Menard
www.menards.com Eau Claire, WI 5000+ Employees

Menard Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Menard President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

Pros:
  • "Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing"
    in 80 reviews
  • "Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts"
    in 43 reviews
  • "No work/life balance - your life is Menards"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Poor training, No advancement opportunities, Demeaning tasks

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Menard part-time for more than a year

ProsThe only reason I applied at Menards is because they pay an extra $2.50 an hour to employees on the weekends. That's because working weekends sucks.

ConsI was a cashier. You would think that a cashier would be cashiering all day, right? WRONG! I rarely cashiered. They would overstaff the store and then give certain cashiers the most demeaning tasks in the store. None of this was mentioned in the job interview. I was never told I would be spending my days scrubbing windows, sweeping the floor, vacuuming, and cleaning the bathrooms. Plus they make cashiers work on the sales floor by putting away returns and actually working in other departments without training you in any of those departments. Something as simple as paging an employee over the intercom is not taught to the cashiers. When I relatively new, the front end manager told me to work in the Hardware department since the store was slow so I went to Hardware and started working. He never told me to clock out of the front end and then clock in over in Hardware. Needless to say, I got yelled at. They don't tell you to do something and then they yell at you when you don't know to do it.

On top of all of that, there are no advancement opportunities. Menards supposedly prides itself in promoting from within, but if you ever want to be promoted from a crappy retail job to a job at the corporate office then think again. The most advancement opportunities you will experience are the opportunities to go from part-time cashier to part-time head cashier.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst of all, don't give your cashiers such demeaning tasks. Do you think someone who applies to be a cashier wants to spend their day cleaning up feces in the bathroom? Secondly, start promoting from within. Many of the people I worked with had degrees, including myself. Were any of us promoted? Nope. Lastly, if you want someone to work on the sales floor then train them on the sales floor! That should be common sense. Unfortunately, common sense isn't too common anymore.

Low Pay

Receiving (Current Employee)
Sycamore, IL

I have been working at Menard part-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood job for a 16 year old.

ConsLong hours. Low Pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetail sucks. I'm glad I found another job, so I won't wind-up like you all.

Company Review

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Menard part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe schedule was fairly flexible

ConsWorking until 9 or 10 on weekends, never knew if you were being watched or not on camera, at times there were unreasonable sales goals, store managers had big egos.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop watching employees on camera to ensure they're doing their job. Walk the sales floor and be approachable.

Tiring, not rewarding

Morning Stocker Menards (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Menard part-time for less than a year

Prosthe 5-9am shift worked well with my class schedule

Conswork very early hours
occasionally have to work outside in -40F temperatures
will get written up if you come in to warm up
only 10c raise

Advice to Senior Managementrevise how you make workers work outside in the cold!

Long hours, No life

Manager Trainee (Former Employee)
Plano, IL

I worked at Menard full-time for more than a year

ProsCool co-workers are cool but normally not happy

Conslong hours at the worst time of day. very dark and depressing place to be

Advice to Senior Managementchange operating hours

Menards

I have been working at Menard

Prosgain experience, opportunities for growth

ConsLeadership, work-life balance, perks, culture

Advice to Senior ManagementMore vacation time

It drove me to drink

Manager Trainee (Former Employee)
Scottsbluff, NE

I worked at Menard full-time for less than a year

ProsI was a Manager Trainee, so I made really good money and everyone listened to me.

ConsSome times I went to work at 6:00 A.M. and got off at 11:30 P.M., they expect you to move to advance, only 30 minutes for lunch, on your feet for the entire time, very demanding, got a bad reference when they transferred me to a town I didn't like and quit. Don't ask questions about the quality of the product...its bad and they get pissed. Everyone is obsessed with being promoted so they gossip and backstab...corporate only cares about one thing-inventory. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire about company practices and my boss said i did it wrong. He did this in the security room where there are cameras and voice recorders. My question...why do we sell sub-part tools? He did it with the assistant manager, and asked if i really wanted to work there-this was right after corporate asked me to fly to the head office for training...went to training and transferred and they fired me...they found a reason, said I was great at my job but...and you get the story.

Advice to Senior ManagementWisconsin is not America, get in touch with it. We all think what you do up there is weird.

Okay

Cabinets and Appliance Team Member (Former Employee)

I worked at Menard part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people who work here are like family, good pay for high school students or those without a degree

Conslong hours, mean guests, bad work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementThe general office needs to start working in stores so they can make realistic policies/goals

They pay well but you must work for it.

Receiver (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Menard part-time for more than a year

ProsPays relatively well, some flexibility offered

ConsMost pay is in bonuses, requires long hours for management

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect more on a store level

Challenging to work here, because of hours and negative management style.

Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Menard full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing. Some really great people worked here, most were gone within a year.

ConsReally hard work, often lifting heavy 75lb+ up or down onto mega rack, demanding management, harsh and negative management styles, long hours both early morning and late nights. Really poor program of having people often close and then open the next day.

Advice to Senior Managementtransition into the modern world by teaching respect, goal setting and positive feedback

Worked for Menard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Menard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Menard CEO John R. Menard Jr. All 513 reviews posted anonymously by Menard employees.