Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews

Reset
4.2
Memorial Sloan Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • Very nice environment to work in and very nice people to work with (in 17 reviews)

• MSKCC is known for having great benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High cost of living in new york city (in 8 reviews)

• there are not that many cons to describe except the fact that cost of living in New York City is just expensive (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Fantastic organization to start a career in healthcare.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Clinical Practice Plan in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst, Clinical Practice Plan in New York, NY

Pros

Great benefits; driven coworkers that bring the best out of you; and many opportunities to grow.

Cons

As a very large organization, it is a bit intimidating at first. I came in as an RSA and eventually found my stride in the clinical practice plan.

Advice to Management

I was always treated very well for my hard work. I don't have anything negative to say. Please continue to hold job fairs for folks in upstate NY (like me) to find wonderful opportunities at MSKCC!

Memorial Sloan Kettering Response

Mar 19, 2015 – Talent Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback - especially about attending job fairs in Upstate NY. We'll be sure to share that with the Talent Acquisition team.

2. Session Assistant II

Current Employee - Session Assistant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Session Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent group of people! Everyone is trying to provide quality care to the patients

Cons

hard to move up, management can sometimes be not supportive

3. New Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really take good care of you, benefits are amazing and the atmosphere is wonderful!

Cons

Salary is a bit on the low side but I wouldn't work anywhere else!

5. Research Study Assistant II

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly team oriented, motivational working environment, down-to-earth coworkers, friendly atmosphere, organized promotional structure with room for growth. This position provides employees with a lot of responsibility which makes the position both challenging and engaging. Hours can be flexible which helps with spacing issues.

Cons

There is slight disconnect in the teamwork aspect when working with the mutli-centers at MSKCC, which is something the organization as a whole is working on. Limited space for personal employee desks.

Advice to Management

Work on increasing space for employees to better the work environment and create a more organized work space.

6. Postdoc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

Pros

Great place to work. Great healthcare and you live in NYC.

Cons

Stress at times depending on project.

7. POA-Physician Office Assistant

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment; gain real insight into medical practices, great learning environment.

Cons

The stress is made tenfold not by demanding doctors, or patients, but administration overseers who show no respect to staff. I had an email I had written to a colleague brought to my attention in a specially called meeting just to ask me why I was so informal in writing...Also my advancement was blocked by same individual even though a doctor had requested me specifically to join his new research lab. Administration needs to trust its own stringent hiring process and trust the individuals who pass it are equipped and willing to do the job (and often perform above and beyond what is asked only because of the drive to deliver outstanding patient centered care).

Advice to Management

Trust your POA's more; pay them more. Work to support instead of documenting infractions.

8. Food and Nutrition Department

Former Employee - RSA in New York, NY
    Former Employee - RSA in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, able to make each other smile even on those difficult days. Management is average. Good to help out the patients and help brighten up their days, some of the workers in other departments are wonderful and treat you like a human being.

Cons

Work load is always increasing, and no new policies or procedures to help balance it out. The opinions and suggestions of those actually doing the job is never taken into consideration. Still expected to get the work done even with faulty equipment. For those who do speak up you're branded a trouble maker. Some nurses, doctors, and those making more money than you treat you like garbage, and will try to break you.

Advice to Management

Listening to the suggestions and opinions of your employees is something you should definitely try.

Physician Office Assistant

Former Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

Pros

It's a fine entry level job. You really do work from 9-5.

Cons

Very bureaucratic place to work. Management claims in the interview that it is easy to grow and move around, but it is not. Furthermore, you really have no sense of power as a POA. What management says is what goes regardless of your feelings on the matter. And it's quite draining to talk to patients every day-while some are nice, many others are demanding and you are an easy target for them to take their anger out on.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent! Treat us like human beings.

10. Great Company

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is great. You will never meet a bad person at MSK. The benefits are amazing, the jobs are rewarding and you are making a difference every single day no matter where you work.

Cons

Moving up the ladder is very difficult...

Advice to Management

Promote your strong employees!

Good place to start

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first job, good benefits, amazing coworkers and opportunities to work on publications (depending on who you work for)

Cons

Low salary, difficult to move up the MSK ladder, limited desk availability across the company makes you feel under appreciated and creates an unstable work environment

RSS Feed </> Embed