Men's Wearhouse

Updated December 18, 2014
3.4

Men's Wearhouse President and CEO Douglas S. Ewert
Douglas S. Ewert

Pros
  • Holiday parties were very nice, depending on management it can be a pretty easy job (in 25 reviews)

• Flexibility, great benefits, more talkative to employees than most companies (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales trump everything at the expense of customer service (in 16 reviews)

• No potential for growth unless your willing to suck up to upper management (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun work environment. A little underpaid and constantly changing promotions cause confusion and customer service issues.

Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Wardrobe Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse

Pros

Fun work environment
    Hefty employee discount
    Flexible schedules
    Amiable store management

Cons

Confusing sales
    Seemingly disconnected corporate management
    Low pay

Pay us more
    Make the sales more consistent and have less exceptions
    Run promotions on merchandise we actually have in the store (JNY suits?)

Who You Know

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse

Pros

Great company that is very employee-centric. Very generous time-away and flex scheduling. Discounts are great too. You can really make money in a busy store. Not all stores are busy though.

Cons

Too many chiefs. Not always organized. Very quasi-nepotism. It's mostly about who you know. Merchandise planners are clueless.

Get rid of unqualified people (a result of nepotism)..

Good place to work but very demanding

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse

Pros

Phil Auguste is the best corporate trainer and GM I have ever experienced. Great selling model.

Cons

Money fluctuates a lot depending on the season and the whims of the customers buying mood so a commission environment is what it is.

Let managers manage and ease off the pressure of selling. It is too much

Couldn't revise my old review, so here's a new one.. about two years later than the original

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Immediate coworkers are very supportive and genuinely care about me as a person.

Earned benefit time is nice, as well as paid holidays.

Head trainer in corporate is very passionate about his job, this has made it's way down to my store, resulting in successful and proficient support staff.

Cons

Our health insurance plan went from surprisingly decent to pretty awful.
    Employee morale has suffered tremendously in the past few years. I don't think it's fair to say this is due to change in leadership, but the timing says it all.
    For a long time, corporate treated store employees as equals. There are still a few executives that maintain this mentality, and for that I am appreciative. However a lot of the changes being made are at the store employees expense. What happened to feeling appreciated at work? I feel appreciated my my store manager as well as my regional, and I am blessed to have a phenomenal Zone VP. But beyond that, we're all here to serve the same purpose, to make TMW more money.
    So, the company cuts costs to save money. Understandable. Yet tenured employees are denied raises over .50, we have to hire an unrealistic number of part time CSAs because the company doesn't want to spend money promoting any PT CSA to FT- all because of (MAYBE) a .25 raise and the possibility of benefits?
    OH, but just schedule your wardrobes more hours to help with CSA duties. They get paid roughly $5 an hour before commission! They do not care about tuxedo rentals, as they make no commission!

Cutting costs at the employee's expense is the wrong way to do things. No, we don't need summer care packages with kool aid and picnic supplies. We don't need foosball tables. Seasonal region events? I don't miss those.

I know the majority of people now working in corporate started out working in a store. For most of those people it's been decades since that time. Times have changed, we can no longer do more work with fewer people. Or in present case, more people working fewer hours.

Suck it up and pay for another full time employee. It's beyond difficult to train 5 part time CSAs who work anywhere from 5-20 hours a week. It's super easy and much more effective to train a full time CSA working 32-40 hours a week. It's simple, the company is just becoming too cheap to care. We are putting too much responsibility on high-school age kids making barely above minimum wage. TO BOOK WEDDINGS.

Basically, start caring about your employees well-being again, please stop cutting corners to save money (we all notice), and take into consideration the work being put on these PT csas.

I think once George was gone, we went from one extreme to another. PLEASE find a happy medium.

The Best Retail Company to start a career in sales!!!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Forest Hills, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Forest Hills, NY

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

"Plenty of opportunities for growth from within, You will learn how to be a skilled Salesperson with the training from the store Manager to all the way up to the Regional Manager, also; one of the best experiences Ii had with Men's Wearhouse was that deep sense of a family environment all the way from through the whole entire company."

Cons

If you want to make a decent income and have better opportunities for growth, you might have to commute to the busier parts of town.

Please Remember: The most important thing to have a great working team that will do anything for you to reach all your goal is to
     "ALWAYS MAINTAIN HAPPY AND POSITIVE WORK ENVIRONMENT! & THERE'S NEVER AN I IN TEAM!"

Good sales Experience

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers are like family

Cons

Stores can be short staffed

Good college job, but little incentive to stay upon graduation

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate (CSA) in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate (CSA) in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are very flexible and perfect for working around a class schedule. The employee discount is very generous at 55%, and when paired with the PMDA system it makes it easy to start building a professional wardrobe. Workplace culture will vary from store to store depending upon one's coworkers. The culture at my store was mostly positive, with nearly everyone including management being very friendly and team-oriented. I've heard of other stores having lazy CSA teams or a lot of unpleasant and underhanded competition amongst wardrobe consultants. Not my experience, but again, it depends on the store. Good training. Good experience. Customer service philosophy is very hands-on (letting customers browse unassisted is discouraged), so if you aren't used to engaging customers that directly there is plenty of opportunity for you to hone that skill. The annual holiday party is a good time.

Cons

Prepare yourself for a less than ideal work-life balance. As a part time CSA this wasn't too bad, but Wardrobe Consultants and store management can expect to pull 12 hour shifts and six day work weeks during busy seasons (holiday, prom). Regarding busy seasons, this is retail, so the holidays, wedding season, and prom season bring in the usual herds of stressed out and unreasonably angry people. Everything is too expensive and you are at fault. Now smile and apologize. If you aren't used to these sorts of customers or are new to retail, I wouldn't recommend Men's Wearhouse as your first foray into the industry.
    Advancement is difficult to come by. I've expressed the desire to move to full-time on several occasions, but regional management has my store manager's hands tied. The annual raise is reasonable, but nothing that will make you elated. I've heard frank complaints that promotions in the regional and upper management sphere rely heavily on favoritism.
    And this may not be every store, but you don't really get breaks. There will be times when you're sent on a food run for the team. There will be times when the store is empty for ten, fifteen, or twenty minutes. These are your breaks. I had an assistant manager tell me this. Now, if you insist that you're going to take a break no one will stop you. But it is frowned upon and you risk alienating yourself from the people you work with. Coming from a job where we were practically forced to take breaks, this was quite the culture shock. I understand the logic behind it. Customer rushes are only predictable to a degree, and no one wants to be stuck in a storm one hand short. But when breaks I didn't take are deducted from my timesheet at the end of the week anyway, it's difficult not to be angry.

Fremont

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Men's Wearhouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the Fremont Corporate office, if you fit in, this place is very tight, and they treat you like family. If you are not very trained in what you want to do, this is a great place to "work your way up."

Cons

If you come in and understand how things should work, especially if you are efficient, and expect to work with professionals, not family, this is not the place for you.

There is no point, they don't listen.

Consider it Carefully

I have been working at Men's Wearhouse full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to increase your paycheck a little by hitting all your bonuses. There are some rewarding aspects. Knowing that you've done a great job, made others happy on their most important day.

Cons

Really isn't any form of training. Get your promises upon hiring in writing!! Blackout seems to erase those promises.

Regional and above, try communicating with your stores more. Keeping in mind communication is a two way thing, not just one.

Respect is lacking, and management is poor

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate (CSA) in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate (CSA) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Men's Wearhouse part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lovely job for any college student looking for part-time, Lots of opportunities to improve as a person, promotion from within, get to dress up everyday and talk with customers. Depending on your team, it can be one of the best part time jobs, even though minimum wage.

Cons

Management is lacking. One bad apple definitely spoils the bunch, and there was a bad apple in management. Management team loved to gossip (about each other!!) and cut one another down when one wasn't there. Double standards, Management had very poor hygiene and were cynical. Management made everyone turn on each other and had an extremely negative, toxic work environment!!!! Minimum wage

Really look to see who you put in management positions. Also, consider putting someone younger in management if you want any chance at keep your business alive in the years to come.

Men's Wearhouse Photos