Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Updated September 26, 2014
3.8

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year (in 20 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in New York City is very expensive (in 6 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

163 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Session Assistant

Current Employee - Session Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great way to meet nice people in your 20s/30s. You learn a lot about cancer care and establish connections with patients. You can't bring work home and are not expected to check your email when you are not at work. They pay for overtime. Great health benefits and plenty of vacation time. Coworkers are helpful.

Cons

Doctors can be moody. I would like to be paid more, seems like the managers demand more and more out of us but our pay stays the same. Your raise is based on a 'performance appraisal' which is a scale of 1-5, it is impossible to get 4s or 5s. You work with a lot of people, when certain people are slackers, you end up picking up their work because at the end of the day everything needs to be scheduled for the patients.

Managers need to balance out the work load better.

Awesome

Current Employee - Phlebotomist  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Terrific benefits at this company.

Cons

Little chance for advancement in my field.

Work/ life balance

Great company, expensive location.

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the research institute doing bioinformatic programming. I guess it all depends on the lab you join more than the company. But many lecture opportunities, pay is good, subsidized housing on roosevelt island is nice and more convenient than you think. Weekly happy with free wine.

Cons

Expensive parking so prepare to take subway, about 15-20 minute walk to subway. Security in building so be prepared to wear name tag everywhere and check in but this is now the norm in NYC.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place for cancer research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, plenty of scientific lectures/seminars and social activities

Cons

Competitive, big difference in culture from lab to lab

an exciting place for researchers

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

great labs, prestigious PIs; exciting projects; front-runners of many fields including cancer biology and immunology; sufficient funding; great facility; diverse career development opportunities

Cons

competitive. work can be challenging some times. expect long work hours (well postdocs all do everywhere)

Hope to work at the MSKCC again!

Former Employee - Visiting Investigator  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visiting Investigator in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

High impact work, love my coworkers. It's a product that is changing the world. Best cancer center.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

Respectful, Courteous, Loyal, Helpful, Wonderful experience working for them

Current Employee - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

I am an independent contractor providing services as needed to them. I am still getting jobs from them.
    They have always been wonderful with me and my company and associates that show up to perform the services.

Cons

I have no cons to report other than the lady that I worked for for the last 20 odd years has just left
    to work in Texas so I hope that her replacement is as nice as she was!

Please carry on the great footsteps of the lady that I worked for at Sloan Kettering!

POA Feedback

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits , work life initiatives, tuition reimbursement

Cons

I can only comment on the department I work in. We have had 7 employees quit or move on in the 2 years I have been here. Management in the department of medicine is atrocious - no accountability for when managers do something wrong or make a mistake. Anything that happens they always try to blame someone for it.

communication needs to be way better, POA's have no say in work assignments/load, POA's are overworked and underpaid for the amount of work done, no significant raise unless you are here for three years.

"#1 Cancer Research Hospital for a reason"

Current Employee - Senior Research Technician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is an overall very professional atmosphere here at MSK. There is constant encouragement of individual career advancement.

Cons

I suppose that with many organizations there exists some level of bureaucracy, and this institution has some of it.

Have faith in your employees. Go easy on the micro-managing.

Great place to grow

Former Employee - Research Study Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

Surrounded by the best in the field

Cons

Tough commute into the city.

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Photos

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!