Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Updated September 19, 2014
3.8

Memorial Sloan-Kettering President & CEO Craig B. Thompson
Craig B. Thompson

Pros
  • They have great benefits like accommodation which I've used the last year (in 18 reviews)

• good health benefits, decent hours, young people with drive working with you (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Living in New York City is very expensive (in 6 reviews)

• MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I had a great group of co-workers who supported one another. I had a great working rapport with the various departments everyone was more than willing to go beyond the call of duty.

Cons

Very long hours with a large workload.

Great company with a wonderful mission

Current Employee - Development/Finance  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Development/Finance in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for a couple of different departments over the last 6 years, but we are always reminded of the mission of the hospital, which is to find a cure for cancer.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be a challenge, as you have go through different stages of approvals before getting anything done. But I guess that's is expected with a big organization.

Great employer

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture of the workplace and attitude of coworkers is excellent.

Cons

Narrow scope of practice, ie no open heart, no stroke unit.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Doing something great, regardless of what you actual do.

Current Employee - Special Events Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Events Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Whether you work at the main hospital or one of many other administrative offices, there's always a sense that you're doing something for a great cause. The compensation, for the most part, seems up to par, if not better, with the non-profit sector. Health benefits are great.

Cons

One of the challenges is career development. Besides already established career ladders (e.g., SAs, POAs) the possibility of moving up in the company seems like a bit of an exercise in futility.

Memorial has a wonderful reputation as one of the best cancer centers in the world, and while it seems to do a lot to attract top talent in the medical field, it could be doing a lot more to attract a similar degree of talent on the professional side. Employee perks and benefits, for example, have not been updated in years and live in a black hole (ie the HR website that resides in the intranet). Companies these days are leveraging anything and everything to attract talent -- from gym membership subsidies to discounts on local restaurants. Obviously, potential perks should be evaluated to ensure that they align with MSK's culture and values, but revisiting what's possible could potentially increase recruitment and retention. With so many awesome employees, and therefore a ton of leverage to create partnerships with other outside organizations, it's seems that MSK is just a stone's throw away from being that much better of a place to work.

Great working environment.

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work if you land in a good working environment (i.e., you get along with immediate colleagues and supervisors). The benefits and pay are slightly better than most hospitals and most employees (even support staff) seem to be happy working here. The research support system is better than most other NYC academic medical centers.

Cons

It's 3 avenue blocks from the closest subway stop. (May not sound like much until it's a freezing February morning and you're carrying a heavy bag.) Difficult to lateral to another position within the hospital (maybe there's a flood of applicants looking to lateral? Don't know.)

Excellence in Performance and Expectation

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for less than a year

Pros

This hospital is a wonderful place to grow professionally and educationally! They will help you advance and care about your career. Friendly culture and workplace.

Cons

You are expected to work at your upmost high potential at all times.

Research Fellow

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in New York, NY

I worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great research environment; wonderful facilities

Cons

Low salary; too much focus on publishing versus innovation.

Provide better housing opportunities for post-doctoral fellows

Good place to work

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering

Pros

Good working environment, technology and training.

Cons

I don't feel it.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Research Technician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are very smart and dedicated people. The research is always striving to be the best. The benefits are great.

Cons

As with many academic institutions, there are some egos involved. The cafeteria options could also be a little more expansive

Great Hospital- Terrible IT

Current Employee - PC/Mac Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - PC/Mac Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan-Kettering full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Hospital system as I've been told. Many oportunities

Cons

Supervisors are unprofessional, breeding an unprofessional atmosphere. No direct path for career advancement. A lot of required OT. Menial tasks

Hire and invest from Within. As a manager do not take things personally. Train and promote employees.

Worked for Memorial Sloan-Kettering? Contribute to the Community!