institutions, there are some egos involved. The cafeteria options could also be a little more expansive

Great Hospital- Terrible IT

PC/Mac Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent Hospital system as I've been told. Many oportunities

ConsSupervisors are unprofessional, breeding an unprofessional atmosphere. No direct path for career advancement. A lot of required OT. Menial tasks

Advice to Senior ManagementHire and invest from Within. As a manager do not take things personally. Train and promote employees.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRespected by staff, benefits were great including tuition reimbursement. You feel like you are a part of something important and making a difference in the world. You get to work with experts in their field.

ConsOnly reason I left was because this was not a field I wanted to stay in. Private drug companies pay more I think for similar data management/ auditing positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Memorial Sloan Kettering was a rewarding one.

Physician Office Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe hospital environment is top notch. As a POA you felt like you were making a difference and often times the patients feel the same. You feel a great deal of satisfaction in this position. Also, the benefits are great.

ConsThere was not much room for professional growth.

Comfortable place to cut your teeth

Bioinformatics Technician (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFor a tech it's a pretty low-stress position and you learn a lot in the first year or two. Lot's of brilliant people. Health benefits are great.

ConsPay is average for a technician, which is low by most industry standards. Pretty bureaucratic so if you want to do anything you find yourself running around from person to person or filling out far too much paperwork.

Advice to Senior Managementconsolidate the management, invest in building a community by getting to know people, BUILD A GYM

Ok Until You Ask For a Promotion

ProsExcellent benefits, great salary, stable environment, friendly co-workers

ConsDepending on the Dept. you're in, it's very hard to land a promotion both within and outside of your Dept. Supervisors tend to hold people back and people of color (as hardworking and qualified as they are) don't move up at the same rate as people of non-color. There is blantant favortism and suttle racism. Oftentimes, you end up leaving the organization for outside opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone fairly and equally. Promote people based on their merits--hard work and qualifications--not on the basis of how much they smile or suck up to management.

incredible environment, but changes are needed

Prosgreat coworkers, incredible opportunity to advance your knowledge of healthcare and the many aspects of working in the healthcare setting. strong support from colleagues, peers and other professionals in your clinical setting

Consmanagement often looses touch with staff, doesn't understand the complexities day-to-day flow. tend to harp on same issues for longer than necessary, take too long addressing current issues.

Great place to work!

ProsReally values its employees and has great benefits! MSK provided so much support for all of its employees that were affected by Hurricane Sandy - I never would have expected that from an employer!

ConsThere are not that many cons - it really is a great place to work!

Great Company to Work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, very professional, great location

ConsExpect a lot, which can be a good thing!

So so place

ProsBenefits, hours, good people, overall ok

ConsTech transfer office needs complete revamping

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in making it a better, more productive place - departments are too siloed

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!