Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson

Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year (in 18 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in New York City is very expensive (in 6 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, very professional, great location

ConsExpect a lot, which can be a good thing!

So so place

ProsBenefits, hours, good people, overall ok

ConsTech transfer office needs complete revamping

Advice to Senior ManagementWork in making it a better, more productive place - departments are too siloed

I wouldn't suggest working here

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits are great
    Salary is good

ConsLack of vaca and time off

Advice to Senior ManagementDoctors do not acknowledge you as a person
    Management doesn't care about you

Give us time off. Were humans who have a life outside the hospital.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

True community, with need for adaptability

Development (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat colleagues, incredible institutional reputation and strong support for existing management team (which totally depends on your department, however).

ConsLarge organization that makes adaptability to change slow and strenuous, some departments require a lot of work and often those in management positions could use more training on being a good manager (even if they have leadership potential).

Glass Ceilings Everywhere...

Physician Office Assistant II (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, decent salary, friendly environment, and very structured.

ConsIf you are a person of color, you might want to reconsider accepting an entry-level position with any chance of moving up. In my experience I have seen SEVERAL of my coworkers in different departments (some with Ivy-League degrees, and/or some like myself, college educated and an exceptional worker) literally "passed over" when seeking a higher position for people not of color who have WAY less experience or credentials...(but they do smile alot).

Please explain how a person whose work is mediocre and 2 years experience nabs a position over a person with 8 years of good standing and experience.

Please explain how a person whose work has been deemed mediocre and their "1st job ever" supersedes a person who has trained them with 9 years experience and a Masters degree...

When I have tried to apply to various positions, my supervisors would say condescending statement about me to potential employers (It has also happened to several people within my department- interviews always go well until they speak to management, even considered having someone call as an employer to find out why all my interviews go well until they speak to my management team)

When I returned to school, I was told that my work declined...Funny, a very SIMILAR thing happened to a friend of mine in a completely different department when she returned to school.

If you are of color and are content with working in the same position for at least 15 years before being considered for something else, then this is the place for you. I find it hard to believe that I've received awards for my above and beyond work, but can't seem to exercise this work in a different area despite my various specialized credentials.

As for me and many individuals who have decided to break the glass ceiling and venture elsewhere (funny- those same people who couldn't get a promotion at Sloan are now Directors and Managers elsewhere), you do learn a lot about the corporate world as someone's secretary...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe underlying yet blatant racism will one day be exposed...In my 7 years I have seen so much of it, that I simply decided to venture elsewhere. As for my department itself it's crazy how almost every person not of color within 2 years receives a promotion (and I am talking completely inexperienced people prior to their hire) while people with degrees in the health care field are forced (by polluting their to remain entry level.

Establishes the development and management of estimates and cost solutions for new construction and existing/new renovat

Design & Construction (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe center itself is one if not the best place to be employed.

ConsManagement is very poor in addressing the needs of NEWLY employed employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not expect a new hire to now the ins-and-outs of the department without any proper training and guidance!

Amazing organizational goals; questionable execution

Session Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsTightly-knit collaborative environment at the entry level, and the opportunity to help people. Firsthand experience with the pitfalls and successes of healthcare administration.

ConsExtremely repetitive work at a very high volume. Management is under-qualified, and lacks experience and leadership capabilities. There is virtually no room for advancement in this position, and you will often be treated without kindness by clinical staff and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who are qualified AND empathetic. Find a way to reconnect with your employees and your patients.

Overall, great place to work

ProsFlexibility, great reputation, great research programs,

ConsLow mobility in some roles,

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance on those you might not have considered

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Dissapointed

Administrative Support Staff Group Leader (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, great coworkers / people

ConsManagement micromanages is inflexible and can be controlling

Advice to Senior ManagementUplift the staff, promote growth and development

Great company, awful management at Basking Ridge

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Basking Ridge, NJ

Prosgood health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you

Conslack of management skills - managers are not trained and do not care how you get things done as long as they are done. There is little pressure on them as all of the pressure falls on the client service reps.

Advice to Senior Managementhire managers who are capable and eager to learn the department.

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!