Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Updated November 15, 2014
3.9

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • good benefits and great environment to work for (in 17 reviews)

• Great Salary/ Great benefits/ Nice people to work with, very friendly (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High cost of living in new york city (in 8 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

177 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

an exciting place for researchers

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great labs, prestigious PIs; exciting projects; front-runners of many fields including cancer biology and immunology; sufficient funding; great facility; diverse career development opportunities

Cons

competitive. work can be challenging some times. expect long work hours (well postdocs all do everywhere)

Hope to work at the MSKCC again!

Former Employee - Visiting Investigator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visiting Investigator in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High impact work, love my coworkers. It's a product that is changing the world. Best cancer center.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

Respectful, Courteous, Loyal, Helpful, Wonderful experience working for them

Current Employee - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am an independent contractor providing services as needed to them. I am still getting jobs from them.
    They have always been wonderful with me and my company and associates that show up to perform the services.

Cons

I have no cons to report other than the lady that I worked for for the last 20 odd years has just left
    to work in Texas so I hope that her replacement is as nice as she was!

Please carry on the great footsteps of the lady that I worked for at Sloan Kettering!

POA Feedback

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits , work life initiatives, tuition reimbursement

Cons

I can only comment on the department I work in. We have had 7 employees quit or move on in the 2 years I have been here. Management in the department of medicine is atrocious - no accountability for when managers do something wrong or make a mistake. Anything that happens they always try to blame someone for it.

communication needs to be way better, POA's have no say in work assignments/load, POA's are overworked and underpaid for the amount of work done, no significant raise unless you are here for three years.

"#1 Cancer Research Hospital for a reason"

Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is an overall very professional atmosphere here at MSK. There is constant encouragement of individual career advancement.

Cons

I suppose that with many organizations there exists some level of bureaucracy, and this institution has some of it.

Have faith in your employees. Go easy on the micro-managing.

Great place to grow

Former Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Study Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Surrounded by the best in the field

Cons

Tough commute into the city.

Happy and proud to be a member of the MSKCC community, 7 years strong

Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; fantastic employees - friendly and proud to do their job; strong values and ethics; high standard of patient care; in depth training

Cons

Difficulty finding upward mobility in career development

Poor Management

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent learning experience and chance to put a great organization name on your resume for more visibility.

Cons

No room for growth unless someone quits or gets fired. Lack of transparency, culture shock- if you don't come from where everyone else comes from, you are silently criticized.

The Hr department needs a better source of guidance. Stop being the big scary manager and help your team succeed.

Great place to work

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great place to work especially right out of college. There is always the opportunity to move up the ladder with most positions.

Cons

At times can be stressful depending on your workload... but it comes with the package... most of the employees are extremely nice people.

An intense but rewarding job

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of room for growth, not only in your particular position but within the entire organization. It is a bit tough to get your foot in the door, but once you are there, they consider you an investment and provide a bunch of different resources that can help you launch a career. MSK spends a lot of time and effort on each individual employee and although it can be a bit smothering at times, they really help you to hone your skills and you will definitely thank them for it. The jobs themselves are also very rewarding because you often have direct patient contact, whether its part of your job or just from walking around the campus, and it is gratifying to be in a place that focuses on giving back to people.

Cons

The management is super, crazy bureaucratic and you can feel at time like they are stalking you and because they can use the "patient safety"rule (even when it doesn't apply), it trumps nearly any plausible explanation you could provide for some misdeed (ex: you arrive at your desk at 9:01 instead of directly at 9 because of a train delay or a broken elevator and you are considered late because it could potentially endanger patients that may be attempting to contact your office). The management also tends to be withholding with information, such as not providing you with an answer to an important question of yours until the last minute, even when they have the answer as a form of control. They also tend to squander a lot of time on useless things and schedule a bunch of ironic meetings, such as dragging you out of your office on a very busy day for a half hour lecture to discuss how important it is to stay on top of your work on very busy days. It can be a stressful environment sometimes because you can be criticized for silly things, like if they catch you checking the weather when you have no work to do during one of their surprise flybys, they will ask you if you are on lunch or using company time and then remind you that you are lucky that only they saw it because if anyone else were to see such buffoonery that you could misrepresent MSK to outsiders (which doesn't even make any sense considering this takes place in private offices), but it is just another way to control employees.

The upper management unfortunately has this perfect excuse to monitor your every move (especially when they don't like you or are in the mood to bully), which is that they need to ensure patient's safety and even though sometimes that gets out of hand, nothing is going to change about it. Unfortunately, that is the healthcare industry and if you just keep your head down and just roll with the punches and once you get the hang of it, it all pays off.

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Photos