Menards

www.menards.com

Menards Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Employees who work over 1,000 hours in a year get an IPS bonus (instant profit sharing) (in 115 reviews)

• Flexible hours, very easy to move up, decent pay with scheduled raises and bonuses (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours standing by a cashier could be stressful during peak season (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Its a good first Job.

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Good day (weekend $2.50 extra)
    -Lots of hours during the summer time, it does slow down during winter but you can still get enough.
    -can easily move up the ladder into management.

Cons

-It is a retail job, so work seclude during early mornings, afternoons, and night.
    -Corporate office interferes to much, when you are trying to run a smooth business.
    -Managers can do pick and choose for fav's.

If you want the company to keep grown, learn to treat you employees a lot better.
    (45min lunch time- Because some menards are in the middle of no where, it takes 15 mins to drive to a restaurant.)

Oppurtunity for growth in a career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked for the company for eight years and have been taught how to adapt to a company with very strict polices and procedures. I have gained very useful knowledge on how to apply my strengths to the company to help it continue to grow and offer value to its customers.

Cons

Very low standards as far as promoting employees to jobs they are not qualified or trained to perform.

Continue to offer great value to customers, but do not forget to offer the same value to your employees as well.

Stress levels are off the charts

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Bridgeview, IL
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Bridgeview, IL

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get hours ugh

Cons

To many managers telling you what to do.

Trust

Easy to get comfortable, awkward hours, very routine, decent pay

Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Plano, IL

I worked at Menards full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to get comfortable, awkward hours, very routine, decent pay, flexible scheduling, opportunity to move up

Cons

long hours, boredom and tiredness sets in quickly, some of the management is power-hungry and/or incompetent

spend more time looking for leaders instead of promoting those who can repeat mundane tasks every day. Management takes more than the ability to Voice-pick more quickly than anyone or ship over 20 specials an hour. Take the time to discover the few leaders that have taken this job for the pay and reward them by letting them prove themselves in an environment that they belong in.

For a retail Job is definitely one of the best.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Hanover Park, IL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Hanover Park, IL

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You can move up with ease. There's lots of opportunity because it's a growing company. The money is not bad, weekend pay and overtime; specially in management positions. As a department manager you can make up 70K if you wanted to. You can also work as much as you want as long as your willing to work hard. Amazing learning environment, lots of training. If you plan on ever owning a home, this job teaches you everything you could ever want to know about maintaining, repairing, or even building a home. Also great if you want to transition into the construction/remodeling field.

Cons

Lots of responsibility in the management positions. Could become stressful at times. Have to be willing to put the company first.

Always give people the chance to respond to positive management techniques first, before trying less positive motivation.

Got the short end of the stick

Former Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, started out $1.55 over minimum plus an additional $2.50 per hour on the weekends, and being paid every week was great.
    10cent raises every 3 months. It may not seem like a lot, but it adds up fast.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

Can't get your hours changed (as a college student and part time employee I wanted a few less hours during the semester and that simply did not fly)
    Why I feel I got the short end of the stick: (these may not be issues at other stores)
       The GM at the store I worked for was extremely rude and demeaning.
       Multiple managers for the same department were never on the same page as to what basic procedure and protocol was.
       Promotions went to "favorites" instead of being based on experience and ability.

When you come in to review the store, talk to the non-management staff to see how they think things are going. I know a lot of people had some great ideas that our store managers wouldn't listen to, and it would also help expose the favoritism and unfair promotion policies that may be taking place.

Distribution center, alright sometimes, frustrating others

Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Plano, IL

I worked at Menards full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Weekend pay bonus +2.50 per hr
    gifts mailed to you for every holiday (sometimes cool stuff)
    chance to win prizes for working safely
    lots of mandatory overtime (if you see that as a pro)
    1 to 2 times a year to make bonus cash (Menards gift check) just for not calling off and meeting hour requirement

Cons

Very bad communication between departments/supervisors
    Starting pay is very low and maxes out well below what other similar jobs in the area pay
    Sometimes set productivity goals that are impossible to achieve, fail to realize the factors that affect reaching them
    Often have to fix problems caused by other people's laziness
    Health insurance is very expensive for little coverage
    Not very much appreciation for your hard work
    They play favorites, you'll have it super easy if you are buddies with the management, if not your out of luck

Get everyone on the same page
    Treat employees like they are valued
    Quit playing favorites

Morning Stocker

Former Employee - Morning Stocker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Morning Stocker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a great store to gain experience

Cons

if your not a morning person dont bother appying

Terror

Current Employee - Pants in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Pants in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

Everything bad bad bad bad

Stop the madness

Store needs help

Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Carpentersville, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on store the people are good. Pay is decent.

Cons

One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was when I transferred out of a store which I loved into a store that clearly no one knows how to run. I was brought to the new store to fix the department. The plumbing dept I'm in now is in complete shambles. How do you fix something that is already broken? The I get so frustrated and the general managers laugh it off like its nothing. I came from a store that passed all their inventory audits. The store I'm in now the dept. has never passed one. are you kidding me??? Again the management laughs it off. How are you not getting in trouble for that? Then they are pressuring everyone to do at home training. All you get when you are done is a stupid piece of paper saying congrats oh and on top of that you don't get paid to do the training. Now from what I understand that any sort of work related training you have to get paid for it. I know it's just an option but I'm sorry I have better things to do with my time than to do training at home I mean come on seriously. I work 50-55hrs a week 4 days closing then be at work at 630 am yeah I'm exhausted. 10-12 hr shifts almost everyday.

Your associates are not superman/superwoman, cut back on the management hours and general managers get your act together see what we see. Get more knowledgeable people.