Memorial Sloan Kettering Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
203 reviews filtered by
  • New York, NY

1. Great company with excellent benefits.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid company with long history of high-quality patient treatment and service. Great health (medical, dental, vision) and retirement benefits and vacation/sick time. Lots of locations throughout the state.

Cons

Strict policy on lateness and sickness.

Session Assistant

Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great way to meet nice people in your 20s/30s. You learn a lot about cancer care and establish connections with patients. You can't bring work home and are not expected to check your email when you are not at work. They pay for overtime. Great health benefits and plenty of vacation time. Coworkers are helpful.

Cons

Doctors can be moody. I would like to be paid more, seems like the managers demand more and more out of us but our pay stays the same. Your raise is based on a 'performance appraisal' which is a scale of 1-5, it is impossible to get 4s or 5s. You work with a lot of people, when certain people are slackers, you end up picking up their work because at the end of the day everything needs to be scheduled for the patients.

Managers need to balance out the work load better.

just my comment

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time

Pros

benefits are great, the company over all is good depends on the department you work in

Cons

low salary, no real raise

put yourself in someone else place

POA Feedback

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great benefits , work life initiatives, tuition reimbursement

Cons

I can only comment on the department I work in. We have had 7 employees quit or move on in the 2 years I have been here. Management in the department of medicine is atrocious - no accountability for when managers do something wrong or make a mistake. Anything that happens they always try to blame someone for it.

communication needs to be way better, POA's have no say in work assignments/load, POA's are overworked and underpaid for the amount of work done, no significant raise unless you are here for three years.

6. Best place for cancer research

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment, plenty of scientific lectures/seminars and social activities

Cons

Competitive, big difference in culture from lab to lab

7. an exciting place for researchers

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great labs, prestigious PIs; exciting projects; front-runners of many fields including cancer biology and immunology; sufficient funding; great facility; diverse career development opportunities

Cons

competitive. work can be challenging some times. expect long work hours (well postdocs all do everywhere)

8. Great company, expensive location.

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in the research institute doing bioinformatic programming. I guess it all depends on the lab you join more than the company. But many lecture opportunities, pay is good, subsidized housing on roosevelt island is nice and more convenient than you think. Weekly happy with free wine.

Cons

Expensive parking so prepare to take subway, about 15-20 minute walk to subway. Security in building so be prepared to wear name tag everywhere and check in but this is now the norm in NYC.

9. Awesome

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits at this company.

Cons

Little chance for advancement in my field.

Work/ life balance

10. Hope to work at the MSKCC again!

Former Employee - Visiting Investigator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visiting Investigator in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High impact work, love my coworkers. It's a product that is changing the world. Best cancer center.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work

11. Respectful, Courteous, Loyal, Helpful, Wonderful experience working for them

Current Contractor - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Event Planner/Entertainment Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am an independent contractor providing services as needed to them. I am still getting jobs from them.
    They have always been wonderful with me and my company and associates that show up to perform the services.

Cons

I have no cons to report other than the lady that I worked for for the last 20 odd years has just left
    to work in Texas so I hope that her replacement is as nice as she was!

Please carry on the great footsteps of the lady that I worked for at Sloan Kettering!

Memorial Sloan Kettering Photos