Menards

www.menards.com

Menards Reviews in Minnesota

Updated October 4, 2014
Updated October 4, 2014

Menards President and CEO John R. Menard Jr.
John R. Menard Jr.

Pros
  • Employees who work over 1,000 hours in a year get an IPS bonus (instant profit sharing) (in 111 reviews)

• Flexible hours, very easy to move up, decent pay with scheduled raises and bonuses (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours standing by a cashier could be stressful during peak season (in 54 reviews)

• No work/life balance - your life is Menards (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was a great experience and I gained a lot of knowledge,

Former Employee - Department Manager in Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Blaine, MN

I worked at Menards full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay.
    Learning new experiences.
    Good working environment.

Cons

Tough schedule.
    Having to do some of people's work.

Be more detailed in training

Not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waite Park, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waite Park, MN

I have been working at Menards full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Instant profit sharing, nearly unlimited hours (whether you want them or not) mostly fun coworkers, extra $2.50 per hour on weekends.

Cons

No work/life balance, working every other weekend, no 401K match, high insurance premiums, raises are only $.10 cents every six months and you are required to pass a competency test to get them. When I started with Menards, our wages were very competitive with other companies, but now our starting wages are not even on par with fast food restaurants. This results in good, qualified employees leaving for better opportunities. The new hires that replace them (if they get replaced at all) are typically less qualified, less motivated and rarely last a month before they quit. Every department in the store is understaffed and messy. Freight piles up and customers don't get help. The payroll to sales ratio (which is dictated by corporate) is so unbalanced that most departments can't afford to have enough people working to take care of all the freight and other tasks and help customers. Team members that are scheduled to work until close are often forced to stay an hour or more after close to stock freight and clean up, even if they work early the next day or have class or another job in the morning. Lots of favoritism with scheduling. Some full time employees never close (even though company policy requires all full timers to close at least one day per week) and others close four to five nights per week. We get much more freight than we have room for, and are never given any direction from corporate on where to store it. This contributes to the overall messiness and disorganization of the store. When we get visitors from corporate, they ask why we have so much freight (like we can control that) and order us to clean it up without giving us any clear direction on how to accomplish this.
    Managers are so busy that they have no time to train employees, which results in untrained and unhappy employees, which results in dissatisfied customers.

Corporate continues to require more with less, and can't seem to comprehend why stores are messy and understaffed.

A significant wage increase is required to be competitive with other companies.
    Give departments more payroll so we can have enough staff to keep the store clean and help customers.
    Change the way we receive freight so that we can keep up with inflow and not get so much freight that we have no space for it.
    End favoritism.
    Give experienced full time and part time employees more responsibility to free managers up to train new employees.

Stop treating your employees like children.

Wall Coverings Associate

Current Employee - Wall Coverings in Cottage Grove, MN
    Current Employee - Wall Coverings in Cottage Grove, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job, low stress, paid time and a half to work weekend hours.

Cons

Management is constantly watching the employees on the camera's,--No trust. Low pay, and low raises--if any! Hard to move up. Long hours. They are open nearly year round, so expect to work all the holidays.

Use the camera's to watch for thefts in the store, not watching employees.

Not bad.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Richfield, MN

I worked at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get some decent pay
    The hours are pretty flexible
    You meet some really good people
    The locations can be convenient.

Cons

Not so many hours when it's not busy.
    They will cut you from 25 hours a week to 12 hours a week.

Long hours, Low Pay.

Former Employee - Second Assistant Hardware Manager in Oakdale, MN
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Hardware Manager in Oakdale, MN

I worked at Menards full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get paind an extra $2.50 an hour on the weekend and there is yearly profit sharing. There is also a 50 cent bump for drving a forklift as well. Menards will also send you cheap made from China gifts in the mail for EVERY holiday. For Easter we got sun tan loation samples. There is also a culture within the company to promote its managers from within.

Cons

If the store wasn't making payroll managers would be forced to work 6 days a week. As an asst. dept manager I was working 45-50 hours a week. Many days I would be working til close than opening the store the next day. The company overworks their people. It would take 6 plus years to get into the corporate level. The culture and management place too large of an emphasis on sales and not enough attention is paid to the customers.

As a college graduate I only made 29k last year and that was working 45-50 hours a week. (Hardly enough to live on with student loans). We were constantly being micro-managed from the other managers in the store. I had 4 bosses telling me 4 different things.

Also, you can't think for yourself and make your own decisions. Everything needs approval from HDQ 's. If you do something new and unexpected you will told to follow the plan. The Plan-O-Grams rarely make sense and most of the time you don't have the product to fill the shelf.

I was "volunteered" several times to work store remodels that would take several weeks or months depending on the situation. That will happen when the GM is pressured to come up with their required number of "volunteers" per store for the project.

Don't be afraid to let others think outside of the box. Also, put more of an emphasis on the guest and not on payroll to sales per week.

Great

Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn Park, MN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Brooklyn Park, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

$2.50 incentive on weekends, flexible schedules, great first job

Cons

Not any cons right now

Poor treatment of employees.

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Menards part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, more than other home goods stores in the area
    Relatively relaxed dress, only required to wear pants and a Menards vest

Cons

Very difficult to "fit in" for women, even if you know about the business
    Staff didn't seem to enjoy their jobs either which didn't make for a positive experience

Act like you take pride in your work, even if you don't; it will rub off on your employees and make everyone's experience better.

Be prepared work hard for little pay

Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great growth opportunities for people without degrees, Menards will do what they need to get managers and will pay to work you through the ranks.

Cons

Burn out members by drinking too much kool-aid, Managers get burnt out quick, take the knowledge and run!! Upper management will over work and burn out your managers quick, not much for down time for family

Give people the opportunity to be themselves, upper management burns out your team members

It was ok.

Former Employee - Management Intern in Red Wing, MN
    Former Employee - Management Intern in Red Wing, MN

I worked at Menards full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get an extra 2.00 an hour on weekends.

Cons

When its not a weekend you make a blistering $8.35. You do a few extra things as an intern but really you are just another team member on the floor.

None

They are not loyal

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Bemidji, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Bemidji, MN

I worked at Menards full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The middle management sticks together

Cons

The top level is out for them selves.

Live the values and be a real team.