Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Memorial Sloan Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • Very nice environment to work in and very nice people to work with (in 17 reviews)

• MSKCC is known for having great benefits (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High cost of living in new york city (in 8 reviews)

• there are not that many cons to describe except the fact that cost of living in New York City is just expensive (in 7 reviews)

1. Radiologist technologist

Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Radiologic Technologist in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hospital provide good patients care. It has excellent benefit & tuition reimbursement program for employees.

Cons

The place is very stressful and competive. You have to play a lot of politics in order to stay out of trouble. Also, it is easy to be written up depending of the manager in charge. Your tast is totally micromanage.

Advice to Management

Be less micromanaging!

2. Food and Nutrition Department

Former Employee - RSA in New York, NY
    Former Employee - RSA in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, able to make each other smile even on those difficult days. Management is average. Good to help out the patients and help brighten up their days, some of the workers in other departments are wonderful and treat you like a human being.

Cons

Work load is always increasing, and no new policies or procedures to help balance it out. The opinions and suggestions of those actually doing the job is never taken into consideration. Still expected to get the work done even with faulty equipment. For those who do speak up you're branded a trouble maker. Some nurses, doctors, and those making more money than you treat you like garbage, and will try to break you.

Advice to Management

Listening to the suggestions and opinions of your employees is something you should definitely try.

Desperate

Current Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly staff members, Compassionate staff members, high quality care from everyone.

Cons

Building relationships with patients and they lose their battle with cancer.

Advice to Management

Help graduates with job placement (training) within the hospital. I have a network & security degree and I can't get a job within the hospital and I've been working for over 16years. The hospital pays (outside) contracted workers more money and they're not employees of mskcc

It's better than most but could improve in technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The organization has very intelligent and passionate individuals. Everyone I met is committed to the vision for improving patient lives. Work roles and hours are clearly defined and most managers protect your boundaries and scope of work. There are many who have been at the organization for many years, some their whole life which says a lot about how the organization has treated them.

Cons

As much as it is a tribute to the passion and commitment of the organization, the dinosaurs that have been with Sloan for decades are preventing progress towards more effective uses of technology. The institution is distributed throughout Manhattan, NJ, and Brooklyn but yet the technology to support distributed decision making is what my Dad used in the 80s and 90s. Sloan invests in this tool called SharePoint and this other social networking tool that mostly people use to post content that isn't relevant to daily operations. Yet, there is a world of cloud-based tools that are more effective and do sign business associate agreements that are accessible security via mobile devices. Sloan is not keeping up with the changes of healthcare in terms of the increased number and complexity of patients in the healthcare system. While your role is clearly defined, within that definition your tedious tasks grow more and more because the technology we used to communicate and collaborate is outdated.

Advice to Management

Healthcare is not the same anymore. The one thing missing to make Sloan a good organization to a great one is the technology we use to communicate and collaborate. Embrace the web and the cloud, using proven solutions that aid cost effective decision-making. If not for patient care decision-making, at least move into these new technologies for administrative operations that do not involve PHI.

Great place to use as a stepping stone.

Current Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of staff. In Manhattan and close to highways and reliable public transportation.

Cons

Low pay. The full time work week is 37.5 hours and not 40. No paid lunches, no vision plan, cheap dental plans. Vacation is limited and no Union. There is a lot of "hype" associated with working here.

Advice to Management

Need to organize better to get more staff.

Good place for a little then move on

Current Employee - Research Study Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Study Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, great benefits

Cons

Middle management isn't watched over enough by the upper crust so your experience will be determined by whether or not you end up with a good manager. High stress, burn out and turn over are common.

Not easy to move up

Former Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers that I became friends with. Good first job experience. Great if you want to go back to school. Some positions have a lot of flexibility and even a 4 day work week.

Cons

After POA or SA, there isn't much room to go up. Practice Leader is all about who you know. You can interview until you are blue in the face, but they still won't hire you, they may hire someone that has 1 yr experience versus your 5. It doesn't make sense. There needs to be clearer expectations and not based on who you know, what fashion you were or how blonde your hair is.

just my comment

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

benefits are great, the company over all is good depends on the department you work in

Cons

low salary, no real raise

Advice to Management

put yourself in someone else place

POA Feedback

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits , work life initiatives, tuition reimbursement

Cons

I can only comment on the department I work in. We have had 7 employees quit or move on in the 2 years I have been here. Management in the department of medicine is atrocious - no accountability for when managers do something wrong or make a mistake. Anything that happens they always try to blame someone for it.

Advice to Management

communication needs to be way better, POA's have no say in work assignments/load, POA's are overworked and underpaid for the amount of work done, no significant raise unless you are here for three years.

POA position has a shelf life

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MSK is an amazing institution to work for in general. The benefits are incredible, they have a very large amount of discounts to almost anything you can think of and they offer perks through the excellent work/life program. The people here (I can't speak for all of them) are for the most part great. The POA (physician office assistant) role is an entry level position and they have a very efficient training program that makes sure that you're completely prepared for your job.

Cons

When hire you they make it seem like the opportunity for growth within the hospital is vast. In actuality it's not. There are hundreds and hundreds of people that have the same title as you and maybe 10 opportunities for advancement. (Obviously those numbers aren't 100% accurate but the point is that the chances of moving up in the food chain here is slim to none.) While you do get a "raise" every year based on your performance, it's minimal and doesn't help compensate for cost of living increases in NYC, especially when the economy is so bad.

Advice to Management

Be realistic when hiring employees about the availability of growth opportunities.

RSS Feed </> Embed