Menards

www.menards.com

Menards Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing(in 92 reviews)

• Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - your life is Menards(in 21 reviews)

• Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts(in 46 reviews)

76 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Multiple disciplinary experiences.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsAdvancement opportunities are readily available. You can promote at your own pace as long as you are willing to relocate. Very nice profit sharing program.

ConsThe company is micro-managed to the extreme. Weekend hours for managers are way too long. Their is no relocation package available to help off set costs of moving with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your managers manage and do not micro-manage every little aspect of the company.

Large company with many opportunities

Department Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosok beginner position. Mostly good people to work with.

ConsPoor pay. Management couldn't care less about workers.

Great first job or career path.

Head Cashier (Former Employee) Melrose Park, IL

ProsFlexible hours, good environment, payroll deduction for purchasesale an option, good pay

ConsOnly 10% discount, long hours at times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Building Materials Sales Rep.

Sales Team Member (Former Employee) Griffith, IN

ProsIt's a friendly environment to work in. There's also room to move up. Management is always willing to help.

ConsThe hours won't give much of a balance with your social life, and if you become a manager don't expect to get many hours. In short if you're a manager you will be sent home early often and if you're not expect long days.

Couldn't care less about their employees

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery cool co-workers, overall nice customers, and no one is breathing down your neck every checking in on you every five minutes to see your productivity.

ConsDepartment managers are not appreciated by upper management and do not pay them their worth...this affects how department managers treat their department employees.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat you dept. managers better.

Good highschool job

Cashier (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBonus weekend pay
    Great Co-workers
    Great Customers
    Good useful website

ConsLack of humanity
    Want you to work when they say so
    Point System
    Lack of teamwork
    No room for growth

Excellent if your going to school!

Cashier and Service Desk (Former Employee) Portage, IN

ProsGreat environment, and flexible scheduling! Plus great pay compared to other companies.

ConsSometimes you can get 40 hours a week and sometimes 12....it just depends.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a set amount of hours to part time positions.

The money is ok but the hours suck.

Sales Team Member (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsProfit sharing is great! The people you work with are often fun but they also have feeling of dissatisfaction and if possible would leave for something better

ConsUpper management rules almost exclusively with negative reinforcement, they beat you down and then keep going. It does vary from store to store but having been at multiple store it seems more common that not. They overwork you frequently for pay that is only decent because of overtime and year end bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should start to value their team better instead of planning on their replacements when they quit or fire them.

Hourly Sales Associate

Hourly (Former Employee) Hodgkins, IL

ProsBoss was nice, hours were reasonable. I was able to move around alot and go outside regulary as I was in the lumber department. The people shopping in the store were decent. For what the job was I couldent complain.

ConsWorking weekends and occasional 5 AM shifts. The position was part time so benifits probably would not be expected but there was nothing special there. There was alot of standing involved on the job as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagment seems fine.

I loved it

Cabinets and Appliance Team Member (Current Employee) Antioch, IL

ProsThe pay is very competitive for part-time retail, I was hired with a starting salary of $.30 above minimum wage, and raises every six months. The work isn't that hard if you don't mind the occasional irate Guest, and the people in the store are fun to work with.

ConsEither too few or too many hours; part-timers are always having their hours cut while managers have to work mandatory 44-48 hr minimums, often closing the store and opening the very next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange management's scheduling to allow for more sleep, cap hours at 40, and hire more employees.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!