Menards
www.menards.com Eau Claire, WI 5000+ Employees

Menards Reviews in Minnesota

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.

John R. Menard Jr.

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Be prepared work hard for little pay

Sales Team Member (Current Employee)
    Eden Prairie, MN

ProsGreat growth opportunities for people without degrees, Menards will do what they need to get managers and will pay to work you through the ranks.

ConsBurn out members by drinking too much kool-aid, Managers get burnt out quick, take the knowledge and run!! Upper management will over work and burn out your managers quick, not much for down time for family

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the opportunity to be themselves, upper management burns out your team members

It was ok.

Management Intern (Former Employee)
    Red Wing, MN

ProsYou get an extra 2.00 an hour on weekends.

ConsWhen its not a weekend you make a blistering $8.35. You do a few extra things as an intern but really you are just another team member on the floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

They are not loyal

Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Bemidji, MN

ProsThe middle management sticks together

ConsThe top level is out for them selves.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values and be a real team.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pros & Cons

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

ProsGood people to work with .

ConsSuper poor upper management. No motivation to move up and better yourself while working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better, like they are management. The business starts from the ground up.

You work hard or you leave.

Morning Stocker (Current Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsIf you want to get in shape come work here. There is always something that needs to be done. You get profit sharing and that is about it.

ConsYou get lots of hours to work most of the year, if that is your thing. This equates to most of your good income coming from overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your working more. Stop telling departments that they can't give overtime so you can get a fatter paycheck.

Fantastic

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Blaine, MN

ProsA great place for an entry level job. The weekend incentive pay is great, the staff is helpful, it is an exciting place to come to work, decent hours.

ConsInability to gain a pay raise before age 18, dark environment (hardware store not much to expect-cement floors with high lighting)

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a direct form of contact with direct supervisor (cell phone, pager, or whatever)

Frustrating

Management (Current Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

ProsSome of the good things about working for Menards include pay, your coworkers and how easy it is to advance (if you're willing to relocate). Instant profit sharing. Overtime. Premium pay on weekends.

ConsThe cons of working at Menards definitely outweigh the pros. Department Managers/Assistants are required to work a closing shift a minimum of two days per week. Because we are shorthanded at my store, this usually ends up being 3 or even 4 nights per week. Being shorthanded also means freight isn't getting put away in a timely manner, so closers end up staying 45 minutes to an hour past close. Defiantly no work/life balance. Despite being as shorthanded as we are, there seems to be little progress being made in regards to hiring. Motorized equipment (forklifts etc) are old, worn out and constantly broke down. Between equipment issues and being shorthanded, our "Dedication to Service and Quality" is a joke, as our are constantly waiting for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring issues must be addressed. Also, I think a starting wage increase would help us attract more quality candidates. Get us out of the store no later than a half hour after close. New motorized equipment.

Soul sucking...

Sales Team Member (Current Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

ProsGood product and project experience.

ConsKills you a little every day.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Poor communication and management styel

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Rochester, MN

ProsExtra pay on the weekends.

ConsI was hired as a cashier part-time (15-20 hours per week). Was trained as a cashier, but during set up of the new store was asked to stock shelves and breakdown cardboard (not what I signed on for). Was expected to work 12 hour days, when I applied for a part-time job. Worked in the store (prior to opening) and was never introduced to my department manager. I figured out who he was by process of elimination. Asked to be scheduled for only 15 hours per week, and first schedule came out with more than that. Was told I only had to work every other weekend was scheduled for every weekend. I feel they have a lot to learn about hiring new employees, and training practices. I have worked at a company for 35 years and have never experienced anything like this before. I quit before the store actually opened because I was so frustrated with their practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your employees (provide opportunities for them to work in their position before put out on their own).
    Make sure a new hire is introduced to department managers and don't leave them on their own.

Good job for a college student

Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsFlexible schedule if you are part time... full time, forget it, you're stuck. Weekend pay is a small benefit.

ConsNo formal training in a dept... a very large packet of information that is not helpful and after being in a department makes you laugh at the "information" they provide. Your "merit" raises consist of 10 cents every 6 months if you pass a test. Poor health insurance that costs more than it should. Moral is low in many of the stores due to fines imposed on the managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork/life balance is non-existent with this company, they expect you to bleed Menards blue. Realize that the people that work in the stores are PEOPLE!

Worked for Menards? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Menards reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Menards CEO John R. Menard Jr. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Menards employees.