Menards

www.menards.com

Menards Reviews in Indianapolis, IN

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Lots of hours translated to good total income and profit sharing(in 92 reviews)

• Competitive wages, many hours available, bonus pay on weekends, employee profit sharing(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance - your life is Menards(in 21 reviews)

• Long hours even if you dont want them with less then 6 hours between shifts(in 46 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A nice clean place to work and make friends

Morning Stocker Menards (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsYou will learn a lot about the department you work in. You will learn about different products which is great if you have a project at home and you know what products you need. You will also meet nice customers time to time. It is great working as a team. Everyone is very helpful to make sure every team member succeeds.

ConsIt is difficult working in a department you know little about and their products. Customers have a lot of questions at times and it can be challenging to constantly look for a team member to help. You also have a lot of training to do with the computer. It can be overwhelming learning all of the small details at the store.

Good company to work for.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsHard work rewarded. Can advance quickly. One of the highest paying jobs in retail

ConsRestrictive scheduling for full timers and managers. Have to be willing to relocate if you want rapid advancement.
    30 minute lunches

Advice to Senior ManagementLet managers have more control of scheduling. Ease up on payroll constraints.

They pay well but you must work for it.

Receiver (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsPays relatively well, some flexibility offered

ConsMost pay is in bonuses, requires long hours for management

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect more on a store level

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant

Cabinets and Appliances Team Member (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Prosflexible, fun around tax time

Conscrazy people, silly tasks that are counter productive, receiving is slow in big stores

Advice to Senior Managementdon't sweat the small stuff

Great department managers but the general manager only cares for himself.

Hardware Team Member (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsI had awesome managers who constantly had us doing work. The work projects were explained very well.

ConsThe upper management was horrible meaning the general managers. They didnt care about anything except getting their bonus.

Low pay, but good job for being between dates of career employment. Work is extremely tedious, yet routine and simple.

Delivery Coordinator (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsDecent pay for a job that requires no experience. The incentives for yearly bonuses depending on amount of hours worked per year are nice and accumulate over the years, which is a reason why so many people may continue a career with Menards.

ConsLow pay, and work is extremely tedious, yet routine and simple. Management is always breathing down your neck, even for remedial work. Corporate policies are frustrating at best, and they play the same terrible 80's feel-good/family-adhering playlist over and over and over. Other than that, not a bad gig for when you are between dates of career employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more constructive, and less adhering to ridiculous policies.

Great place to work while attending college.

Receiving (Current Employee) Greenwood, IN

ProsPretty flexible with your schedule, especially when it comes to school. If you have a good reason to miss work, they will certainly work with you.

ConsThe 5am shifts are horrible, and if you are not careful, you will find yourself working at 5am 3 or 4 days a week. Some of the work is sometimes pretty physically demanding, especially during the summer. It is very cold during the winter, so dress for the weather!

they helped me with experience in many different job areas.

First Assistant Front End Manager (Current Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsHave great oppertunities to move up into management. Flexible for students. In-Home training to learn about everything in the store.

ConsStressful for families. A lot of hours for Managers with no exceptions without a doctors note. Not many cons about Menards.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to teach people in different ways. Everybody learns differently

Over worked and under paid!

First Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsProfit sharing. Opportunity to move up quickly if you are willing to move.

ConsLow pay, they pride themselves on profit sharing and bonuses. As a assistant manager I made 11.50 an hour. They promised over 15k in bonuses for the year (I didn't see it). They don't recognize all college degrees. Worked open to close (16 hours) on every other weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise wages and people will stay! Recognize all degrees!

A fun job for part timers, hell for managers

Department Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

Pros- Working with regular customers can be a pleasure.
    - Home improvement projects can actually be a lot of fun to learn and talk about.

Cons- Not enough payroll is allocated to maintain a proper sales staff while completing constant merchandising projects.
    - Company culture... all managers are told explicitly that they are expendable. During the recession, managers' jobs were held over their heads, and jobs were threatened every time a customer complained.
    - Schedules are demanding and offer no flexibility. I missed multiple weddings and funerals while I worked there. When you ask if you could possibly get time off for events like that, it's not granted and you're automatically put on store managements sh*tlist.
    - No opportunity to advance beyond Assistant Department Manager without relocating out-of-state. Literally a requirement, no exceptions.
    - I honestly could write a book about how much I hated this place. Spare yourself and stay away from their management program.

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!