Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Updated August 16, 2014

3.8

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year (in 18 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in New York City is very expensive (in 6 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I wouldn't suggest working here

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY

Pros

Benefits are great
    Salary is good

Cons

Lack of vaca and time off

Doctors do not acknowledge you as a person
    Management doesn't care about you

Give us time off. Were humans who have a life outside the hospital.

Establishes the development and management of estimates and cost solutions for new construction and existing/new renovat

Former Employee - Design & Construction  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design & Construction in New York, NY

Pros

The center itself is one if not the best place to be employed.

Cons

Management is very poor in addressing the needs of NEWLY employed employees.

Do not expect a new hire to now the ins-and-outs of the department without any proper training and guidance!

A very high number of disgruntled workers in the Department of Laboratory Medicine

Former Employee - Information Technology  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Information Technology in New York, NY

Pros

The salary is competitive and the employee benefits are very good.

Cons

The leadership and administration for the department is unorganized, unethical, unprofessional, and malicious. They lack the necessary skills and knowledge to successfully lead a team or any projects.

Include your staff’s ideas and suggestions in departmental projects and initiatives.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Name Recognition Only

Former Employee - Clinical Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Clinical Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Good benefits, including tuition reimbursement (comparable with other university hospitals). Salary average to below average for NYC. Having the MSKCC name on your resume will open other doors.

Cons

Overall the organization is good to their patients and staff. Unfortunately, there are many departments and sub-departments. If you chose to work there be careful as to where you decide to work. For example, if you see many openings in the Department of Medicine, Clinical Trials Office, it should be a red flag. Upper "administrative" management has little regard for staff, or patients with heavy turnaround as a result. HR and overseeing management turns a blind eye and protects staff that should otherwise be terminated. Chose carefully your next career move.

Shielding poor and abusive managers in the long run will fail and ruin the reputation of a good institution with wonderful physicians. Research should be run by physicians and researchers, not business managers with no understanding of clinical research. HR staff and policies should be reviewed to ensure they are appropriate and applied consistently across all employees, including management.

Unappreciated and abusive!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent benefits, excellent success in treating cancer.

Cons

Workers are treated like slaves. Hard work is definitely NOT appreciated and the more you show you can do the job and work hard, the more they will give you WITHOUT compensation! MSK DOES NOT appreciate their employees! Employees are just a number.

Appreciate hard workers when you have them and stop taking advantage of their hard work and dedication. Look at your turnover rate and you will see just how unhappy the employees are.

Like a prison sentence.

Former Employee - Administration  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administration in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent pay, modern and clean work environment, having a well known cancer center on your resume.

Cons

Unethical treatment of employees, different rules for different people, unrealistic expectations and demands with no appreciation for hard work - just a horrible place to work.

Remember, you weren't always in the position you are now - you were once where your staff was - treat them accordingly and appreciate their hard work.

brand name organization can improvement

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Basking Ridge, NJ

Pros

benefits and patient interaction, brand name organization

Cons

Frenetic fast pace environment, inadequate staff for volume of patients, poor training/mentorship from management. No interest in supporting a hard working, caring employee who by the shear volume and lack of training was set up to fail...
    "At Will" termination with NO FORMAL performance appraisal or supervisory warning regarding performance concerns.

If serious concerns have the decency to sit down for formal discussion/ appraisal and outline improvement strategies with a timeline should performance not be attained. Don't just blind side with "At Will" termination just because you can.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent learning experience and chance to put a great organization name on your resume for more visibility.

Cons

No room for growth unless someone quits or gets fired. Lack of transparency, culture shock- if you don't come from where everyone else comes from, you are silently criticized.

The Hr department needs a better source of guidance. Stop being the big scary manager and help your team succeed.

Great Hospital- Terrible IT

Current Employee - PC/Mac Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - PC/Mac Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent Hospital system as I've been told. Many oportunities

Cons

Supervisors are unprofessional, breeding an unprofessional atmosphere. No direct path for career advancement. A lot of required OT. Menial tasks

Hire and invest from Within. As a manager do not take things personally. Train and promote employees.

Glass Ceilings Everywhere...

Former Employee - Physician Office Assistant II
    Former Employee - Physician Office Assistant II

Pros

Excellent benefits, decent salary, friendly environment, and very structured.

Cons

If you are a person of color, you might want to reconsider accepting an entry-level position with any chance of moving up. In my experience I have seen SEVERAL of my coworkers in different departments (some with Ivy-League degrees, and/or some like myself, college educated and an exceptional worker) literally "passed over" when seeking a higher position for people not of color who have WAY less experience or credentials...(but they do smile alot).

Please explain how a person whose work is mediocre and 2 years experience nabs a position over a person with 8 years of good standing and experience.

Please explain how a person whose work has been deemed mediocre and their "1st job ever" supersedes a person who has trained them with 9 years experience and a Masters degree...

When I have tried to apply to various positions, my supervisors would say condescending statement about me to potential employers (It has also happened to several people within my department- interviews always go well until they speak to management, even considered having someone call as an employer to find out why all my interviews go well until they speak to my management team)

When I returned to school, I was told that my work declined...Funny, a very SIMILAR thing happened to a friend of mine in a completely different department when she returned to school.

If you are of color and are content with working in the same position for at least 15 years before being considered for something else, then this is the place for you. I find it hard to believe that I've received awards for my above and beyond work, but can't seem to exercise this work in a different area despite my various specialized credentials.

As for me and many individuals who have decided to break the glass ceiling and venture elsewhere (funny- those same people who couldn't get a promotion at Sloan are now Directors and Managers elsewhere), you do learn a lot about the corporate world as someone's secretary...

The underlying yet blatant racism will one day be exposed...In my 7 years I have seen so much of it, that I simply decided to venture elsewhere. As for my department itself it's crazy how almost every person not of color within 2 years receives a promotion (and I am talking completely inexperienced people prior to their hire) while people with degrees in the health care field are forced (by polluting their to remain entry level.

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!