Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Updated December 18, 2014
3.9

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • good benefits and great environment to work for (in 17 reviews)

• Great Salary/ Great benefits/ Nice people to work with, very friendly (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High cost of living in new york city (in 8 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

183 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Hospital to work and staff members are great.

Current Employee - Data Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Pros

The company offers training for staff to enhances your skill.

Cons

MSKCC offer excellent benefit for employees and their families, and great salary packages.

Managers are great they have an open door policy.

Research Study Assistant

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employers there was very nice and professional.

Cons

Not so much cons from my interview.

Give others with less experience a chance for self-growth.

phd student

Current Employee - Student in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Student in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

professional, good science, good stipend, good benefit

Cons

not very academia, not excelent in basic science

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant IV in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant IV in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the benefits are awesome from MSK

Cons

there is room to grow, but in some instances it is about who you know.

qualified people are not hired due to a lack of degree which is why the turnaround for POA is so high. maybe consider people that may not have the degree but has the experience needed. after all you do offer tuition reimbursement which may help that person obtain the desired degree.

HR

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with intelligent, passionate and dedicated people. I had the opportunity to take on various roles outside my specific job responsibility and the ability to grow professionally.

In addition:
    - great work/life balance
    -many different career opportunities
    -great compensation/benefits

Cons

I have no cons. I think every company has things that you work through, this company included, but the pros make up for it.

Not easy to move up

Former Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers that I became friends with.
    Good first job experience.
    Great if you want to go back to school. Some positions have a lot of flexibility and even a 4 day work week.

Cons

After POA or SA, there isn't much room to go up. Practice Leader is all about who you know. You can interview until you are blue in the face, but they still won't hire you, they may hire someone that has 1 yr experience versus your 5. It doesn't make sense. There needs to be clearer expectations and not based on who you know, what fashion you were or how blonde your hair is.

Head and Shoulders Above Other Medical Centers How They Treat Staff

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can tell the management sincerely cares about the staff. The staff can actually speak openly about concerns and receive responses from the top. Staff speak openly in Town Halls. MSK doesn't pull sudden mass layoffs with guards escorting employees out. They follow the 3-warnings system to help a lagging employee improve (including training and classes) before a dismissal. You are never yelled at or publicly embarrassed in front of your colleagues. It feels like working at a prestigious university, with educated ,decent people. When a company actually keeps their word and treats all employees with respect, that is huge. I have worked at medical centers which state "no layoffs, you are our Family!" in a Town Hall, then implement "job restructurings" which can't be openly spoken about when you notice your coworkers vanished.

Cons

With the honorable way MSK treats their staff, no one leaves (and they don't try to figure out sneaky ways to push out the older workers). So there is no where to advance, no career paths or growth. Pay is on the low end, but they did give a 3% cost of living to everyone this year. And they announced that 3% to all staff with all the details in a transparent broadcast email. Pay is not comparable to other medical centers, but you are also treated much better.

As MSK grows, keep promoting from within first so we can all eventually advance. Can a review be performed of the salaries and living in NYC? Keep up the great work with the new Tri-State locations and the ads on TV and subways sharing our expertise with the public.

Intellectually stimulating job with opportunities for growth and great benefits

Current Employee - Research Study Assistant I in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

time-off policies, direct patient contact, opportunity for intellectual growth, prestige of company, great benefits, clear tracks to promotion, work/life balance, supportive environment

Cons

Hospitals are always open so new employees should prepare to work around the holidays (ie day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve), no paid sick leave in first few months, opportunity for overtime pay varies greatly by department and service

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (psychology)

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to learn from successful researchers in the field (e.g., grant writing); prestigious reputation to put on your resume/CV; livable salary (includes subsidized employee housing option)

Cons

Competitive culture; expectations are that everyone will continue in academia/research (with little acknowledgement that academic positions are harder and harder to find); little to no clinical training; as with any place, the quality of mentorship and postdocs' satisfaction/happiness with their mentor varies

Great Reputation; management needs work

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Management need to let go of the power battle they fight

Be compliant!!!