Memphis City Schools Reviews

1 Rating

1. PROJECT MANAGER

Former Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Memphis City Schools (More than 8 years)

Pros

Memphis city schools is a large organization, I have the opportunity to contribute immensely in executing a lot of projects such as construction of stadia, auditoriums and blocks of classrooms. I am efficient in metric calculation, performance measurement, procurement, inventory management, budgeting, W2, motivation, interpersonal and leadership relationship. I possess both people and task leadership(transactional and transformational) and I am equally good in working within budgets and schedules.

Cons

I deliver on schedule and within cost, I measure performance regularly and ensure timely delivery.

Advice to Management

I believe in doing feasibility studies- or doing proper calculation before starting any project) good planning, monitoring, and prompt actions in correcting errors or mistakes. I also believe in regular performance metric or measurement, motivating the workers. I also give comprehensive reports for the management edification.

2. Science Teacher

I worked at Memphis City Schools

Pros

Great grant provided by Bill Gates to teach inner city students computer and engineering principals as well as the fundamentals of Robotics.

Cons

District was eliminated when The Memphis City Schools merged with Shelby County School District. Five hundred Classroom Teachers were just informed that their positions have been eliminated.

Advice to Management

Because the Memphis City School District was eliminated and merged with another District the issue of most of the Management from MCS were displaced, demoted or terminated.

3. Be Tough

I worked at Memphis City Schools

Pros

Salary, Benefits thats the good part

Cons

Disrespectful Students, thats the bad part.

Advice to Management

Remember you were once a teacher to ( Admin) Why are the boards salaries so high.

5. Teacher Assistant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Memphis City Schools

Pros

You have your summer off.

Cons

Pay is not that great as a teacher asst.

6. Too much red tape

Former Employee - High School Teacher in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in Memphis, TN

I worked at Memphis City Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was mostly left alone in my classroom to do what I needed to do. I enjoyed working with my students for the most part - they were bright and energetic.

Cons

There were too many meetings and forms to fill out. It was difficult dealing with disciplinary problems with little to no support from the principal and his staff.

Advice to Management

Employ more disciplinary staff, try to be more supportive of teachers and encourage them by sharing what they do right instead of pointing out problems.

7. Horrible experience!

Former Employee - Research Evaluator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Research Evaluator in Memphis, TN

I worked at Memphis City Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seeing the smiles on children's faces especially special needs children who accomplish a goal. Staff that truly care and are there for more than a paycheck.

Cons

Leadership promotes based on who you know not based on career skills. There are NUMEROUS staff members in leadership that do not have degrees and barely have the necessary technical skills to be successful. Leaders are allowed to order supplies, take trips, fire/hire staff based off of their needs and not what is in the best interest of the district or students. Disciplinary matters with staff at the district level are not handled fairly. Raises are given to "leaders" but there are always budget issues when it comes to providing raises to the ones that actually do the work. The public is allowed to file complaints on staff with no proof and disciplinary action is taken without proper investigation. African American students are disciplined/expelled at a much higher rate than their white counterparts.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly. Hire & promote based on skills not the "good ole boy" system. Compensate fairly.

8. Secondary English Teacher in Title I School

I worked at Memphis City Schools

Pros

Strong leadership at my school, additional resources due to Title I status, strong growth in test scores in my time there

Cons

Malaise among fellow educators, truancy

Too big!! Bureaucracy abounds!

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in Memphis, TN

I worked at Memphis City Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice having summers to myself. The pay is better than most in the area.

Cons

The schools can be unsafe for teachers. The administration is not supportive of staff.

Advice to Management

I was hoping the merger would fix things, but our failing leadership forced the old failing policies on a working system. SHAME.

10. Exhaused

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Memphis City Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Student appreciation and growth, calendar work schedule.

Cons

Annual increasing demands while resources and compensation dwindles. Insurance rates have soared, making it impossible to cover family.

Advice to Management

Students are the heart of this institution. Teachers provide the vessels necessary for success.

11. Brought me many learning opportunities and the chance to serve the families and students of the community.

Former Employee - EAA
    Former Employee - EAA

I worked at Memphis City Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you listened to the public and their concerns it impacted the district as a whole. If you wanted to, you had an opportunity to have your work make a difference, if only in one department. There were some outstanding leaders within the district that made change if only in their fifedoms.

Cons

There were too many people whom had become apathetic about their work and the district. The politics of a mostly inept school board, the practice of nepotism and corruption in vendor contracts at all levels within the district. Not that it everywhere, just the fact that it existed, made everyone distrust the district. The children, whom the district is suppose to serve have been forgotten about.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the school board (not going to happen) or get an independent outside agency to handle and process all vendor bids and contracts from the district to the school site level.

RSS Feed </> Embed