Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Updated October 24, 2014
3.9

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year (in 28 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • High cost of living in new york city (in 7 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great working environment!

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Pros

Great office culture, great place to work

Cons

Far from the subway station

Long time employee loved the mission and many of the people but the Leadership needs change

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation, helping patients in large and small ways, availability of resources and development

Cons

Most leaders in place too long, growing too fast - not helping staff adjust, not enough succession planning throughout the institution, mentality of being half the size makes them not realistic regarding many employee work/life issues

Practice what you preach

Awesome

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific benefits at this company.

Cons

Little chance for advancement in my field.

Work/ life balance

Great company, expensive location.

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bioinformatics Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the research institute doing bioinformatic programming. I guess it all depends on the lab you join more than the company. But many lecture opportunities, pay is good, subsidized housing on roosevelt island is nice and more convenient than you think. Weekly happy with free wine.

Cons

Expensive parking so prepare to take subway, about 15-20 minute walk to subway. Security in building so be prepared to wear name tag everywhere and check in but this is now the norm in NYC.

Not the place to be if you work with technology

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, telecommute, benefits, great physicians

Cons

First of all worth to say that I'm writing this review from the perspective of a Software Engineer.

In a simple sentence, avoid this place if you are in the tech space.

Old mentality, old systems that were developed in the 90s and never updated. Impossible to maintain a conversation about tech (not that I'm a geek or anything).

Nobody (you are reading correctly, yes) does coding. They simply install and use Windows based tools.

Next->Next->Finish is the closest thing to an algorithm these people have seen.

Honestly, avoid this place at all cost if you are trying to make a career path in technology. Now I understand why healthcare is such a mess; and trust me it is a really big mess

Ask your employers to update their skills, get out, learn what's out there.

Science, management and compensation are envigorating.

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An institution with a strong scientific reputation. You are working for a good cause, improving patient health and scientific understanding for improving medical care.

Cons

After a while you hit a glass ceiling when some may think there is room to continue growing. If a supervisor feels competitive of you, you may be told your next step is to start over. It may feel deflating. If you have a life balance concern (new family member, FMLA concern) you will be told you are supported; however your job responsibilities will slip away to another.

If there is smoke, don't slander the employee. Consider that the supervisor may need some counseling.

just my comment

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time

Pros

benefits are great, the company over all is good depends on the department you work in

Cons

low salary, no real raise

put yourself in someone else place

POA Feedback

Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Physician Office Assistant II in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits , work life initiatives, tuition reimbursement

Cons

I can only comment on the department I work in. We have had 7 employees quit or move on in the 2 years I have been here. Management in the department of medicine is atrocious - no accountability for when managers do something wrong or make a mistake. Anything that happens they always try to blame someone for it.

communication needs to be way better, POA's have no say in work assignments/load, POA's are overworked and underpaid for the amount of work done, no significant raise unless you are here for three years.

Session Assistant

Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Session Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great way to meet nice people in your 20s/30s. You learn a lot about cancer care and establish connections with patients. You can't bring work home and are not expected to check your email when you are not at work. They pay for overtime. Great health benefits and plenty of vacation time. Coworkers are helpful.

Cons

Doctors can be moody. I would like to be paid more, seems like the managers demand more and more out of us but our pay stays the same. Your raise is based on a 'performance appraisal' which is a scale of 1-5, it is impossible to get 4s or 5s. You work with a lot of people, when certain people are slackers, you end up picking up their work because at the end of the day everything needs to be scheduled for the patients.

Managers need to balance out the work load better.

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has a positive and organized atmosphere

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering (less than an year)

Pros

The company is good due to training and company values

Cons

i did not experience cons while working there

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Photos