Memorial Sloan-Kettering

www.mkscc.org

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year(in 18 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in New York City is very expensive(in 6 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases(in 5 reviews)

Stable place to work with lots of opportunities

Development Officer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits- including 403 B, tuition reimbursement etc.; above average salary

ConsLarge organization- with lots of systems and procedures and often slow to make changes

good

ProsMSKCC has very good benefits.

ConsWorking in MSKCC is really a high pressure experience.

Centralized research resources, institution invests a lot to do so. Emphasis on employee well-being.

Research Study Specialist (Current Employee)

Pros-Institution has several resources to support employees
    -Tons of events to bolster development professionally and personally
    -Work alongside renowned Attendings and Investigators

Cons-Micromanagement and administrative loops (but probably true just about anywhere)
    -Limited growth to a degree, unless you develop the right relationships or have an inside track

Advice to Senior Management-Performance evaluations should lead to action (i.e. if staff is recognized as going beyond tasks and responsbilities in their job description this should lead to a promotion or changes in titles)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for employment

Phlebotomist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent benefits, pay higher than others in the area, happy coworkers, work flexibility.

ConsOvercrowding while prepairing for expansions, voice cant easily be heard

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more advice from staff.

MSK has a great working environment.

ProsThe company offers good benefits, the vibe is friendly and professional. They have great facilities.

ConsThe HR department is slow, and have missed background checks.

Great Collaborative Research Environment

Non-Employee Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorked as a college student research intern in the summer of 2013. Was able to participate in many events that were scheduled for other programs. Given much independence to work on a significant project.

ConsDifficult to find affordable housing near the hospital. Difficult to find funding required to live comfortably in Manhattan.

Advice to Senior ManagementDid not interact with any members of upper level management

Amazing people, tremendous room for growth!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMSKCC prides itself on hiring the best. You are constantly learning, and wanting to do better because the people you work with are bright and motivated. There is also a lot of emphasis put on work life balance, with great internal seminars, as well as flexible work arrangements (ie telecommuting, flexible hours, etc). I have never worked at an institution with such a high retention rate, which says a lot about MSK!

ConsThere are several facilities which are brand new, and if you are lucky enough to work in those offices, terrific! However, other off campus offices leave much to be desired. Buildings are old, with no windows. Be sure to ask about your workstation before you start!

Good experience.

ProsGreat people, decent pay (relative to similar positions elsewhere), exceptional benefits (leave, medical/dental/vision/life insurance, 401k/pension, tuition reimbursement, etc), rewarding work, great workplace wellness programs.

ConsLimited merit based pay increases. Overly bureaucratic at times. HR, although helpful, can be somewhat unresponsive.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider some innovative ways of improving the merit based pay system (ie other than just increasing the upper limit of annual merit based salary increases).

nice place to work...

Senior Research Tech (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossome real good projects to work on. good training and good institution.

Consneed to look for a good lab with good lab manager.

Great place for cancer researchers

Research Scholar (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat place to do cancer research in both basic research and clinical research. A lot of opportunities to collaborate with clinicians.

Consliving expense is a little too high and they don't offer high salaries for postdoc researchers.

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!