Memorial Sloan Kettering

Employer Engaged

202 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Head and Shoulders Above Other Medical Centers How They Treat Staff

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can tell the management sincerely cares about the staff. The staff can actually speak openly about concerns and receive responses from the top. Staff speak openly in Town Halls. MSK doesn't pull sudden mass layoffs with guards escorting employees out. They follow the 3-warnings system to help a lagging employee improve (including training and classes) before a dismissal. You are never yelled at or publicly embarrassed in front of your colleagues. It feels like working at a prestigious university, with educated ,decent people. When a company actually keeps their word and treats all employees with respect, that is huge. I have worked at medical centers which state "no layoffs, you are our Family!" in a Town Hall, then implement "job restructurings" which can't be openly spoken about when you notice your coworkers vanished.

Cons

With the honorable way MSK treats their staff, no one leaves (and they don't try to figure out sneaky ways to push out the older workers). So there is no where to advance, no career paths or growth. Pay is on the low end, but they did give a 3% cost of living to everyone this year. And they announced that 3% to all staff with all the details in a transparent broadcast email. Pay is not comparable to other medical centers, but you are also treated much better.

As MSK grows, keep promoting from within first so we can all eventually advance. Can a review be performed of the salaries and living in NYC? Keep up the great work with the new Tri-State locations and the ads on TV and subways sharing our expertise with the public.

Intellectually stimulating job with opportunities for growth and great benefits

Current Employee - Research Study Assistant I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Study Assistant I in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (less than a year)

Pros

time-off policies, direct patient contact, opportunity for intellectual growth, prestige of company, great benefits, clear tracks to promotion, work/life balance, supportive environment

Cons

Hospitals are always open so new employees should prepare to work around the holidays (ie day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve), no paid sick leave in first few months, opportunity for overtime pay varies greatly by department and service

MSKCC is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of benefits, a lot of interesting talks and free events to go to, technicians get overtime

Cons

Challenging; expectations for your work is high but that's necessarily a bad thing!

Could be paid more!

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (psychology)

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to learn from successful researchers in the field (e.g., grant writing); prestigious reputation to put on your resume/CV; livable salary (includes subsidized employee housing option)

Cons

Competitive culture; expectations are that everyone will continue in academia/research (with little acknowledgement that academic positions are harder and harder to find); little to no clinical training; as with any place, the quality of mentorship and postdocs' satisfaction/happiness with their mentor varies

Great Reputation; management needs work

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Management need to let go of the power battle they fight

Be compliant!!!

Employment Coordinator

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator/Junior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator/Junior Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Opportunities to learn about different policy and procedures within various department in HR.

Cons

Not many areas for growth, also not giving your the opportunity to expand your knowledge and take risk. Does not acknowledge your potential of do more and bringing forth great ideas in order grow.

Depending on the department you are employed.it can be a wonderful experience where there is the possibility of you mot leaving the organization. Where as, some department make the working environment hostile. These people are not respectable towards you or your and often leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth. I know everyone has different personalities but a person or people who are bitter makes going to work a heart ache. When management does nothing to curb the hostility. I do not expect to become best friends with my coworker but I do expect respect with the people I spend over eight hours with.. However, this does not pertain to the entire of HR Division

A very good place to work and work for.

Current Employee - Assistant Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people who work here know that they are working for a cancer center which gives a sense of pride in the institution. This translates into a work environment that is friendly and self driven. Memorial is also very good to their employees with top notch benefits like tuition reimbursement and adoption assistance on top of the standard benefits of health insurance and retirement.

Cons

It's in New York City so everything around it is expensive.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Great!

Former Employee - Session Assistant II in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Session Assistant II in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Salary/ Great benefits/ Nice people to work with, very friendly.

Cons

Its hard to get in, need to know someone to get in.- No room for advancement in this position

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Study Assistant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Study Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, personal growth and seminars for advancement

Cons

The distance from the subway is pretty far...not really, but still.

great place to work

Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits and great environment to work for.
    office culture and company values are better than most cancer research hospitals

Cons

there are not that many cons to describe except the fact that cost of living in New York City is just expensive. Subway monthly card and expensive parking. Housing is a big issue in NYC overall.

Adept the cutting-edge technologies to compete with other institutions not just neighboring hospitals.

Memorial Sloan Kettering Photos